Bad experience...so upset !

zibeline91

O.G.
Jul 19, 2006
hi everyone !

I just want to share my BAD experience with you.
I have some jewels that i do not wear anymore and in the same time i 'm looking for a Cartier watch. ;)
So monday i decided to go to an jeweller to sell my hermes watch, Dior gold ring and Mauboussin ring. They told me that they are interested but unfortunatly the expert was not here. and they ask me to come tomorrow.
So that's what i did.
Yesterday, the expert looked my Ring Dior and said : "Well, that's just gold ring, nothing special...i just give you the price for gold !":huh:
What !!!! nothing spécial!!! Gold letters moving all around the ring is nothing ???
I said NO !!!:rtr:
Then she looked my Mauboussin ring : " the amethyst are ugly...that cost nothing... i propose 150€ " Gloups...my ring cost in store 1500 € !!!
And my Hermes watch (kelly) : " That the same, all that brand are just marketing ! i propose 250 € !":cursing:

I was so upset ! she treats me like a fashionnista who doesn't know the "real value" of the thing.
She told me : " you should try to sell it in a market place...or a "second hand store" where you can find some people like you who are just interested to wear brand and have money to spend in that."
And to finish...she tried to sell me some jewels from his store !!!:wtf:
I could not belived this...I took all my stuff and i gone.
How can someone could speak like that.

So...i must wait for my watch...until i found another jewellery !

Does anyone have the same experience ?

I'm sorry you had such a negative experience. Unfortunately though, the jeweler was right. If you look at all of our bags and designer jewels, their actual "worth" is only for the gold and stones unless you get another person, like us, who loves the brand. The items are so expensive because of their name, not because of the actual materials. If I tried to sell my Chanel Jumbo flap to someone who didn't know or appreciate designer items, they would look at me like I was insane for spending $2500 on a leather and base metal bag. Really, there's nothing special about it except the design.

Sorry you had to go through that, but Stophle is correct. There is a HUGE markup and designer goods and that is why it shold never be purchased as investment. Buy it because you love it.

Save for the Cartier and if you truly don't want the other items anymore, try selling it through ebay or another format where someone is looking for the designer brand.

There is a big markup in non-brand jewelry and then when you add the brand name on top of the already big markup for jewelry, it does make for a huge markup on name brand jewelry. If you want to get at least maybe 30% back from selling your jewelry, than I agree to try ebay or something similiar. I've been there before, I tried to sell my old jewelry as well and I was offered next to nothing, so I sold most of it on ebay and I got quite a bit more that way. Good luck and I'm sorry this happened to you!

Ebay is probably the right answer, but if you don't want to deal with individuals (it makes me nervous) you need to work with a consignment shop that specializes in designer items rather than a jeweler as the value is in the brand not the materials. Good luck!

I'm sorry you had such a negative experience. Unfortunately though, the jeweler was right. If you look at all of our bags and designer jewels, their actual "worth" is only for the gold and stones unless you get another person, like us, who loves the brand. The items are so expensive because of their name, not because of the actual materials. If I tried to sell my Chanel Jumbo flap to someone who didn't know or appreciate designer items, they would look at me like I was insane for spending $2500 on a leather and base metal bag. Really, there's nothing special about it except the design.

This is true. The brand only matters to someone shopping for the brand, not a jeweler who will likely melt something down. It is only the gold weight that matters to a jeweler. But designer jewelry ought to fetch a decent price in resale to an interested individual, just not to a jeweler.

I had a similar experience with a jewelry store, who specialized in reselling designer jewelry. I wanted to sell some designer jewelry with a retail value of over 7000. They tried to give me 400 only, the gold value was worth much more than that, so I walked. I was able to sell the jewelry for over 3000 on ebay. I am glad I did not sell it to jewelry store!

It's also not even that they don't care about the brand, they won't give you much because they want to be able to resell for a massive profit.

The jeweller has no guarantee that someone else will walk in the store who cares about the brand. That particular jeweller phrased things a little bluntly, but to stay in business jewellers need to make SOMe profit and its tough out there right now. Most jewellers in my area have totally stopped doing consignment as things can sit in the showcase for 2 years or more.
They know they can get the value of the materials (gold) and that's all they know for sure. So that's all they are going to give you. If you were trying to sell, for instance, the Dior 'oui' ring--there truly is not much gold in it, they were not lying.
Good luck to you selling on Ebay, there are still people out there who want designer so that should work for you if you are patient. I guess otherwise it is a lesson learned as to 'real' value as opposed to the value imposed by status and advertising..

Are there any brand watch/jewerly resale boutique? They might pay for more, especially if what you try to sell is high in demand. Normally, you cannot make profits by selling your watches/jewelies. So people are able to find good deals with pawnbrokes.:P

As black jade says, directly finding a "new owner" via e-bay might work better. Good luck!:smile:

I had a similar experience with a jewelry store, who specialized in reselling designer jewelry. I wanted to sell some designer jewelry with a retail value of over 7000. They tried to give me 400 only, the gold value was worth much more than that, so I walked. I was able to sell the jewelry for over 3000 on ebay. I am glad I did not sell it to jewelry store!
If you have a $7000 Rolex watch, I am sure they will offer more than $400 :smile:

I don't and never will buy designer accessories or jewelries because their depreciation too high.

Not if that rolex watch is a discontinued model. Trust me.

What you buy retail doesn't mean once you walk out of the store that item is worth much more than the scrap value. (Unless you have an appraisal & even then it can be iffy.) Especially true with designer jewelry. If you love the item, buy it & don't worry what it'll sell for down the road.

Stuff is only worth what someone will pay for it. Kwim.

I was trying to sell a gold Louis Vuitton charm, a Bvlgari ring, and 2 Cartier rings, not a Rolex. They were all 18k and weighed about 45 grams in total, when gold was about 1250/oz. I am glad I was able to get about half of the value back by selling on ebay!