Bad Experience in Mulberry store

Hi Guys

Im new to the forum and the world of Mulberry and I was going to purchase my first one in a few weeks time.
I was after the Cookie Bag the SBS in Oak
But I have to say having read this conversation im slightly concerned.
I would have thought like all you have prev said, paying such a large sum of money for a bag for it to last a fair while and if any problems were encounted then the level of customer service to be excellent
Im really having doubts now and I was soooo looking forward to getting my Cookie Bag tried it yesterday and it was lush x

I must say that I have received very good customer service from Mulberry- on the two occasions that I had a problem with my bags, they were checked and then replaced for me. It made me feel a lot more confident about buying Mulberry bags knowing that if something went wrong it would be taken care of.

Hi Guys

Im new to the forum and the world of Mulberry and I was going to purchase my first one in a few weeks time.
I was after the Cookie Bag the SBS in Oak
But I have to say having read this conversation im slightly concerned.
I would have thought like all you have prev said, paying such a large sum of money for a bag for it to last a fair while and if any problems were encounted then the level of customer service to be excellent
Im really having doubts now and I was soooo looking forward to getting my Cookie Bag tried it yesterday and it was lush x

I wouldn't worry if I were you. If you think of the (probably quite literally) thousands of mulberries sold each week as against the number of people complaining on here, the odds of you having a problem are really quite low!

Having said that, I had a problem with my silky snake SBS (see my thread 'is this fair wear and tear') and after having read this thread was a bit worried about the reception I would get! But when I took it back in store they couldn't have been more helpful. Sent it off to the repair centre for assessment and within 2 weeks agreed that she couldn't be repaired and offered me a credit voucher as she was a seasonal bag and so couldn't be replaced like for like either. The customer service was excellent and I'm very happy!

I wouldn't worry if I were you. If you think of the (probably quite literally) thousands of mulberries sold each week as against the number of people complaining on here, the odds of you having a problem are really quite low!

Having said that, I had a problem with my silky snake SBS (see my thread 'is this fair wear and tear') and after having read this thread was a bit worried about the reception I would get! But when I took it back in store they couldn't have been more helpful. Sent it off to the repair centre for assessment and within 2 weeks agreed that she couldn't be repaired and offered me a credit voucher as she was a seasonal bag and so couldn't be replaced like for like either. The customer service was excellent and I'm very happy!

Thanks for your reply I can see what your saying and I hope too that the percentage of faults would be quite low in comparasion to sales made
I was looking at the silky snake Alexa and the SBS in Cookie Oak at the weekend
The SA mentioned the silky snake could flake up after a while of using it so that put me off abit but I did love the SBS cookie bag in oak
Did u find with your SBS that the handles were ok? The only thing that I was concerned about was whether the handles would eventually drop down and poke out if I used it by the long handles mostly?

Other than that I loved it !! Can I ask what your fault with the silky snake was?
Mulberry have said that the Cookie is a seasonal piece too so will prob go in the sale next but the SA said that they may sell out before it gets to the sale

Also he offered to punch another hole in the strap for me to make it shorter have you ever had this done ? Just wondered if they done it like the other punched holes?
Also on one of the new bags he brought out for me to see one of them didnt have any protective film on the metal pieces would I found strange for a new bag

Thanks again

Thanks for your reply I can see what your saying and I hope too that the percentage of faults would be quite low in comparasion to sales made
I was looking at the silky snake Alexa and the SBS in Cookie Oak at the weekend
The SA mentioned the silky snake could flake up after a while of using it so that put me off abit but I did love the SBS cookie bag in oak
Did u find with your SBS that the handles were ok? The only thing that I was concerned about was whether the handles would eventually drop down and poke out if I used it by the long handles mostly?

Other than that I loved it !! Can I ask what your fault with the silky snake was?
sorry for taking a while to reply to this! I had quite a few problems with mine - leather got dry and cracked, corners wore aware too quickly, glue on the handles was coming apart, and the flap didn't sit properly. The snakeskin was flaking up too. I knew that it might happen but I wasn't prepared for how it actually looked when it did! The snake this season has much larger 'scales', the ones on my SBS were tiny, so you may not have the same problem.

Sorry I didn't get an extra hole in the strap but I do know that they do it (properly, in M shops, not like a dodgy shoe repair place lol!). If it makes it sit better on you and more versatile, then I'd go for it.

hope that helps

I find it all very concerning that Mulberry never offer a refund for a faulty bag. I know why, so it keeps them from having poor sales, fabricating the figures etc but I am not sure how they can get away with it. Is this right, don't we as customer have a right to a refund if a bag of that expense if actually faulty or breaks within a very short period of time. :wtf:

Yesterday I took my black regular Alexa to my local Mulberry store to send her off for repair because she has multiple defects. Which for a bag that is just under a year old was really disappointing.

I went into the store my usual cheery self expecting the same high level of service when purchasing something from there but in the end left with a bad taste in my mouth and pretty hacked off.

The SA I dealt with was very nice until I explained that I had to send an item for repair, then the shutters came down and SA was very abrupt and snappy. Now, I am a bit of an anal sort so wrote up a wee list of the issues with my bag, all in all there are 6. But my main concerns were that the inking around the handle braid (~ 4cm) has came off, the inking on the left top edge of the bag has done the same and the front plate has tarnished dramatically.

I point out all of my issues and explain that I am really disappointed considering the cost of the bag and how well I have mothered it. My wee Alexa has never been placed on the floor, stored in her dust bag and colloniled regularly. SA then says that this is normal and that its just "wear & tear". At this point I am devastated that someone would think that issues like these are normal for a bag that now retails at £785.

SA then proceeds to ignore us while filling in repair form, not consulting me about the content. After form filling is complete, 10 mins later the SA informs me that they will call when the repair guys have informed them if the bag is to be repaired but they don't think it will come to that as its "normal wear" *screams in head*. My receipt is then flung across the counter at me and my sorry little self leaves the store. I need a coffee after my ordeal, whilst in there my boyfriend then reads the yellow repair slip which ends with "customer not happy" with "happy" underlined. Am I being overly sensitive reading this remark? I would assume most customers sending a year old bag for repair won't be too chuffed and that is doesn't need to be stated and then underlined.

Arrrggh! I really expected more from Mulberry with its repairs. I was made to feel as if coming in was an overreaction and that my concerns were nonsense. Perhaps I have been spoiled with the service I got in Chanel when I needed a repair, they were excellent. Should I really expect the same level of customer care in Mulberry?

Have you ladies had issues like this?
How have your repairs went?

Apologies for my rant but I am really gutted. Someones just popped by Mulberry balloon :sad:
Wow - that is shocking behaviour - the SA in question should be ashamed of herself - if that happened to me I would be extremely upset - and yes, it certainly rather takes the shine off the brand - but maybe you were just unlucky on that day - I had a similar experience with Jessops (the camera shop!!) - not high end, I know, and I think with the top designer brands it is somehow even worse if you have a bad experience. The Jessops guy was possibly the rudest individual I have EVER come across - but

Yesterday I took my black regular Alexa to my local Mulberry store to send her off for repair because she has multiple defects. Which for a bag that is just under a year old was really disappointing.

I went into the store my usual cheery self expecting the same high level of service when purchasing something from there but in the end left with a bad taste in my mouth and pretty hacked off.

The SA I dealt with was very nice until I explained that I had to send an item for repair, then the shutters came down and SA was very abrupt and snappy. Now, I am a bit of an anal sort so wrote up a wee list of the issues with my bag, all in all there are 6. But my main concerns were that the inking around the handle braid (~ 4cm) has came off, the inking on the left top edge of the bag has done the same and the front plate has tarnished dramatically.

I point out all of my issues and explain that I am really disappointed considering the cost of the bag and how well I have mothered it. My wee Alexa has never been placed on the floor, stored in her dust bag and colloniled regularly. SA then says that this is normal and that its just "wear & tear". At this point I am devastated that someone would think that issues like these are normal for a bag that now retails at £785.

SA then proceeds to ignore us while filling in repair form, not consulting me about the content. After form filling is complete, 10 mins later the SA informs me that they will call when the repair guys have informed them if the bag is to be repaired but they don't think it will come to that as its "normal wear" *screams in head*. My receipt is then flung across the counter at me and my sorry little self leaves the store. I need a coffee after my ordeal, whilst in there my boyfriend then reads the yellow repair slip which ends with "customer not happy" with "happy" underlined. Am I being overly sensitive reading this remark? I would assume most customers sending a year old bag for repair won't be too chuffed and that is doesn't need to be stated and then underlined.

Arrrggh! I really expected more from Mulberry with its repairs. I was made to feel as if coming in was an overreaction and that my concerns were nonsense. Perhaps I have been spoiled with the service I got in Chanel when I needed a repair, they were excellent. Should I really expect the same level of customer care in Mulberry?

Have you ladies had issues like this?
How have your repairs went?

Apologies for my rant but I am really gutted. Someones just popped by Mulberry balloon :sad:
Bless you - I really feel for you and it's sad if it has tarnished your feelings for the brand - but perhaps you just caught the SA on a (very) bad day - but it is still no excuse for such disgusting behaviour - you expect it even less, and it is somehow even more shocking, in high-end retail. I had same sort of experience in Jessops (the camera people - so from the sublime to the ridiculous!!!) - said SA (male) was agressive and absolutely totally out of order and left me shaking!! - takes a lot to do that to me I have to say - I duly complained to the manager and it was achingly obvious that I was not the first to lodge a complaint about this particular individual - made me feel a little better!! BUT the point is that no one should have to put up with that, and I do hope the outcome is good for you in the end - but yes you should ultimately take it up with customer services if situation isn't sorted to your satisfaction - no self-respecting bonafide Customer Rep for Mulberry will leave you in the lurch - they have a brand with a huge heritage of high quality to uphold - their life won't be worth living if they don't. Best of luck:smile:....

After having largely positive experiences with my local store when returning faulty bags, I have now joined the ranks of the disillusioned.

Three faulty bags in the last year. That's bad enough.

The last one was the Nettle Green Croc Nappa Bays. The first one I got was ordered into the store in April and I took it on trust without inspecting it . Got home and discovered it was scuffed around the middle where where protective card was. Returned the next day and a second one ordered in and that one was perfect. However after the second time of use I found the base covered in scuffs and peeling leather. The bag was still less than a month old. No apologies from the SA, just a frosty "mm no-one else has complained". Well they wouldn't because it wasn't stocked in Glasgow and had to be ordered in for me. It was obvious that she did not want to acknowledge a fault. It was sent to repairs "urgently" and in the meantime I contacted the head of CS and asked her to intervene. Well she did, and today I got an email saying that tests have shown leather quality had "not lived up to expectations" . I have been offered a replacement but not a refund. I replied saying thanks but no thanks I want my money back. No reply as yet.

I am done with Mulberry.

Hi darling corries

I'm afraid mulberry are making no effort to source, use, road test leathers .......designers are calling the shots over quality and manufacture.

Lol - rather like the car company I worked for: bottom of jd powers virtually every year but won all the style awards, unbelievable!!!

Hi darling corries

I'm afraid mulberry are making no effort to source, use, road test leathers .......designers are calling the shots over quality and manufacture.

Lol - rather like the car company I worked for: bottom of jd powers virtually every year but won all the style awards, unbelievable!!!

A triumph of marketing over material these days Ellie. I think they have miscalculated with the Del Boy though. Nobody over here gives a stuff about her.

It is such a shame that a company which has had such a very good reputation is now drawing reviews such as these. Certainly it does appear the more recent leathers are not as durable or resilient as those used on earlier models.

With regard to refunds, Mulberry's policy does not state that a refund will be offered within the guarantee period.....They can therefore; repair, replace and if unable to do either can choose to offer you a credit note or vouchers or a refund but legally are not obliged to automatically refund you.....

"The Mulberry Guarantee

Mulberry takes great pride in the design and craftsmanship of all its products. We seek to use only the finest materials and the highest manufacturing standards. We strive to make sure every item we sell is perfect.

In the unlikely event that a Mulberry product does not match up to our high standards we will try our hardest to address the problem. Our leather bags, accessories and luggage carry a 12 month guarantee and if within this period you find fault with your product, we offer a repair or replacement service at no extra cost to you.

If you find an issue with your product within the guarantee period please take it to your nearest Mulberry store or concession, or contact Customer Services who will be able to advise you.

We offer a repairs service for our bags at our Somerset factory in the UK. If a repair is possible, any work will be carried out free of charge if the product is still in the guarantee period. The repairs service is also available to bags outside of this period for a nominal fee..."

Last edited:
Finally got my money back Mo. They didn't fight it just tried to point me in the direction of a replacement. This is my third Mulberry problem in a year with one of them being mammoth. I really can't face another one or I would have gone for a Midnight Heritage Bays. I have seen teddies' and it is gorgeous. But the thought of another "me again" moment returning yet another duff bag is too off putting.

Finally got my money back Mo. They didn't fight it just tried to point me in the direction of a replacement. This is my third Mulberry problem in a year with one of them being mammoth. I really can't face another one or I would have gone for a Midnight Heritage Bays. I have seen teddies' and it is gorgeous. But the thought of another "me again" moment returning yet another duff bag is too off putting.

Hi Corries,

Nice to "see" you. Glad to hear you did get a refund. It does appear that quality is becoming an issue for Mulberry and certainly in view of recent comment I decided to sell on my SBS in silky snake before even using it....not what you want to be doing with bags at these price points I agree. Three problem bags in twelve months is no joke at all....

X