Bad Experience at Louis Vuitton

Robyn Roberts

May 29, 2018
Hello!

I just purchased my first luxury handbag for my 21st birthday and unfortunately had a pretty poor experience with my sales associate at Louis Vuitton. I just wanted to share my experience and get some advice or thoughts for when I decide to shop again in the future.

On my birthday I planned to go to Louis Vuitton, Gucci and YSL to see the bags I had on my list, go to lunch to discuss them with my fiancé, and then once I was sure return to one of the stores to purchase.

The first store I went to was Louis Vuitton. As soon as I arrived I was greeted by a sales associate that asked me what I was looking for. I told her I was interested in the Alma bb and she showed me the bag. I put it on crossbody and she made a comment about how it looked short on me because of my large breasts. This made me feel really self conscious and uncomfortable. While examining the bag, I noticed a deep scuff on the side of the bag and pointed it out to her. She gasped and snatched the bag out of my hands and told me she wouldn’t sell it to me. I understand not wanting to sell a damaged bag, but didn’t appreciate her grabbing it from me.

She told me she would call a customer who had the only other bag in the store on reserve and ask her if she could sell it to me. I felt uncomfortable about this and requested that she not do that but she told me it was no trouble. I waited with my fiancé for several minutes and felt very strrsssed our. She was extremely pushy and wanting to sell me a bag desperately. Each time I tried to tell her I wanted to think about it she would talk over me and insist.

Eventually, my fiancé stepped in and told her that this was our first stop of the day and we wanted to be sure that we wanted the bag before taking someone else’s reserved piece.

She got really pouty and aggressive after he said this and quickly took my information on an iPad. She printed out a reserve form for me tossed it on the counter. She told me that if someone else came in before I came back asking for the back that she’d Sell it because I didn’t give her the money for it. It was very awkward and I felt mortified by the experience.

After shopping around, I realized that the Alma was the bag I wanted and was able to purchase it without running into her again, thankfully.

How should I handle pushy SA’s in the future? I found this experience to be really stressful and uncomfortable which was so disappointing for me.

Well, luckily you bought it from another sa so I would just stick with that sa from now on assuming you had a pleasant experience with him/her. Hopefully you got his/her number so you can just text him/her directly without having to deal with the aggressive sa. I recently had an agressive sa experience as well. Not all SAs are like your first one thankfully. Enjoy your bag!!! Congrats.

Well, luckily you bought it from another sa so I would just stick with that sa from now on assuming you had a pleasant experience with him/her. Hopefully you got his/her number so you can just text him/her directly without having to deal with the aggressive sa. I recently had an agressive sa experience as well. Not all SAs are like your first one thankfully. Enjoy your bag!!! Congrats.

Hi Kevin!

Thanks for the kind words!

I didn’t really have much of a conversation with the SA I met when I returned and wasn’t offered her name or card.

I’m not expecting champagne or a red carpet when I shop, but I do expect a little kindness and understanding from the associates. Hopefully the next experience will be better!

I think I’ll be more firm when I need to say no in the future. :smile:

Hi Kevin!

Thanks for the kind words!

I didn’t really have much of a conversation with the SA I met when I returned and wasn’t offered her name or card.

I’m not expecting champagne or a red carpet when I shop, but I do expect a little kindness and understanding from the associates. Hopefully the next experience will be better!

I think I’ll be more firm when I need to say no in the future. :smile:

I would imagine you will get a feedback form emailed to you soon. Also perhaps send an email to LV customer services with what happened but also with positive words for the SA who sold you your alma. If the SA's don't get feedback they won't learn. I would appreciate the honesty of how a bag looks on me, but what happened to you should of been told to you with a little more tact.

I think there's a fine line between really pushy, and really helpful, and in retail its probably hard to tell what different people want in terms of service. She may have thought commenting on your chest was both a compliment and an honest opinion on how the bag sits on you. Snatching the bag from you might have been her way of promptly agreeing with you that a scratched bag simply won't do, and seeing if the bag could be sold to you might have been a good idea if the sa thought the other customer no longer wanted it but you did. I think it helps sales people when you lay out exactly what you want, next time you go maybe start by saying you're just there to try on bags so you can decide for another time when you come back (you can always change your mind and buy on the spot if you want to), and when you've been presented with the bags try them on and direct your talk and gaze mainly/only to the person you've gone with, so that the sa gets the idea that you're not looking for their input so much.

Hello!

I just purchased my first luxury handbag for my 21st birthday and unfortunately had a pretty poor experience with my sales associate at Louis Vuitton. I just wanted to share my experience and get some advice or thoughts for when I decide to shop again in the future.

On my birthday I planned to go to Louis Vuitton, Gucci and YSL to see the bags I had on my list, go to lunch to discuss them with my fiancé, and then once I was sure return to one of the stores to purchase.

The first store I went to was Louis Vuitton. As soon as I arrived I was greeted by a sales associate that asked me what I was looking for. I told her I was interested in the Alma bb and she showed me the bag. I put it on crossbody and she made a comment about how it looked short on me because of my large breasts. This made me feel really self conscious and uncomfortable. While examining the bag, I noticed a deep scuff on the side of the bag and pointed it out to her. She gasped and snatched the bag out of my hands and told me she wouldn’t sell it to me. I understand not wanting to sell a damaged bag, but didn’t appreciate her grabbing it from me.

She told me she would call a customer who had the only other bag in the store on reserve and ask her if she could sell it to me. I felt uncomfortable about this and requested that she not do that but she told me it was no trouble. I waited with my fiancé for several minutes and felt very strrsssed our. She was extremely pushy and wanting to sell me a bag desperately. Each time I tried to tell her I wanted to think about it she would talk over me and insist.

Eventually, my fiancé stepped in and told her that this was our first stop of the day and we wanted to be sure that we wanted the bag before taking someone else’s reserved piece.

She got really pouty and aggressive after he said this and quickly took my information on an iPad. She printed out a reserve form for me tossed it on the counter. She told me that if someone else came in before I came back asking for the back that she’d Sell it because I didn’t give her the money for it. It was very awkward and I felt mortified by the experience.

After shopping around, I realized that the Alma was the bag I wanted and was able to purchase it without running into her again, thankfully.

How should I handle pushy SA’s in the future? I found this experience to be really stressful and uncomfortable which was so disappointing for me.
I had a similar experience once at a Sydney Chanel store by the name of Jen or Gen where I was looking at a Chanel Wallet on Chain and the Sales Assistant snatched it out of my hand and said ‘don’t touch’. It was on display to look at and I was just looking at the price. It was the most disgusting behaviour. I reported it straight away because not only is it bad customer service it’s just plain rude. Most good SAs would have said ‘let me help you with that’. So I know exactly how you feel about the snatching.

Regarding calling the other client to ask if they still want the bag on hold, I think it’s good service as she’s making sure you don’t miss the opportunity to buy a bag you like.

Don’t ever feel pressured by an SA to buy something at the end of the day it’s your bag and your money. She’s not going to pay your bills or carry your bag so if you’re feeling stressed in the situation just try and leave asap. Also do a lot of research on the bags before you go into the store to make sure it fits your lifestyle. :smile:

Hello!

I'm sorry you had such a bad first experience and hope you'll enjoy your bag.

I think the SA saying that the bag didn’t look great on you while wearing cross-body is a positive thing. It’s good and rare to get honest feedback. Most SAs will tell you everything looks fantastic on you just to make the sale.
You are right, but there is the manner. The SA could have said the bag was too short without talking about OP's breasts.

You are right, but there is the manner. The SA could have said the bag was too short without talking about OP's breasts.
Obviously I wasn’t there so I don’t know what language the SA used (all we have here is OP’s perspective). And you are right: manner would be key. But I don’t find mentioning her big breasts to be a particularly offensive or inappropriate comment. I mean... it’s a fact! If you have big boobs, the crossbody strap is gonna be short. #life.

Maybe that is the poster's word? She might have said chest or something else. We don't really know. I read the story and do not see anything bad or pushy. Perhaps the poster was upset with the chest/crossbody comment and got sensitive afterwards. But she got her Alma, so that's positive!

Obviously I wasn’t there so I don’t know what language the SA used (all we have here is OP’s perspective). And you are right: manner would be key. But I don’t find mentioning her big breasts to be a particularly offensive or inappropriate comment. I mean... it’s a fact! If you have big boobs, the crossbody strap is gonna be short. #life.
You are not a woman, so I understand that you don't find it offensive or inappropriate that an SA makes comments about your body, especially your breasts. I find it extremely inappropriate and perhaps many women think the same and wouldn't accept to receive comments from a perfect stranger about their body.

Maybe that is the poster's word? She might have said chest or something else. We don't really know. I read the story and do not see anything bad or pushy. Perhaps the poster was upset with the chest/crossbody comment and got sensitive afterwards. But she got her Alma, so that's positive!
I don't understand your comment : the word used by the SA is not the problem. The problem is that the SA commented about a customer's body. Who does that ?

I don't understand your comment : the word used by the SA is not the problem. The problem is that the SA commented about a customer's body. Who does that ?
A handbag is a fashion item. A fashion advisor in store generally comments on the fit of a dress or coat, so someone in a handbag department should be just fine commenting on how a bag looks. I've had at least one SA tell me how I look (strap seems too short). It was just how it was phrased that upset the poster, and like I already said, we have no idea how she said it or what she really said. The poster is the only source.

Reactions: WF222 and fabuleux
A handbag is a fashion item. A fashion advisor in store generally comments on the fit of a dress or coat, so someone in a handbag department should be just fine commenting on how a bag looks. I've had at least one SA tell me how I look (strap seems too short). It was just how it was phrased that upset the poster.
That's what I wrote in a different post you surely didn't read : the SA could have said the bag was too short without adding another comment.