Bad Bloomingdales.com experience

SuLi

O.G.
Nov 1, 2005
Hi everyone-- last week, I decided to jump on the "the more you buy, the more you save" deal at Bloomingdale's. I haven't purchased anything from Bloomingdale's in a REALLY long time, especially from the website. The last time I ordered something (last April), I ordered a Rebecca Minkoff Morning After handbag which they sent in a glorified garbage bag that was torn and re-taped by (I assume) UPS. While I applaud them for going green with their packaging, it made no sense to send a rather large handbag in a plastic bag. Here's my original thread with pictures of the poor packaging: http://forum.purseblog.com/rebecca-...-disappointed-with-bloomies-order-446478.html

Cut to Monday night when I received my order -- two shirts, one from Rebecca Taylor and the other from Joie. I was really excited to get them since the weather has been really lovely here. My excitement turned into disappointment and annoyance when I opened the plastic bag it came in-- instead of two shirts, I received two pairs of jeans!!!

I immediately called the CS number. It took me a while to go through the prompts before reaching someone. I explained the situation and the CS rep apologized, letting me know that fortunately, the shirts were still in stock. I explained my disappointment in hopes that they would rush my shirts to me -- all the CS rep would say was that the warehouse would look into it and it would take a few days.

Cut to this morning when I checked my e-mail. The email only confirmed one of the shirts and it is backordered until APRIL! There was no information on the other shirt, so I went to the website to check on both shirts -- my size is out of stock in both shirts!

I am extremely disappointed with the lack of attention and care by Bloomies. You would think that in a recession, they would work better to serve their customers. I am not hopeful that I will receive both shirts unless the person who they sent my shirts to returned them and they were somehow able to connect the dots.

I will be calling them again this morning to inquire about the status, and will try to remain calm. I will probably never order from Bloomies or shop there again (the two stores in my area are really subpar).

Thanks for letting me vent!

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of Bloomingdale's either. I was sent something via regular shipping that I needed immediately, even though I specified overnight. By the time I got it, I didn't need it anymore. And it took nearly 10 weeks to get a refund. Now I don't order anything expensive, so I'll keep it even if I don't like it. But that doesn't take into account your situation. That sucks! :tdown:

I'm so sorry this happened to you...it is really unbelievable that companies think they can get away with substandard customer service nowadays. Everyone needs to take a cue from Zappos. Thanks for sharing your story. I love the Bloomies B&M stores, but will definitely stay away from ordering online.

I hate buying Bloomies online... their shipping is high unless you drop a lot of money... I'd rather go somewhere that will pricematch and ship for free.

I once purchased a L.a.m.b bag from bloomies online for over $400, they shipped it in a plastic bag and then when I opened it, the bag was obviously heavily used, had a rip in it and a broken strap. I took it to bloomingdale store the next morning to return. At first they didn't want to accept it. But I let them know that there is no way I could have put that much wear on a bag and broken a strap overnight. Got my money back and will never order online with them again. I like the actual store though...

Oooh, what a terrible experience. That's frustrating, it's not like you're trying to take away business from them - they are doing a pretty good job of that themselves. :s

Thanks everyone for the moral support! Here's an update -- I called Bloomie's yesterday and spoke with another CS rep to ask about the status of my order and for a clarification of the e-mail I received. The CS rep told me that the person I spoke with on Monday actually credited my CC because the Joie shirt is completely sold out and the Rebecca Taylor shirt is on backorder. She said that they cannot guarantee the Rebecca Taylor shirt either. The CS rep apologized and told me that she was going to apply an additional 20% discount on the Rebecca Taylor shirt and upgrade my shipping to "premium" if they receive more stock. While I appreciate the gesture, I am not holding my breath.

I once purchased a L.a.m.b bag from bloomies online for over $400, they shipped it in a plastic bag and then when I opened it, the bag was obviously heavily used, had a rip in it and a broken strap. I took it to bloomingdale store the next morning to return. At first they didn't want to accept it. But I let them know that there is no way I could have put that much wear on a bag and broken a strap overnight. Got my money back and will never order online with them again. I like the actual store though...

The RM bag I referenced in my original post had the same thing -- I returned it because I found a few pennies in the pocket! Clearly, the bag was used. So irritating -- I don't understand why they are so careless!

I've had bad luck with Bloomies online. I've had to return stuff, because it was the wrong size. It would take forever to get a refund. The last order I made, they sent me a Marc Jacobs bag that had a major defect in the strap (it was nearly falling apart). I sent it back, noting that it was defective, and they put it back up on their website. It took forever to get my money back to boot.

Here's another update --

I finally received the Rebecca Taylor top yesterday. However, there was another package for me from Bloomies which I was not expecting at all. Turns out, they sent me a duplicate of the Rebecca Taylor top and the Joie shirt that I originally ordered (but not in the color that I ordered it in). Additionally, there was no invoice in the box. I honestly have no clue what is going on over there!

Now that I've read all these horror stories about bloomies, I'm really worried about my order :hrmm: I'm hoping that my MbMJ will arrive safe and sound to my friend's place, since I'm in Canada. Cause if there was anything wrong with it, it'll be a huge hassle to have it returned. :sad:

Now that I've read all these horror stories about bloomies, I'm really worried about my order :hrmm: I'm hoping that my MbMJ will arrive safe and sound to my friend's place, since I'm in Canada. Cause if there was anything wrong with it, it'll be a huge hassle to have it returned. :sad:

Ditto. I am waiting on my MJ Hillier. Crossing my fingers that they don't sent a nice leather bag in a plastic shipping bag.

i ordered a black MJ bag and received purple! i'm really surprised because when i placed my order, purple wasn't even available online and neither was the newer style (which i received even though i ordered the older one)!