Backpacks are Back - Thoughts?

Louis Vuitton, Isaac Mizrahi, Givenchy and other designers all showed backpacks on their runways this year. The look has spilled into all prices and more affordable designers have jumped on the bandwagon; these bags are just now coming into stores. Rebecca Minkoff, Kooba, Foley and Corinna, MZ Wallace all had them in their holiday/resort & spring 2011 collections, just to name a few. Have you seen one you love yet?

I know it may be rather masculine, but I like the Graphite Damier "MIchael" backpack from Louis Vuitton. Sleek, no ties, buckles etc. I always like to have a backpack on hand for some travel situations, so I bought one.

I've seen them but I do think they're limited in terms of usefulness. Many women can't show up to work carrying a backpack and be taken seriously. On the other hand, a stay at home mom with several kids under the age of 10 might find a backpack far more practical than the traditional diaper bag ...

I've seen them but I do think they're limited in terms of usefulness. Many women can't show up to work carrying a backpack and be taken seriously. On the other hand, a stay at home mom with several kids under the age of 10 might find a backpack far more practical than the traditional diaper bag ...

There's a great idea, a diaper bag backpack!

Last edited:
I agree with KittyKat - I have never preferred backpack handbags. I did have a backpack diaper bag when my twins were babies and that was great, however, I would not want a backpack handbag.

One reason I don't use a backpack is I can't see it! Not only can I not enjoy how pretty it is, it feels just too "out there" for someone to try and rip me off. Of course I have one of my beloved Libaire backpacks, but I've only worn it a couple of times. But, will I ever part with it? Unlikely.

I loved the backpack when I had to carry heavy books for school, now I have 1 class at a time, and the backpack just reminds me that I am still in school... I am using a zip top tote.

I have seem professional men and women with backpacks, and it doesn't bother me, it's a functionality thing and health I suppose (better for your back)... but I don't think I'd carry it myself, not because of fashion, but other preferences

One reason I don't use a backpack is I can't see it! Not only can I not enjoy how pretty it is, it feels just too "out there" for someone to try and rip me off. Of course I have one of my beloved Libaire backpacks, but I've only worn it a couple of times. But, will I ever part with it? Unlikely.

Real good point, I wondered about that too.I suppose the majority will wear them off of one shoulder anyhow.

I get nervous about backpacks especially when they have zips, because I can't see them and I may not be able to feel it if someone is discretely trying to undo my bag in a crowded bus, for example.

I detest backpacks. They remind me of school and anything that reminds me of school is a no-go as far as I'm concerned! :P I don't see them as attractive or fashionable and, though I normally would never say never when it comes to bags, I think I can safely say that I will never buy one.