Backpack: Leather vs Nylon?

1. I need a backpack for school. I ordered the Tumi Voyager Calais Nylon backpack but found out that there is a leather option.

Is leather a better material for an everyday backpack then nylon? Durability-wise?

Thanks.

2. I'll use it to carry laptop, notebook, personal stuff.

3. maybe nylon is better. Backpacks we stuff with books, laptop etc. Nylon you will be less 'precious' with than leather. Also backpacks get dirty on the floor, in the lecture hall, around food/drinks/people, walking around campus, weather etc. Nylon will be easier to clean, you can just wipe and go. You'll have more peace of mind with the comings & goings of student life with nylon...you know how it is

4. Tumi nylon is pretty indestructible, so you should be fine! I would think leather would be a lot heavier so for carrying a laptop and books, I’d stick with the lighter option.

5. Depends what education level for studies & subjects, imo.

I'd never give a high school kid leather backpack. As mentioned by others, too heavy. Plus, it'll be tossed onto ground & used in rain.

For university studies, I used cheap backpack. Then tossed & bought new every year.
    Was in science labs. So bag stank & was stained with weird stuff.
    Grad school, same. But could not afford to replace yearly.;) So very grubby fabric bag.

taho, Mariapia, Antigone and 2 others like this.
  6. I have a Tumi Voyager Calais backpack in black with gold hardware and I absolutely love, Love, Love it! I carry it everyday for work and store my backpack, ipad, iphones, folders and personal items in it. On any given day I am walking around NYC and in and out of every hospital for work. I put it on the floor and i can wipe it off and it still looks brand new. It is so comfortable and durable. There are tons of pockets and it looks really nice. My leather bags are more delicate and I would worry about making them dirty and scratching the leather. You also can’t really clean leather. I don’t usually carry a purse with it at the same time but if I need to, there is plenty of space for my LV Favorite or my MZW Paige. It is stylish on me with a dress and heels!

bellebellebelle19 and Antigone like this.
  7. Masters, and it will contain mostly just laptop, paper, pens, food/drink.

taho and remainsilly like this.
  8. Congrats!
    If not doing field work(as in research outdoors & travel), any comfortable pack should do.
    Even leather, if want. You've earned free choice!:smartass: Though still feel would be harder to carry.

Best luck!

Antigone likes this.
  9. How about for work -- is the nylon going to be ok in a professional environment?

10. I'd go for Nylon. If you're loading it, leather will just add to the weight. MZ Wallace has some nice backpacks that are laptop friendly.

Antigone and daisychainz like this.
  11. When I was a grad student I wouldn’t dream of adding extra weight to a daily bag! I’d have to carry 5-6 books all at once and always had nylon. I got a cheapo one from tk Maxx and it saw me through. Save the fancy leather bag buying after grad school when you won’t be hauling as much stuff and spilling crappy coffee all over it.

babesnstuds, Antigone and taho like this.
  12. I use nylon backpack for work because leather gets too heavy with all of my work items inside. I think black will be more professional then coming in with a colored or printed backpack in nylon.

Antigone and taho like this.
  13. Nylon is awesome because you can toss your water bottles in there and not worry about spills/stains on the fabric. Also it’s great for rainy days, too.

Antigone, daisychainz and taho like this.
  14. I haven’t read any reply but to give my two cents on the thread topic - Leather backpacks are heavy and make my back sweat. So I vote nylon. Even for work.

Antigone and taho like this.