Backpack: Leather vs Nylon?

Antigone

O.G.
Sep 12, 2006
I need a backpack for school. I ordered the Tumi Voyager Calais Nylon backpack but found out that there is a leather option.

Is leather a better material for an everyday backpack then nylon? Durability-wise?

Thanks.

maybe nylon is better. Backpacks we stuff with books, laptop etc. Nylon you will be less 'precious' with than leather. Also backpacks get dirty on the floor, in the lecture hall, around food/drinks/people, walking around campus, weather etc. Nylon will be easier to clean, you can just wipe and go. You'll have more peace of mind with the comings & goings of student life with nylon...you know how it is

Depends what education level for studies & subjects, imo.

I'd never give a high school kid leather backpack. As mentioned by others, too heavy. Plus, it'll be tossed onto ground & used in rain.

For university studies, I used cheap backpack. Then tossed & bought new every year.
Was in science labs. So bag stank & was stained with weird stuff.
Grad school, same. But could not afford to replace yearly.;) So very grubby fabric bag.

I have a Tumi Voyager Calais backpack in black with gold hardware and I absolutely love, Love, Love it! I carry it everyday for work and store my backpack, ipad, iphones, folders and personal items in it. On any given day I am walking around NYC and in and out of every hospital for work. I put it on the floor and i can wipe it off and it still looks brand new. It is so comfortable and durable. There are tons of pockets and it looks really nice. My leather bags are more delicate and I would worry about making them dirty and scratching the leather. You also can’t really clean leather. I don’t usually carry a purse with it at the same time but if I need to, there is plenty of space for my LV Favorite or my MZW Paige. It is stylish on me with a dress and heels!

When I was a grad student I wouldn’t dream of adding extra weight to a daily bag! I’d have to carry 5-6 books all at once and always had nylon. I got a cheapo one from tk Maxx and it saw me through. Save the fancy leather bag buying after grad school when you won’t be hauling as much stuff and spilling crappy coffee all over it.