Background Checks !!

I had to fill out about 50 pages of documents for my work. Sometimes, I do have to say that these background checks get a little ridiculous. Mine went back 15 years, but to also include every place I had lived in my life, but also my parents, family members. And most of that information wasn't pertinent or relevant. I did feel invaded by that, not to mention that I didn't keep a lot of this information and drudging it back up was simply painful.

I would definitely tailor the check based on the need/worth and the age of the applicant instead of having a blanket statement. I don't think it's an invasion of privacy, but sometimes a healthy dose of reality check to coincide with the background check would be nice.

If it's for someone who will work with your children or your home, I would absolutely insist on a background check.

^^^I had a very similar experience with my company. They actually went back and verified my elementary school information! Not only that, I had to "pass" a medical history as well. It was very invasive, but I understand that it was somewhat necessary for the position and the responsiblity it entails.

If I were hiring someone to care for my family, I would absolutely do a background check of some form or another. I know there are many companies out there for you to utilize.