BACK TO BASICS H Natural,neutral and SADDLE LEATHERS!!!

GGA -- To die for gorgeous!

Docride -- You rock!

I posted this query before, but didn't get any responses... anyone know what these leathers are? These bags are so gorgeous!

Cheers!!

Attachments

• vintage hermes query.jpg
    vintage hermes query.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 674
Reactions: NOIRetMoi
GGA -- To die for gorgeous!

Docride -- You rock!

I posted this query before, but didn't get any responses... anyone know what these leathers are? These bags are so gorgeous!

Cheers!!
Hey there! The bag in B looks like it might be VN...the bag in A has me a bit stumped it's so hard to see the textures due to the lighting... Have a great day!:smile:

Good lord.......DQ ...what a fantastic piece.

I'm curious how your oil/conditioning technique differs from docrides...would you mind sharing your secrets? (specifically, which Hermes products did you use and how did you apply them)

Thanks so much.

thanks, ltl! this bag it thick cowhide and very different for VN -- i saddle soaped it to open the pores and then oiled in inside and out just like you would with a new saddle. i used the hermes leather products from their saddlery department.

the biggest difference is that when used on VN the oil and the hermes saddle baum and lait nettoyant don't make the leather any darker -- which has always disappointed me. it does condition them against the weather, though. i've always wished that they would darken it the way they darkened the saddle bag - so next time i have VN i'll use docride's first product, though i'll probably stick with oil for the second step. just because it's my habit and i have it here anyway.

Hey there! The bag in B looks like it might be VN...the bag in A has me a bit stumped it's so hard to see the textures due to the lighting... Have a great day!:smile:

Thanks docride! There's also that mysterious dark brown Birkin near the top of the photo... Love these leathers!!!

I saw a lovely barenia belt at Madison Ave. It's the belt that has the 3 hooks. It looked like it's been through a lot though -- maybe lots of rubbing by customers? :graucho:

That's what a Vache natural looks like with a full patina :o) The bag is a 23 year old Vache Natural HAC 32cm.:tup:
oh Dodrice! 23 years old!! I love soft leathers as clemence or swift... but seeing your bags I have to say they are :okay: wow!!
I have been reading your thread about care of the leathers, and I can see from your bags that all those cares really work!!! Your bags are beautifull!

Here's my 32 HAC VN GH - 1984:

attachment.php

:heart:

Attachments

• -1.jpg
    -1.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 1,063
  • -2.jpg
    -2.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 538
  • -3.jpg
    -3.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 539
  • -4.jpg
    -4.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 550
  • tea.jpg
    tea.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 662
...and here is my 1984 VN 32 HAC GH as compared to a VN 1998 PH 35 Birkin:

(very different aging on the leather!)

attachment.php

Attachments

• vns5.jpg
    vns5.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 535
  • vns8.jpg
    vns8.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 1,060
  • vns2.jpg
    vns2.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 545
  • vns1.jpg
    vns1.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 536
  • vn4.jpg
    vn4.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 566
Reactions: sparks1007
...and here is my 1984 VN 32 HAC GH as compared to a VN 1998 PH 35 Birkin:

(very different aging on the leather!)

attachment.php
hi piaffe! were you the first owner to know: did these 2 VNs start out the same color? i'm thinking the PH will never develop into the same color as the GH and just wondering if other than age, there was a different process/product you used on each or if they started out quite different in shade. they're both just lovely :yes:

bump. i am new to hermes and just made my first purchase in the shape of a cashmere shawl (i just love it). it is a slippery slope as you all know... now i want a birkin :P

i am vintage-antique-ethnic-sorta gal. i don't like tip-toe-ing around my bags, and just loooove the look and feel of leathers with good shinny dark patina. so when i came across this thread it feels like home immediately, as foreign as i am with hermes and birkins in general :balloon:

may i ask, for someone like me, would you recommend VN or barenia, HAC or birkin? (or should this question be a new thread?)

Before pic next to after pic. Hope they load...

Was lurking here - stunning GGA

Bagpunk - any of the above - also love porc sellier

here's a pic of my 1950's vintage porc sellier (also treated with Docrides B&O)

and my favorite weathered shoulder detail (weathering done before I got the bag)

DSC00899.jpg

DSC00903.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: wilmi
Thank you Boo. Maddox posted it and I got it from L-S for 1600 usd this Feb - patina already in place. I love it. And it is more finely made than my BBK. hugs!