Back from NYC - a trip that seriously changed my whishlist

Jul 16, 2006
I'd just like to share my most recent bag experience with all you lovely tpf-ers.
I returned from New York yesterday after a 5 day holiday. Of course I went bag shopping, with a budget of 1000 euros (about 1500 dollars) due to my CC (I'm a student and thus not allowed a higher credit on CC's). I'd worked hard this summer and thus had quite a substantial amount of money, but in NYC it is surprisingly impossible to pay by bank pass in designer boutiques.
I had a few (well, many) bags on my whish list to check out.
Went to Woodbury Commons to see the baby paddingtons I'd loved so much, but they were overpriced at $890 + tax (this is an outlet right?) and I was actually a bit dissapointed by them - too small. They had red and black. Then I picked up a regular/medium orange paddy, but it was so heavy I decided to just leave it. At the Prada/Miu Miu outlet I spotted a lovely washed bufallo doctor bag, but that one was just tiny and too expensive for an outlet ($1100 +tax) - for that price I could get a larger one here in the Netherlands. There was one of my HG bags, the suede tobacco purse with grommets from F/W 2005, but it almost fell apart when I picked it up.
Then I went to Dior, where I disliked the cannage clutch - took that one off of my whish list too. I did find a fantastic purple leather mini version of Celine's boogie as a keychain. They also had a regular sized boogie, which I loved and put on my wishlist immidiately. Unfortunately it was white, and as I don't do white bags I left it there. After trying on the entire Ralph Lauren factory outlet just to find none of his cable knit sweaters fit right I was really dissapointed and decided to get back to the city. My dad bought just about the entire Armani and Hugo Boss stores and my sister raided Guess and Juicy, but mom and I had found hardly anything. I left Woodbury with a fantastic pair of Tom Ford sunnies I'd been lusting over for a while, at the discount price of $120! (390 euros in Amsterdam!), which put a small smile on my face.
Back in Manhatten I went to just about every department store and designer boutique I could find. And there it was, sitting on the counter at Bergdorf - the black Veneta. It was love at first sight and I decided to get that one. But of course it was over my CC budget, so I couldn't get it. Went over to BV to check if I could pay with my regular bank pass/PIN, but that wasn't possible and they didn't accept cash over $1000. Crap. The search continued at Mulberry, where I took the antony off of my whishlist as soon as I'd tried it on :tdown:. Celine was lovely, but no boogies in the right colour for me. And of course I was too ckicken to go into Hermes. The Veneta was growing om me more and more, but it just wasn't happening, so I proceeded to a few more boutiques. I really wanted the Veneta and decided I'd better stop searching and get it in Europe whenever I have the chance.
It was really frustrating not finding anything, considering there are about a million times more designer bags in NYC than in Amsterdam. But I did find that many bags I'd loved online were really not so nice IRL, which made my whish list go from this:

whish list:
Mulberry oak Ledbury - got it 17/08/2008
Mulberry black Antony
Bottega Veneta noce Veneta
Bottega Veneta Knot clutch
Bottega Veneta Ebano or Green Cabat
Chanel Classic 2.55 red caviar flap with gold h/w
Chloe Brown Paddington
Dior Black Cannage clutch
Hermes Black or Graphite Clemence or Togo HAC...
Gold SO Kelly
Massai PM Clemence Vert Fonce or Gris
Picotin MM Orange Togo or Clemence
All leather Garden Party in a poppy colour
any Prada with grommets

to something like this:
whish list:
Bottega Veneta black small or medium Veneta
Chanel medium/large red caviar Flap with gold hardware
Celine Boogie - still have to decide the colour
Hermes - have to check IRL which one
Prada washed buffalo satchel in choc or black

I did get a Prada cosmetics bag at the Soho store (what an amazing store! and a great SA too :tup:) and an MbyMJ black convertible clutch/shoulder bag as my throw around bag. My sister and I bought an MbyMJ Dr. Q Groovee bag in taupe for my mother, with a matching wallet, which made her smile for the rest of our holiday as it was her first designer bag. All in all, NYC was a great place. It took away some of my bag dreams, but certainly added some too :yes: And now I'm off to bed, sleeping off my jetlag before I start my quest for the Veneta :drool:

Good thing you were able to see some of your wish list bags b4 you ordered one or two from the internet and been disappointed.

I loe to hear all about shopping so thanks for sharing!

I sympathize. It's disappointing when you look forward to a shopping expedition and then don't find anything. But at least you did get a few things you like. Did you say they wouldn't take cash over $1,000? I never heard of a limit on cash.

I sympathize. It's disappointing when you look forward to a shopping expedition and then don't find anything. But at least you did get a few things you like. Did you say they wouldn't take cash over $1,000? I never heard of a limit on cash.

I know! Can you believe? But it is definitely becoming more prevalent in our plastic society. I've run into that a few times. There are forms they have to fill out for the IRS that are a pain in the butt regarding "suspicious transactions." Ridiculous!

Thing is, there's usually around a $2k limit on debit cards - depending on your bank, of course.

But last time I bought a Chanel from their store in Houston Galleria (which was stolen after I carried it once *sick*) they had no problem with cash.

I haven't heard of a cash limit per se, but maybe stores are getting burned with counterfeit money a lot. Though the way our currency is changing--it all looks pretty fake to me (every time I see that giant fuschia "5" on the five dollar bill, I wonder how that got approved).

But it sounds like you had a great trip, so much shopping fun.

Graciella - So glad you had a great time in New York! I'm sorry you weren't able to buy your black BV.

I saw your revised wishlist and noticed you wanted a small or medium veneta. Do you remember which size you were looking at boutique? The veneta comes in 4 sizes: mini, medium, large and maxi. They don't actually have a "small" size.

The medium and large are the most popular sizes. Medium is 17" x 16" and retails for $1490 (USD) and the large is 20" x 19" and sells for $1850 (USD).

Good luck on your quest for a BV!

Graciella - So glad you had a great time in New York! I'm sorry you weren't able to buy your black BV.

I saw your revised wishlist and noticed you wanted a small or medium veneta. Do you remember which size you were looking at boutique? The veneta comes in 4 sizes: mini, medium, large and maxi. They don't actually have a "small" size.

The medium and large are the most popular sizes. Medium is 17" x 16" and retails for $1490 (USD) and the large is 20" x 19" and sells for $1850 (USD).

Good luck on your quest for a BV!

Measurements:

medium 16" x 10"
large 20" x 12"

Sorry for the confusion! :shame:

Measurements:

medium 16" x 10"
large 20" x 12"

Sorry for the confusion! :shame:

Yeah I was a bit confused when I saw the Veneta's - I always feel that most bags are small when I first see them, but they always turn out a lot bigger when I try them on and look in the mirror. I think it's the medium veneta I'm after, which was indeed some 1400+ dollars. I really need to think this over, because my dad will be buying the bag for me in Zurich next October - BV isn't sold here in the Netherlands. Perhaps I'd better just hop on a train to Paris or somewhere else with a BV boutique to check the size (medium or large). If there's anything I've learned from the past week in NYC, it's that buying a bag unseen really is a bad idea!

Oh and the whole paying in cash thing - the SA at BV said it is to prevent whitewashing/money laundring. Apparently, thugs spend their criminal money on designer goods and then return them to the store and voila, their money is 'clean' :tdown:.

Sorry you didn't get the bag(s) of your dream but I think even with the current exchange rate the Venetas are still a bit cheaper in Europe.
You may want to check out a thread on that in the BV sub discussing price differences. Apparently there are some even within Europe.

Saw the Celine Boogie on your 'new' wishlist.
I have two (cognac and dark brown) and love them both so much!!!

Yeah I was a bit confused when I saw the Veneta's - I always feel that most bags are small when I first see them, but they always turn out a lot bigger when I try them on and look in the mirror. I think it's the medium veneta I'm after, which was indeed some 1400+ dollars. I really need to think this over, because my dad will be buying the bag for me in Zurich next October - BV isn't sold here in the Netherlands. Perhaps I'd better just hop on a train to Paris or somewhere else with a BV boutique to check the size (medium or large). If there's anything I've learned from the past week in NYC, it's that buying a bag unseen really is a bad idea!

Oh and the whole paying in cash thing - the SA at BV said it is to prevent whitewashing/money laundring. Apparently, thugs spend their criminal money on designer goods and then return them to the store and voila, their money is 'clean' :tdown:.

Graciella - Yes, the BV sizing is a bit tricky - are they trying to keep everyone on their toes? Regarding the medium veneta, did you put your stuff in the bag at the BV boutique? Also did you do the same with the large? The shape of the veneta changes quite a bit with ones stuff inside. I think the veneta looks smaller when "loaded" because the bag "stretches" out and doesn't look as wide. (I hope I'm making sense).

Have you checked out the BV reference thread? It shows some very useful modeling comparisons between the medium and large veneta.

If there's anything I've learned from the past week in NYC, it's that buying a bag unseen really is a bad idea!

I agree. There are so many gorgeous bags around but I sometimes have an unpleasant surprise when I see them IRL. They're too big or heavy, etc.

I'm so sorry you couldn't use cash to buy your first BV! I guess we're the ones "paying" for the criminals deeds. :tdown:

Good luck!

^I haven't actually put my stuff inside the bag - I always feel uncomfortable even touching a bag when I know I can't buy it at that moment. I did put the medium one on my shoulder and it felt like velvet! I'll try and get to a BV boutique in Europe and buy the bag myself - I'm sure my dad would buy exactly what I'd ask him to in Zurich next time he goes there on business (I even get him to take pics of the designer boutiques, LOL), but I think it's a good idea to go to the store myself and try both the large and medium size. I must admit I quite like the purple and green colour scemes too, so perhaps I"ll change my mind once again when the time of choosing comes (I was initially after a noce veneta - go figure!) And hey, Paris is only a 4 hour train ride from Amsterdam...;)

^I haven't actually put my stuff inside the bag - I always feel uncomfortable even touching a bag when I know I can't buy it at that moment. I did put the medium one on my shoulder and it felt like velvet! I'll try and get to a BV boutique in Europe and buy the bag myself - I'm sure my dad would buy exactly what I'd ask him to in Zurich next time he goes there on business (I even get him to take pics of the designer boutiques, LOL), but I think it's a good idea to go to the store myself and try both the large and medium size. I must admit I quite like the purple and green colour scemes too, so perhaps I"ll change my mind once again when the time of choosing comes (I was initially after a noce veneta - go figure!) And hey, Paris is only a 4 hour train ride from Amsterdam...;)

I'll try and get to a BV boutique in Europe and buy the bag myself.

Yes, I think that's the best idea. Spend some time playing with any styles you like, although I understand your hesitation on browsing when you're not buy at the moment. However, you will snag a BV soon and it's very difficult to buy a bag without "testing" it first - checking its weight, comfort, functionality, etc. :smile: I find the BV SA's are the nicest in the luxury arena. They enjoy chatting about the purses and seem eager to let customers try on their bags.

The BV's do feel buttery soft and the F/W colors are TDF! I don't mean to confuse you but did you check out the Ebano (dark brown) - the classic BV color!

Last edited: