Bachelorette * Rachel Lindsay *

This should be exciting!

Glamour: You said some amazing sound bites throughout the season. Two of my favorites were: (1) You don’t have to have black skin in our family, but you need thick skin. And (2) I love sports, but I don’t play games. Is there one piece of advice that you really live by?

RL: If you said to Nick, "What’s one thing Rachel says all the time?" it was "You know, I just keep it real." and "I just keep it 100." I said it all the time, but I mean it. I don’t know how to be anything else. I don’t get caught up in everything that’s around me. I’m just very direct, and I think that’s another thing with the intimidation thing. Some people can’t handle that I’m direct. I’m real and honest, and I take things day by day. That’s just the way to survive.

Glamour: Will we see your dad on The Bachelorette? We are dying to meet Mr. Lindsay.

RL: [Laughs.] Did you know Nick met my dad? He met my dad off-camera.

Glamour: Really?!

RL: Yeah, which is what I loved because it was a real-life experience. It wasn’t "Hey, we’re doing this for TV"; it was "Hey, I really want to talk to you about a future with your daughter." So, yeah, Nick met my dad off-camera.

Glamour: Did your dad just really not want to be on camera then?

RL: It’s just due to him being a federal judge and having high-profile cases. It’s just not a good look and is really frowned upon, so I’m sure no other judge has been in this experience. For him, he just wasn’t comfortable doing it, and everyone respected that. But he knew it was important for him to meet Nick because of how I was feeling, so he was there. He just wasn’t on camera. He met Nick, and they had their own separate conversation. I didn’t even see it. I don’t even know what they talked about.

Glamour: Will your dad come on The Bachelorette then?

RL: I don’t know. We’ll see. We’ll see what happens.

Glamour: What does he think about his daughter becoming the Bachelorette?

RL: My skepticism doesn’t come from no one. There’s a root to it, and it’s my family. Initially it’s the unknown and this Hollywood world; they were very skeptical of this process and me doing it, but seeing how I was portrayed and seeing Nick and I together, they became believers in it. That was very reassuring for me. Now they are very supportive of it. They want grandkids! [Laughs.]

Glamour: I know everyone is so excited that you’re the first black Bachelorette—and rightfully so—but I’m also excited that you’re the first Bachelorette in some time that’s in her thirties. If I hear one more 23-year-old complain that she’s never going to find a man, I might scream.

RL: [Laughs.] That’s hilarious! Thirty is the new 20, that’s what Jay-Z said!

Glamour: I’m in my thirties, and I’m sick of people saying, "Why are you still single?" Do you ever get that?

RL: A lot of people are like, "How are you single? You seem to check off every box on paper. You’re great!" And what I say is "Men love the idea of me, but when it comes to the reality of me, they can’t handle it." Whether it’s "You work too much," or "You’re too strong-willed, or "You’re so independent you don’t need me," it’s a very frustrating experience. I’m sure you can relate to it. What I love about this is that I feel like I can touch women on so many different levels. Not just being a woman, not just being the first African American Bachelorette, but being a 30-year-old career-driven woman. So many women are going to be like, "I get it! I understand what it is that she’s going through." Yes, on paper it’s great, but for some reason I find a lot of men become intimidated by that. I love that women are going to be able to relate to me in that sense.

http://www.glamour.com/story/the-bachelor-rachel-lindsay-bachelorette-interview

I really liked her on the show and she was definitely too smart for Nick so I'm glad he let her go!
I admire her dad for not going on camera and protecting his credibility and maintaining his professionalism for his career/job. Good for him!

I wonder how it is going because we haven't heard much. I hope the network promotes her, but doesn't ruin her credibility as a professional lawyer.