Baby Talk Magazine . . . is it offensive?

People are making a big deal out of nothing. They must have way too much time on their hands to worrying about a picture of a baby being fed. I don't see anything wrong with the picture. I don't see why people get so bent out of shape at the sight of a boob.

nathansgirl1908 said:
THIS is the kind of hypocrisy that makes me sick about this country.

I don't hear people objecting to Britney Spears's naked behind on the cover of the other magazine, but someone has a problem with a breastfeeding woman on the cover of a BABY magazine? They can't be serious. On the one hand they say Britney's picture is classy and beautiful becaues it shows her carrying new life. Now you have this woman on the cover of the baby magazine FEEDING a baby and that's not also considered classy and beautiful as she is NOURISHING new life? :rolleyes:

TOTALLY AGREE!!! Just take a walk around most local malls or look through fashion magazines and you'll see more nudity.

Just out of curiosity, is more men or women who have found this cover to be offensive? This is the first time I've seen the cover and heard of the controversy, but I'm just wondering who seems to have an issue with it.

I absolutely do not find that cover image to be offensive. I am not a mother, but I will breastfeed my children and I will not be too shy or afraid of people saying something to do it in public.

Many people see breasts as sexual objects, but I don't see them that way. I see them as a way of providing my child with the food, nutrients, and antibodies that he or she will need to grow up to be strong and healthy.

It pisses me off to think that people would be offended. Have you never seen a breast before? Breastfeeding women don't whip them out to show you their nipples. They are taking their duty seriously and are feeding their child the way that they chose to, regardless of how you feel about seeing a breast. I will not feed my baby under a blanket or cover my baby's head with a tshirt just because it makes you uncomfortable. If you feel uncomfortable by the sight of a breast, then either don't look or get over your issues.

Swanky Mama Of Three said:
Lisa Ling was one celebrity that bad mouthed breastfeeding in public, she complained about it on The View. . .
blech!

Wow I'm really surprised about that. Why did she have such a problem with it?

Frankly I think its bad to expect a woman to feed her baby in a restroom. WE don't eat in restrooms.

I breastfed both of my girls so I'm sure you can guess my answer. :smile:

I think it's a "no brainer" that most women will be discreet. Quite honestly, the last thing I was thinking about was showing off or trying to look hot. You've recently given birth, you're barely getting any sleep, you're engorged like mad and you're still trying to lose the disgusting weight you've gained all the while trying to adjust to your little one's schedule.

I'm not a mother but I don't see what the big deal is. I feel bad for the mothers who nurse only to have people stare them down or make comments. That's just so cruel.

I saw the pic, I think it is very ute! I was expecting worse I think! But personally, I don't mind when the ladies are breastfeeding their kids because that is nature, but sometimes, some women just really don't care, and love to show their breasts in front of people! Now with that I have a problem!

amanda said:
i think people need to realize that it's JUST A BOOB! everyone's seen a boob, and half of the population carries them around daily. this social taboo that we have against their natural purpose is beyond ridiculous - we think that it's fine to push them up and halfway out a shirt for the entertainment of men, but try and feed a kid and you get read the riot act. i agree that there needs to be a modicum of discretion used, but how is it going to scar a child to see that? theoretically, they've already seen it - they did it several times a day for many months. there's nothing sexual or vulgar about breastfeeding a baby, and there's certainly nothing sexual or vulgar about that picture.

I agree. :yes:

Most men are attracted to breasts sexually, because they signify that a woman is sexually mature and well nourished enough to carry and breastfeed their baby!

So, to then find the actual act of breastfeeding distasteful, is, surely, illogical?!!

Also, I would far rather my child saw some nudity (in an appropriate way, of course), than grow up to have some sort of potentially embarrassing fetish for clothing (or something even more obscure! :shocked: ), because they were unnaturally sheltered from it.

:yes: absolutely nothing wrong with it.
I used to pump milk before we go out so I could just bottle feed my baby when we're out, but one time the bottled milk wasn't enough and I had to breast feed...
I asked the establishment we were in if they had a mommy room for breast feeding... they told me to go to the bathroom...:sad: I did... and it was stinky... :throwup:
my baby was crying and I was crying...(hormones maybe... and I'm sorry to say that I'm a bit of a push over...):crybaby:
Then an older woman at the bathroom saw us and took us out and was the one who got angry at the place and sat me on one of the chairs and told me to feed my baby. I did.:smile: :shame:
I guess all you ladies comments about this subject are right and people really do need to accept breast feeding in public as natural and nothing to look down upon.

nathansgirl1908 said:
THIS is the kind of hypocrisy that makes me sick about this country.

I don't hear people objecting to Britney Spears's naked behind on the cover of the other magazine, but someone has a problem with a breastfeeding woman on the cover of a BABY magazine? They can't be serious. On the one hand they say Britney's picture is classy and beautiful becaues it shows her carrying new life. Now you have this woman on the cover of the baby magazine FEEDING a baby and that's not also considered classy and beautiful as she is NOURISHING new life? :rolleyes:

I completely agree with you!!! You are so right!:smile:

I never really got any bad comments just rude looks a few times. I remember when my oldest (she's 5 now) was only 3 days old and my in laws took me to dinner. I went to the bathroom to nurse her but it was cramped and I could only feed her while sitting on the toilet. I couldn't get her to latch on at all and I sat there crying right along with her.

Are people grossed out about breastfeeding in public because they don't need to see that while they're eating? (Well, for those of us who know their biology, that's how most babies eat.)