Baby shower: organic and eco-friendly gifts

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. Hi ladies. I'm not a parent so I need some help here. I'm attending a baby shower and the theme is organic and eco-friendly. I have no idea what to get as a gift. The baby is going to be a little girl and my budget is $100-$150. What kind of things would a first time mom appreciate?

2. Huh...

I'd say maybe some cloth diapers or some wooden toys? You can get a lot of stuff for $100, I'm not sure how close you are to the person having the baby? Maybe also a food processor for later (if she doesn't have one already) when she makes baby's food?

3. Babies R Us has blankets and stuff that are organic. check out their store or the website. Does she have a registry?

4. Not sure if burts bees are organic, I don't think so but they are completely natural and the only products I have or will ever use on my children.

5. Depends on if you want one big gift, or a few smaller ones..

One of the most important items to purchase organic is the mattress and crib sheets since the mattress tends to carry a lot of toxins and since the baby will be sleeping on it.

If you went for smaller items, things I would love as a new mother...
    -Organic washable nursing pads (these are a must, and very eco-friendly)
    -Organic Bobby cover
    -Organic Pack n play sheets
    -Organic baby wash and lotion (I love California Baby)
    -Organic swaddle wraps

6. #7 Sep 17, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2010
    Personally I'd just buy a gift that is either on a registry or pick something myself and not worry about "themes." I think it's a bit tacky to make theme requests for gifts. People should just give what they choose. After all, it is a gift. It's not something anyone is entitled to.

And hey, if it happens to be organic, that's a bonus. Maybe an outfit or sheets? I think the food processor is also a good idea and maybe a baby cook book to make food from home if you do need some ideas.

ETA: I do not think eco-friendly or organic is bad at all, I am all for it! Just a peeve when I hear of all these showers popping up making all kinds of special gift requests; it's getting out of control! But if there is to be any theme, this is certainly a good one to be had. ;)

7. I procrastinated so there's not much left on the registry. I love the idea of a food processor and baby cookbook though. Thanks for all the ideas, ladies! Keep them coming. :biggrin:

8. I would suggest Swaddle Designs swaddling blankets - my sister and I (we're both pregnant) both got them and absolutely have fallen in love with them. I can't wait to use them! They are so soft and made in the USA. They have organic receiving blankets in all different colors that are $32.00 each. I got mine from eswaddle.com.

9. i say give her some money in a card and call it a day :smile:

10. I'd get a bunch of stuff from cotton people
    http://www.egycot.com/cotton_people_organic_pinkwhite_set.asp

like this for example. onesies are great as well!
    my DS (4 years) has one of their pyjamas and they are great!