Baby Bags!

addicted said:
I had a baby last year and went through this dilemma. I ended up with maybe 7 different diaper bags. Here's some suggestions:

Petunia Picklebottom

Addicted, what did you think of this bag? My sis is due in May, and *shocker* I want to be the one to get her baby bag!! Is it practical? I saw these online and thought they were so pretty! Which did you like best?

I got a crumpler messenger bag. They're more laptop bags but I wanted to get something my husband could carry around without feeling all girly.

kahk3000 said:
I'd rather not spend over 500. I mean if it was something really special i definitely would. She's going to be a single mom, so i wanted to get her something she wouldn't buy for herself.

I am also a single mom and some things to consider when buying a diaper bag:
#1 - how does the mom get around...car/subway/bus?
#2 - does the diaper bag fit in the mom's stroller basket?
#3 - infants require a lot of "just in case" supplies that are HEAVY...what style is best for heavy bags: backpack / messenger / shoulder?

* I have two diaper bags: old school Coach upright tote bag for when we are driving places and a travel backpack for when we are using public transportation (subway/train/plane).

* The travel backpack is great because it has two compartments, and three exterior pockets, and most importantly, keeps my hands free. It's not "pretty", but I've yet to come across a standard diaper bag that holds as much stuff as my travel backpack. Most standard diaper bags can not accomodate baby AND mom's stuff...a travel backpack can.

* I've found the Coach and Kate Spade diaper bags difficult to fit in the stroller basket. The Coach and Kate Spade diaper bags are horizontal and most stroller baskets are vertical, so you have to zip of the bag and put it in the basket on its side. That means you can never just reach into the bag for something...you have to remove it completely and unzip it. My Coach tote is vertical with an open top, so it sits upright in my son stroller (a Maclaren) and all I had to do was reach into the bag for my stuff.

OK, I guess the whole point of my response is don't just look at bags labelled as "diaper bags"...look for bags that can function as diaper bags.

Redd said:
addicted said:
I had a baby last year and went through this dilemma. I ended up with maybe 7 different diaper bags. Here's some suggestions:

Petunia Picklebottom

Addicted, what did you think of this bag? My sis is due in May, and *shocker* I want to be the one to get her baby bag!! Is it practical? I saw these online and thought they were so pretty! Which did you like best?
Hi there - at one point I had 3 of these bags because I couldn't decide on color. I did have this bag above, but ended up with "Sweetie Roll". I think the one above is called "Blossom Roll".

I used this when I travelled and got many compliments. I like the fact you can use as a backpack or shoulder bag. IMO it's not super roomy inside, but it's got enough room for the essentials.

My friends were completely SOLD on this bag and convinced me to get it because of the fold out changing pad. I have to admit, it was rather convenient at the airport for me.

I've own or have owned many many bags (Petunia Picklebottom, fleurville, coach, One Step Ahead, Kate Spade, Skip Hop). But the one I use the most right now is my skip hop duo because it hangs on the back of my Bugaboo stroller. And my baby is 1 year old and I don't need to carry much anymore.

Also - I had to take into consideration my hubby who carries the bag a lot too. I'm too lazy to prepare multiple bags.

But I agree with filling the bag with stuff is a nice touch. I did this for my sis-in-law. I got diaper wipes case, disposable diaper ducky, diaper rash cream, insulated bottle holder, kleenex, hand sanitizer, pacifier and holder, infant tylenol, orajel, nail clippers...etc. It was fun shopping for her because I knew what a new mother would need.

I do wish I got the Gucci messenger though.

Here's some photos of my Petunia picklebottom:
IMG_3565.JPG

IMG_3566.JPG

IMG_3567.JPG

IMG_3568.JPG

If anyone would like to, you can PM me with more questions!:P

Totally agree with what esiders said...it's going to depend on your sister's lifestyle.

And, I also wanted to reiterate that at the beginning, there's more stuff to carry (diapers, diapers, diapers and a change of clothes), but as kids get older, you need to bring much less with you. So, it may be nice to get her two -- one for the beginning and a smaller one for later. I've had Combi, Kate Spade, Coach, MacLaren, Baby Bjorn, Fleurville, and SkipHop diaper bags. My main issue with them is that they are just so darn heavy. So, even if I'm going out with the kids to run errands for an hour or two, my shoulder is just killing me by the end. But, the SkipHop is the best so far. I :love: the functionality of it. And, I love that I can hook it onto the stroller.

I also love the DiapeeWipee case -- it's a cloth case that holds the wipes and the diapers. So, you can just grab it and put it in whatever bag you want. And, it keeps them clean and together. Because, even in the traditional diaper bags, they come out of their pockets or get goldfish crumbs on them.

Or, you could splurge on that Hammitt you liked -- I've been thinking about that bag since I saw it in InStyle. She could probably still use that years from now.

Keep us posted on what you get! Your sister is lucky to have you!

You all are awesome, i appreciate all of your help and comments. I am still thinking, (i have awhile before i need to purchase) so i'm sitting on the Hammit right now (my sister saw it and really like it, but was unsure of the leather.) So I"ll keep you all posted, but if anyone thinks of anything else be sure to let me know. thanks all!

If I were you I would get one of these diaper bags and fill it with either baby products or pamper products for mum-to-be!

I actually dreamt I had a baby so I could buy one of these :shame:

You can't go wrong with these at all!

jcBLUE.jpg

jcPINK.jpg

jc.jpg