B40 - advice needed

Bishka14

May 31, 2020
I have just received my B40 in togo - the aim was to use it for work, carrying my laptop and extra screen. Most of the time I drive to work and have a short walk after I arrive but occasionally will get the train with a longer walk. Having spoken to a few people I am now in a panic... is it too big, heavy and awkward? Is it really better suited to males rather than females?

If if is not too heavy for you to carry I would keep it. A 40 cm holds a lot and that is why you bought it. I never use liners with Birkins. It seems easy to find everything inside them. Togo will sag some and a liner would make the bag stand taller, if that matters to you. I love my 40 cm Birkins. Just hope I will stop sheltering some day and be able to use them again.

If if is not too heavy for you to carry I would keep it. A 40 cm holds a lot and that is why you bought it. I never use liners with Birkins. It seems easy to find everything inside them. Togo will sag some and a liner would make the bag stand taller, if that matters to you. I love my 40 cm Birkins. Just hope I will stop sheltering some day and be able to use them again.
[/QUOTE

thanks for you helpful response, much appreciated. Can I be cheeky and ask if you are female and if so what height? X

I love big bags and wish they worked on me. But I’m short 5’2, medium build, and have issues with my wrists, ankles etc., so my collection is mainly B30s, an HAC 32 and a toile B35.

Am sure you bought it bc you love it, so you should enjoy it to the fullest. It’s the original Jane Birkin birkin, so can also be a supplementary weekend bag. IMO, go light on the leather goods yu use, light wallet, etc, and aside from the laptop and screen, don’t fill it. Big Bags are coming back into vogue!

Reactions: Bishka14
I have just received my B40 in togo - the aim was to use it for work, carrying my laptop and extra screen. Most of the time I drive to work and have a short walk after I arrive but occasionally will get the train with a longer walk. Having spoken to a few people I am now in a panic... is it too big, heavy and awkward? Is it really better suited to males rather than females?
I'm a female, 178cm but small build. I carry and love my 40cm for work and travel.

Reactions: Bishka14

My SA once told me that B40 is better use for travel like a carry on.... size 40 for a tote bag is huge, if you aim for that big bag style, but the weight of the bag might prevent you from using it daily for work especially on the days you are taking public transportation and long walk to the office. I would go for a size 35.

Reactions: keodi and Bishka14
I'm a 5'1 female and used my B40 in Clemence many times for work and leisure (also groceries shopping) in the past. These days I prefer something lighter and more casual out of laziness. The wooden base increases the weight, but also makes sure your bag won't sag from the weight. I would rather carry my laptop with the B40 for that reason as I fear the B35 would sag if I do this regularly. How large is your extra screen? It does sound like a heavy load together with the laptop.

Reactions: 880 and Bishka14
I'm a 5'1 female and used my B40 in Clemence many times for work and leisure (also groceries shopping) in the past. These days I prefer something lighter and more casual out of laziness. The wooden base increases the weight, but also makes sure your bag won't sag from the weight. I would rather carry my laptop with the B40 for that reason as I fear the B35 would sag if I do this regularly. How large is your extra screen? It does sound like a heavy load together with the laptop.

Thanks. My extra screen is 36cm so wouldn’t fit in a b35 but it is very light as screens go. So if I want a Hermes for work it either needs to be a B40 or K40 or else I get a smaller screen. I am encouraged by your and other responses that all may be ok!

I see, all extra screens I know are pretty heavy and large. I also put a tripod and DSLR with lenses in it in addition to the laptop when it was necessary for work (was an eComm startup, we had to shoot our own photo campaigns in the beginning to save money...). The B40 can handle this. Clemence gets saggy faster than Togo, but I like the saggy look anyway on this size.

Thanks. My extra screen is 36cm so wouldn’t fit in a b35 but it is very light as screens go. So if I want a Hermes for work it either needs to be a B40 or K40 or else I get a smaller screen. I am encouraged by your and other responses that all may be ok!

1593801356171.png

Oh my goodness I love this!!!! Absolutely stunning. :nuts:

I see, all extra screens I know are pretty heavy and large. I also put a tripod and DSLR with lenses in it in addition to the laptop when it was necessary for work (was an eComm startup, we had to shoot our own photo campaigns in the beginning to save money...). The B40 can handle this. Clemence gets saggy faster than Togo, but I like the saggy look anyway on this size.

View attachment 4777277