B. Makowsky: color fade

No Cute

cupcake butt
Aug 17, 2008
My gorgeous purple satchel was in her dustbag during the worst of the winter as I carried patent. I took her out, and she is changing color. I am so bummed. I asked the SA at Nordies (had to stop at the mall to get shoes for ds), and she said B. Makowsky only treats its leather one time, so color fade happens, especially light colors, and many have been returned.

I so disappointed and really love this bag :sad:

What a shame. I have a pewter crossbody by B. Makowsky and the leather is so heavy and scrumptious. I did notice where it comes in contact with my body/clothing, there has been some rub-off. Not too significant but it's obvious the dye is only on the top layer of the leather and not dyed all the way through so I see gray underneath. That could explain the price point between this leather and all the heavy and squishy leathers of more expensive lines. I think most of the more expensive leathers are dyed all the way through (I forget the name of this application)

I was unclear about one versus two treatments and what that meant exactly. My bag is actually going from one purple to two shades of purple. The smooth cuts used to attach the handles is going reddish purple, and the body (the squishier part) is turning bluish. I suppose if it keeps going, I'll have an interesting two tone. Wish I'd known...I would still buy another bag but wouldn't spend over 100 since it could be a totally different bag within four months.

Someone was asking me if I had color transfer, and I don't with the purple. Spraying it could help you with that concern. I didn't spray mine yet, and it got rain on it, thus the long winter in the dusbag. I need to spray it when I can open windows.

My purple satchel is currently at Nordies awaiting the cobbler's verdict. Can it be conditioned back to some consistent color...it's now three colors. I hadn't expected a refund, though would have joyfully accepted it, but was hoping for some help. If the cobbler can help, and I should hear today, I'll let you know.

Otherwise, it's off to the dye threads, I guess. It was my favorite bag :sad:

I have heard this is a problem with his bags...lighter bags letting jeans (old jeans) run ob of them, darker bags transfering color to lighter clothing...

I have one of his bags, but I think it will be an only child in my collection...

I hope the cobbler can help!

It is this particular problem that I keep hearing; dark colors are fading or light colors get denim dye on them. That's why I'm afraid to buy one of his bags.

I like his Convertible North/South Shopper or Double Handle Belted Shopper for one of my conservative looks and am looking forward to the thick, smooshy leather everyone talks about as well as the pricing for this.

Last edited:
Spoke with the manager of the handbag department at my Nordies, and a deep conditioning by the cobbler helped. I also learned he could dye the bag if I chose. I'll see it and decide if he is. I would try if I had to, but I love the color (original) and think he's most likely to get it right when considering me as the other option.

I have a brown Coach bag that fades on light clothing. I use the Coach conditioner. Any other suggestions?

Today, my red straw handbag faded on my new white dress. Does anyone know of a sealer that cah help this situation.

Thanks

I bought a white b makowsky bag at TJ max for $150 today! I was surprised how much I liked it. I originally wanted to buy a green B Makowsky but then I saw that it scratched really easily and showed the marks so I was afraid and figured the white was safer . does anyone notice this or is this only with this green?

^^I don't know about the white and green.

My purple was improved with conditioning, but it frustrated me to pay what I paid (180) and have a bag in two colors. Listed it, told a friend such, and she handed me the asking price saying, "I like that bag." I gave her back some since she's my friend and I'd have given it to her if I'd known she really liked it. She understands my "emotional issues" with the fade and cost. She will enjoy the bag; I brought it to her today.

I have a new black bag that keeps getting my clothes dirty! It's so frustrating, and I don't want to carry it anymore which is a bummer because I really like the bag. I won't buy another B. M. bag....