Azealia Banks

YSoLovely

Black Girl Magic
O.G.
Apr 13, 2010
Hot new rapper. I like her. Check her out. ;)

PAPER MAG spread

a1175eab.jpg

7275e8f3.jpg

a2943e36.jpg

e3abf605.jpg

6de9bca5.jpg

On the heels of dropping her brand new video for "Liquorice" off her 1991 EP, the 21-year-old Harlem chick is donning some fashionable digs for her new Paper magazine spread.
In the topmost pic she's rocking an Alexander Wang shirt, belt by Diesel Black Gold, shorts and hat by Joyrich, Pedro Garcia wedges and a Mickey Mouse bag by Todd Pearce for Love Bailey. In the above sucker-licking pic, Azealia's threw on a jacket by Diesel Black Gold, Ashton Michael shorts, collar by Louis Vuitton, Versace belt, mirror shades by Diesel, and jewelry by Mishka Piaf.
The shoot was done at Smashbox Studios in L.A. as she just moved to the west coast city:
"For me there's three options of where to live: L.A., London and New York," she says. "London's too expensive and New York's too exciting: too many parties, too many of my friends. If I wanna make this my life, I have to live somewhere I can work, somewhere I can focus." She laughs. "My album will not come out in September if I live in New York."

"The music industry is like a machine," she says. "It's always going, and this new generation of artists -- me, A$AP Rocky, Rita Ora -- we're the fuel that's keeping it going. And once you get in that machine you've gotta run with it. There's a crazy inertia that's been going for years and years and years, and it's not gonna stop for you, so you've gotta keep ****ing working. The minute you stop working, that's when you get stuck in the gears. And that's when it grinds you up and spits you out." But doesn't that constant work leave zero time for normal-person stuff? "That's what you give up when you sign that contract," Banks replies. "This hustle and bustle becomes your normal-person ****."

theybf.com

YSoLovely

Black Girl Magic
O.G.
Apr 13, 2010
Vibe Magazine

ef6c996d.jpg

"212" rapper Azealia Banks is covering the August/September 2012 issue of VIBE Magazine with Philly electro house producer Diplo (who produced her track "F*ck Up The Fun"). And her cover story was indeed a doozy. But isn't that why we love her? Chick always has ballsy soundbite. And we usually agree with it.

Peep the hot cover inside, plus what everybody's fave bratty little sister had to say about her Twitter steez, getting ballsy with "elders" in the rap game, and what her fans who get her love about her...

Azealia has dropped 2 big mixtapes this past year--1991 & FANTASEA--performed for fashion icons like Karl Lagerfield, has an insane international buzz, and rocks huge stages like Coachella with packed out audiences. So why does the 21-year-old fast talking, Harlem bred, colorful weave lover have such a chip on her shoulder?

Regardless, she's got folks talking. And she's not scared to call people or this industry on it's bullsh*t. And she's uber talented.

So VIBE chatted up the "Liquorice" chick who holds back nothing. Ms. Banks dishes on why not being light skinned affects how people perceive her, the best day she spent with Kanye West, and regretting all those Twitter fights with Lil Kim, T.I., Iggy Azalea & more. Here's some of the highlights:

Besides feeling territorial, there are folks who take the hierarchal, respect-your-elders adage very seriously. Is that voided once someone disses you?
When people come at my head it doesn’t faze me enough to be sad. It’s just, “Listen mother****er, let me tell you about yourself and what I got and am about to get. You’re trying to knock me off my feet; I’m trying to stand tall, ’cause I’m here for a reason. I wasn’t even thinking about y’all, y’all came at me.”

Right, but not every 21-year-old newbie has the balls to publicly mouth off at T.I. Were you raised to be this fearless?
My mother was always like, “Anybody say something you don’t like, punch them in the mouth. Do it!” [Laughs] If I had a fight, when she came home I would get another *** whupping just for being a little bird. And she’d be like, “Why you letting these people bring you down?” I was a really fresh little girl, always arguing back, trying lipstick on, trying to shake my ***—knowing in the back of my head I’m gonna get ****ed up [by my mother]. But **** it, I wanna get ****ed up.

Do you think your American buzz so far has been built more off controversy than music?
Of course, because Americans are distracted by **** like that. It’s like, “Listen, T.I., if I was a ****ing boy you wouldn’t say anything to me.” But when I’m a girl and I say something back, the media wants to turn it into all these different things. Rappers beef all the time. I said what I said about [Iggy Azalea] and kept it moving. Then a month later you said what you said. And it keeps coming up. Leave it alone. I didn’t say she couldn’t rap. I said something very real. Out of everything, she had to [call herself] “a runaway slave master”? C’mon, that’s not swag. That’s not fly ****.

Continue.
And that’s all it was. For T.I. to drag me through the dirt… It’s silly. In Europe they leave it alone and keep playing my songs on the radio and I keep getting booked for fashion shows because they’re about the art. All I’m doing is making myself look bad by getting engaged with y’all because no one in Europe gives a **** about y’all. All I’m doing is giving y’all *****s exposure. So if you notice I’ve backed up off Twitter the past days [laughs].

Speaking of that wonderful social network, that’s the main thing you’re slammed for—calling out other artists on there.
Exactly. And that’s the only thing *****s could hold against me, because I’m hot. So you know what? I’ma back off and [tweet] about random **** and make these records. I’m trying to just reach out, do a little record…

Which brings us to Lil’ Kim. Why address her publicly instead of sending a private message or e-mail?
That’s what we did, and that **** is over. Yo, listen, [Lil’ Kim], this black cloud you got over you—don’t try to push that over me. You can keep that, because as soon as I released “Jumanji” is as soon everybody forgot about you. I have my hand on the dial; I can control how hot and cold you are right now. So I’m not even going to give it to you. I tried to make a legitimate track with you, tried to collaborate. I was bigging her up and she keeps throwing it back in my face. I tried.

Do you regret getting into these Twitter clashes?
Of course, because it’s e-thugging… Who wants to look like that? But how else am I gonna reach y’all? I don’t have a T.I. to get on a radio show and defend me; I’m the one behind me. Y’all expect me to agree like, “Oh yea, I’m wack. I only have one song.” That’s one song y’all *****s don’t ****ing have. You might win some, but you just lost one.

Kanye certainly doesn’t think you’re wack. Tell me about the time you guys first met in London last year.
He hit me up like, “You’re mad talented. What do you eat for breakfast?” The whole conversation was pretty dense—two Geminis in one room. So it was so many ideas flying.We spent the whole day together, but the best part was dinner. We’re eating out the same plates with chopsticks, and he’s freestyling for me. I was like, “Oh ****, this is real!” You know how you smile so much your face hurts? And you just feel so busted like… [screeches].

Tell me about the folks who get you—how would you describe your fans?
I think my true, hard-core fans are people who enjoy being bad. People who enjoy drinking and smoking, but wanna get it together and just don’t know how. When you really listen to my music you hear a girl who’s going through the motions. She’s experiencing men, having money, not having money, people who are trying to tell her she’s not cute, people telling her she can’t rap, she can’t dance… She’s really dealing with life. I’m not some little light-skinned ***** out here. It’s a young Black girl doing this for herself, by herself. Y’all can’t keep trying to pin me up against the wall. Hip-hop has to help me not let this slip through my hands.

The issue hits stands soon. Check out VIBE for the full cover story.

http://theybf.com/2012/08/09/azealia-banks-covers-vibe-with-diplo-talks-twitter-beef-regret-kanyes-co-sign-not-being