Awwwwww! Photos of Shelter Dogs heading to their Forever Home :-)

I will never understand how people can go out and buy a 'designer pet' knowing that some poor shelter animal will be killed to make room for another. It just makes me sick. :crybaby::cursing::Pullhair::censor:

I will never understand how people can go out and buy a 'designer pet' knowing that some poor shelter animal will be killed to make room for another. It just makes me sick. :crybaby::cursing::Pullhair::censor:

We live in an area where the vast majority of people adopt rescue dogs and many volunteer at the local shelters. Nearly all the animals here are neutered/spayed too so I have to say for a bunch of old people we're doing the right thing for animals.

Not all people qualify for a rescue animal. I didn't because at the time, I didn't have a fenced yard. Crazy, because many abused dogs are left in fenced yards unattended or tethered for days.
I would like to adopt a senior boxer, but I won't qualify for an adoption because I have an intact mastiff in my home. Go figure, my dogs are my children, never outside unattended, I cook for them, but by rescue standards I am not a good candidate.
My sister's friend's boxer passed away at the age of 13 years old (very old for a boxer), and the local rescue turned them down because their dogs are typical farm dogs, run the property, sleep in a heated barn. Some rescue groups drive people to breeders.

:love: Sooooo sweet...some of those babies are so happy and so deserve it!

I tried to qualify for a rescue or to even be a foster parent before I got my 2 dogs but because I only had a 4ft fence and the rescues required higher for the large dogs that I have, I didn't qualify even though I was home all day too. They didn't want to take the risk of a dog with issues already jumping my fence. I would love to volunteer at a shelter and do something like this as a freedom driver as well in the future, but my time is limited right now with my 2 senior dogs. They only have a few years left so maybe once they are no longer with me.

:love: Sooooo sweet...some of those babies are so happy and so deserve it!

I tried to qualify for a rescue or to even be a foster parent before I got my 2 dogs but because I only had a 4ft fence and the rescues required higher for the large dogs that I have, I didn't qualify even though I was home all day too. They didn't want to take the risk of a dog with issues already jumping my fence. I would love to volunteer at a shelter and do something like this as a freedom driver as well in the future, but my time is limited right now with my 2 senior dogs. They only have a few years left so maybe once they are no longer with me.

Don't feel bad. I was a member of a grant committee that awarded money to rescue groups in the US. We had to review applications from shelters, and most of us on the panel did not qualify by some rescue standards.
It's really a shame, because a fenced yard does not equal good dog owner. My neighbor with a 6ft fence, rescued a dog, tethered in front of his house because the fence was meant for the swimming pool. I untangled the poor dog because I could hear him crying.

Not all people qualify for a rescue animal. I didn't because at the time, I didn't have a fenced yard. Crazy, because many abused dogs are left in fenced yards unattended or tethered for days.
I would like to adopt a senior boxer, but I won't qualify for an adoption because I have an intact mastiff in my home. Go figure, my dogs are my children, never outside unattended, I cook for them, but by rescue standards I am not a good candidate.
My sister's friend's boxer passed away at the age of 13 years old (very old for a boxer), and the local rescue turned them down because their dogs are typical farm dogs, run the property, sleep in a heated barn. Some rescue groups drive people to breeders.

We adopted 3 senior boxers from a boxer rescue group in Illinois and we eventually found out they weren't as good as they portrayed themselves. My lifetime experience (and I would guess your experience with large breeds) far exceeded what they knew and how they judged people. With them we had to have either a fence or an invisible fence (which often don't work depending on the stubbornness of the dog). Plus they would try to adopt out every dog, even dogs that were extremely people-aggressive. So irresponsible.

We adopted 3 senior boxers from a boxer rescue group in Illinois and we eventually found out they weren't as good as they portrayed themselves. My lifetime experience (and I would guess your experience with large breeds) far exceeded what they knew and how they judged people. With them we had to have either a fence or an invisible fence (which often don't work depending on the stubbornness of the dog). Plus they would try to adopt out every dog, even dogs that were extremely people-aggressive. So irresponsible.

Hopefully, in time, this will change.;)
My vet has written a few articles about the negative effects of early spay/neuter for large breeds. I think they are beginning to include medium size breeds in these studies as well. The AVMA opposed mandatory spay/neuter laws recognizing the significant health risks. It will take some time for the general public to understand it is not a one size fits all. Not all owners of large intact dogs are irresponsible, but are making informed health decisions for their beloved pets. Honestly, I'm glad I had the choice.

I was picking up spay incontinence meds for Isabella last week:sad:, and had a discussion with our vet about how much I wished I could have found a vet who would agree to leave one ovary intact when I spayed Isabella. My vet told me that our local University Veterinary school is teaching new students the procedure and how it will be something of the future.
I'm happy the option will be available if I ever choose to add a large breed female pup to my family. :smile: Here is a study done with rottweilers linking longevity and ovaries- https://www.avma.org/News/JAVMANews/Pages/100301g.aspx

. I will keep my eyes open for a senior boxer. Who knows, I may get lucky. :smile:My heart aches so much these days. My husband went out of town for the first time since Maximus' passing and it really hit me hard. Maximus was my protector, I felt safe with him, and I really felt his absence with my husband gone. :cry: