Awkward Customer Service / SA Commission

I just had the worst SA ever yesterday in Lyon. I was there for business, crappy day so I decided to go to LV and see some bags and slg. Then I decided to get the tuileries in camel and told her that I would like another one because this one was exposed and had issues. She literally yelled at me that I was crazy and the bag had nothing and I was too picky and nuts. I went to the store manager and dealt with him. The bandoulière had idents in the glazing. The manager looked at my montaigne and said "see it's normal". So I told him that it was perfect when I bought it 2,5 years ago and wore it a lot so I wasn"t surprised the glazing wore a little. Honestly I can't even really see it.

I wore to a Paris SA I dealt with a few month ago (I'm not a huge buyer, 4 in 3 years, 3 since I joined TPF :biggrin:) but still !

I talked to her on the phone she was really shocked and said they wanted commission for sure. She said that SA's are going crazy about this. She is tracking one for me and gave me an email to write about what happened in Lyon. She even said I'll be glad to look at your montaigne, glazing should not be damage after a so short period. But I think my montaigne is fine and it's normal wear and tear to me so I won't do anything about it for now.

Reactions: jennybeans123
I would not be happy with a email like that. I would respond with the same snarky attitude -like "thanks I will have a good day!" Who has time for that crap? I buy online and love it. No attitude issues with SAs when you buy online.

Would it [even] be possible to ask (of course, politely but in a straight-forward manner) to see/work with a different SA at the [same] boutique on any particular visit, if the SA you are currently assigned to treats you awfully? Or is the aforementioned request to switch SAs during the same visit, seen as rude, and frowned upon by the boutique?

On one hand, I don't want to be "ignored" when I visit the boutique, but on the other hand, if the SA I happen to be assigned to, makes me feel unwelcome or uncomfortable, I would not want to give that SA any sales credit/commission from my [impending] purchase at all [because that SA don't deserve it based on the poor service provided]. More importantly, I can't give up and walk out of the boutique without having made my purchase because dropping by another time will not be possible, especially if during a trip. Any advice/input on how to go about handling the situation?

Would it [even] be possible to ask (of course, politely but in a straight-forward manner) to see/work with a different SA at the [same] boutique on any particular visit, if the SA you are currently assigned to treats you awfully? Or is the aforementioned request to switch SAs during the same visit, seen as rude, and frowned upon by the boutique?

On one hand, I don't want to be "ignored" when I visit the boutique, but on the other hand, if the SA I happen to be assigned to, makes me feel unwelcome or uncomfortable, I would not want to give that SA any sales credit/commission from my [impending] purchase at all [because that SA don't deserve it based on the poor service provided]. More importantly, I can't give up and walk out of the boutique without having made my purchase because dropping by another time will not be possible, especially if during a trip. Any advice/input on how to go about handling the situation?
Of course!

I wasn't aware SA get commissions. When I'm in the store they say they do not but they do get credit and that anyone can help you. I'm so sorry many of you have had such rude experiences. For the money we spend it should be a great shopping experience and you should be able to look at a bag as many times as you like with whoever you prefer to work with.

Of course!
@fabuleux - Thanks, that's good to know!:tup:

I never understand why SAs are aloof or rude. If I'm in the store, I'm probably buying something. I am almost always carrying an LV bag, so it should be obvious to them that I have a shopping problem they need to take advantage of:smile:.
@chandra920 - Same here, if I am in the store, I am usually planning to make a purchase.:blush:

For the money we spend it should be a great shopping experience and you should be able to look at a bag as many times as you like with whoever you prefer to work with.
@Luvnlife - Yup, I agree. :yes:

Couldn't you just go in and repurchase the bag from her? Return it and repurchase the exact bag. Then she will get credit for. The email sounded like she wasn't upset with you, but how she was treated by the other SAs that were not so nice to you to begin with. Sounds like they took her credit and you probably wouldn't have made a purchase if it weren't for her. Just my 2 cents.

I just had a strange purchase experience and now I'm trying to decide if I should just let it go and continue with this SA, or take my future purchases to a different boutique. Mostly, this is just a rant:smile:.

Bear with me for the long post...

About a week ago, I walked into a boutique and ordered a bag that wasn't in the store. The SA who helped me was super friendly, as opposed to the others in the store, who didn't acknowledge my existence. She offered to be my contact for future purchases and I was really looking forward to that since I haven't really clicked with any other particular SAs in my area.

The bag came in and I bought it from the SA who ordered it. When I got home, though, I had second thoughts and emailed to tell her I wanted to exchange it. She asked if I could come in a few days later, but I told her I was only available the next day because of my schedule. I mentioned I wanted to make sure she had credit for the sale/exchange. No response.

I went in to exchange the bag the next day. That SA wasn't there. Someone else helped me and I mentioned the original SA.

After I left, I received an email from the first SA asking when I was coming in. Then I received a second email that she had called the store and knew I'd already been there. She specifically noted she wouldn't get any credit since I exchanged the bag.

I didn't realize the exchange would alter her commission. I actually didn't think LV SAs received traditional commission, but I was obviously misinformed. I feel really awful about the situation. Now I'm afraid my client file has some notation about what an awful person I am.

The whole experience made me feel super awkward.

Note for the future: I would rather have had to wait an extra week to find a time that worked for this SA than to feel like I ruined her week by exchanging a bag without her.
Hi! Here are two humble cents on this, I don't think you should feel bad about this. You have the right as a costumer to buy and be satisfied with your purchase. I think that comission related matters, it is unfortunate to "lose" a sale but is never right to shame a costumer on their decision. I think if she has a problem with the commission system and her co workers, then she needs to talk to her superiors not you. Beware, the moment you feel "weird" about your SA relation, is a sign to keep looking for a better SA.

Most of the SAs at this boutique are pretty awful, so I'm just bummed that I took a sale away from a good one. The guy who processed the exchange treated me like crap so I'm cranky he gets any credit.
Right?! These SA are getting too funky with the attitude. Jeez, they act like "they" are giving you the item for free. I avoid LV stores as often as possible (usually purchase online,unless I really need to see the item in person.)

Reactions: USCGirlie and dbaum
How do you balance inspecting an item with avoiding a potentially rude SA/unpleasant experience?

My hesitation with ordering online is being unable to inspect the item before purchase and the time/effort involved with returns/exchanges (over the mail)...since the LV boutiques (standalone and department stores) are two hours away.

How do you balance inspecting an item with avoiding a potentially rude SA/unpleasant experience?

My hesitation with ordering online is being unable to inspect the item before purchase and the time/effort involved with returns/exchanges (over the mail)...since the LV boutiques (standalone and department stores) are two hours away.

I go to the store and look. Then I go home and buy online. Sheesh with the SA drama. They need to like their job or go work somewhere else. I have no interest in being friends or have a relationship with an SA. Not that I am saying anybody here wanted to, but I can look and buy on my own. Don't worry about silly SAs. Put it in perspective, there are def bigger things to worry about, right?

Sorry for the tough love approach here. I love all u ladies I just want u not to worry. [emoji8]

How do you balance inspecting an item with avoiding a potentially rude SA/unpleasant experience? My hesitation with ordering online is being unable to inspect the item before purchase and the time/effort involved with returns/exchanges (over the mail)...since the LV boutiques (standalone and department stores) are two hours away.

+1

Very interesting. As a former SR that worked at a high-end department store (this was many years ago, btw), I don't like the fact she emailed with that info. Of course, she wants you to feel guilty! Like others have said, sales & returns are a daily occurrence in retail. I would have replied, " that is between her and the Rep who did the return" and keep it nice if you plan to return to that store and need an SA. Mention you appreciate her customer service and will work w/ her again.
She should have taken that issue with the Rep and her management. It's important the company believes that customers are first, and when an exchange happens, the sale should go to the original rep.

When I go to the boutique, I politely do two things:
1. Ask the SA to please show me multiples of the same item (2-3) so, if I go in looking for a bag, I want to feel two more of the same product (gently feel the handles, the canvas, trimming and inspect for small scuffs on all 2-3 pieces and then choose from the one I feel Is in a newer condition.) Specially for Azur pieces, please take the extra 2-5 mins to inspect the piece.
2. lol I think this is just too extra but since the boutiques have a yellowish lighting, I take out my iPhone and use the flashlight to quickly inspect the inside of the bag or slg (specially speedys.) But as long as you are not damaging their products, you should feel free to ask questions and inspect the item.

For the online orders:
I thankfully have not received any "damaged" goods with them, they all have come in pristine condition and nicely wrapped (sometimes even better than the store lol)

Remember ladies, we are dropping at least 1k for every LV handbag we buy, we should be able to feel 110% happy when we walk out of the store. The moment you don't feel comfortable at these boutiques, please just politely ask for another SA. The "client file" is mainly for tracking returns and exchanges. I love LV but their costumer service is at a fast food level :sad:(( in the US we have a place called Chik Fill A , and they sale chicken nuggets,yet they usually have better costumer service than LV (9 out of 10).)