Awful mistake

binney

Dec 6, 2018
This is my first post and I would appreciate any thoughtful answers. I am new to the world of thrifting and reselling. I came across a Dior cannalle drawstring tote yesterday. It had a few flaws such as the swivel clip was missing and the lining had some stains. I figured that I would send it out to get the swivel clip replaced but thought that I would be able to clean the lining myself. I fashioned a contraption that allowed the lining to soak while keeping the leather out of the liquid. I had dissolved some Oxyclean and warm water. Well that took the name and serial number off the tag rendering the bag worthless for resale. Is there any salvage to this error? Such as can I bring it to Dior and they would authenticate it anyway? Thank you all for your assistance or suggestions.

Attachments

• 3AF9761D-E3B7-4607-9498-AE3C4BEFEA04.jpeg
    3AF9761D-E3B7-4607-9498-AE3C4BEFEA04.jpeg
    103.8 KB · Views: 818
  • DB60E837-570E-483B-B3EB-63835FA93AC3.jpeg
    DB60E837-570E-483B-B3EB-63835FA93AC3.jpeg
    141.9 KB · Views: 817
This is my first post and I would appreciate any thoughtful answers. I am new to the world of thrifting and reselling. I came across a Dior cannalle drawstring tote yesterday. It had a few flaws such as the swivel clip was missing and the lining had some stains. I figured that I would send it out to get the swivel clip replaced but thought that I would be able to clean the lining myself. I fashioned a contraption that allowed the lining to soak while keeping the leather out of the liquid. I had dissolved some Oxyclean and warm water. Well that took the name and serial number off the tag rendering the bag worthless for resale. Is there any salvage to this error? Such as can I bring it to Dior and they would authenticate it anyway? Thank you all for your assistance or suggestions.
Dior will not offer to authenticate your item.

Perhaps you can use and enjoy the bag yourself. :smile:

Reactions: fabuleux
Not pertaining to this bag, but I respectfully advise that most of the "designer" bags found in thrifting situations are fakes. You should expect that to be the case for a very high percentage of what's out there in the $2 bins.

Authenticate before selling, in all cases.

And probably this lesson has informed you not to be vigorous with cleaning products.

Not pertaining to this bag, but I respectfully advise that most of the "designer" bags found in thrifting situations are fakes. You should expect that to be the case for a very high percentage of what's out there in the $2 bins.

Authenticate before selling, in all cases.

And probably this lesson has informed you not to be vigorous with cleaning products.
At that time, I worked in the Hamptons and the thrift shops there are very different than in other places.

I think it’s not the end of the world. A third party authenticator might be able to tell if it’s real regardless but then you are putting more money into it and it might not work out. I agree the best thing to do is probably keep it and love it as your Dior bargain.

Whether the thrift find is authentic or not is no longer relevant at this point imo.
The bag is unlikely to be able to be sold as an authentic due to the permanent damage from the oxyclean. I would never buy a bag that was damaged in that fashion.

But on the upside it is still useful to carry items and you can use it as a purse for personal use. And yes, be sure and send any future bags to a professional restoration and authentication company. Often in an attempt to save a penny one looses a pound.