Travel Away Vs Monos

I've been meaning to buy a new luggage and lately came across away luggage and ended up researching on it for few days. Then just today I came across an interesting IG AD from Monos which seems to be its competing brand. Anyone can share their experience with these luggage brands - I am specifically looking for a long term investment here so quality is crucially important for me. I came across this detailed comparison and shifted my mind towards buying Monos luggage set -- just wanted to see some more confirmations. Thanks!

http://www.vincent-ko.com/2019/08/the-curious-case-of-away-vs-monos-luggage/

Hey Lauren,

I really hate writing a bad review but here is my feedback.. I've bought Away's carry on suitcase online mid last year and waited almost over 3.5 weeks just to find out it has never shipped yet. So finally it took nearly 5 th week to receive my set. (carry-on, bigger carry-on and the large...)

Breakdown of Away experience

- I absolutely felt sucked into away's hype!!!! it was really disappointing the entire customer journey.
- First thing you will notice is product is very cheaply made (exterior finishing, string sticking out)
- Wobbly telescopic handle - even my old samsonite is more sturdy than this handle.
- disappointing cs service (no live chat, company of its size that has such alarge investment can't afford to have a live chat??)
- Wheels came off after only 2 flights and
- compression pad fell off in my first trip

Breakdown of Monos experience ( bought their carry-on and check-in)

- Product arrived within 2 business days as promised ( Free Shipping and didn't have to pay tax )
- Actually have a live chat - amazingly polite customer service
- Sleek, sturdy and cool surprises inside the case like laundry bag, shoe bags, magic eraser etc
- STURDY ergonomic telescopic handle - it's not wobbly as the away's.
- I find it's a loot roomy than away's because aways' take up so much space due to battery compartment which is useless if you already have a powerbank
- quality is all in the details!! such as reversed zippers make it look super clean.
- Silent wheels -- it actually makes zero sound and feels like it's just rolling on an ice
- Silky smooth Fabrics and stitching shows its superior craftsmanship.

I loved everything about Monos experience. I suggest you can actually order both (since they both have 100 days trial) and compare side by side. Just return the ones that are inferior, it will not be hard to tell I guarantee you.

Reactions: missconvy
Thanks Maria for this input!! Totally wanted to come back to this thread and wanted to return a huge appreciation as I did my own customer journey but took your advice.

Monos is absolutely no joke! After this post 3 months ago I finally decided to purchase Monos Carry-On Plus and Check-In Medium and used it for a 15 -days trip from cold, rainy weather to hot and humid. The quality of my check in luggage was serious. I utilize check in luggage quite a lot. I have traveled around on a 5 country tour previously when my luggage wheels broke on country #2. That was a harsh experience - the old good Samsonite but just proven to be a mass cheap quality production. From that experience I knew I had to get a higher and better quality luggage set . And I did take your advice after all and I do not regret it in the slightest! one of the best decisions I’ve made! I know with this new luggage I will never be put in a similar situation like that ever again. Not only is this design WAY more high end than Away and just stunning overall, it has the quality to boot! Now I will still be a lost American roaming around with gorgeous high quality luggage.

oooh I am saving the best for the last. THE-CARRY-ON-PLUS OMG are you kidding me!!!! it is absolutely gorgeous, I almost wanted to fall asleep in its inner interior was so silky (whereas most of the fabrics used in other brands are like sand papers, including Samsonite... tumi and the Away -- Oh I did actually walk into one of Away's store in Lafayeet St New York). Customer service was really lacking, and rude; no one was there to greet me upon arrival and after walking around for about 20 minutes, still no help offered and no hello or acknowledgement of my presence. Aside of it all, aesthetically it was great that I actually went in person and looked at it)

After all , your comprehensive breakdown made me think twice before I almost bought Away online (instead went to store to check). Monos is 10x times better company, products, absolutely mind blowing customer service, and I would summarize ---- this is more closer to what a premium company should be like. I compare it to Rimowa - and Monos price is absolutely optimal for WHAT IT IS.

Now I came back and purchase full Terrazzo set for my mom and Olive Green set for my dad. The Carry-On plus version and Large Check-Ins as I know they are heading away to 4 weeks long trip haha.

There is no question, this is the best luggage I have owned and I am now choosing monos luggage for gifting - to most special people in my life. Can't think of anything else to be honest. That's all Maria. just wanted to also give you my appreciation and so that others can perhaps read this blog and be vigilante for their purchase.

Last edited:
Almost forgot ---- it's on sales now if you ever get this message ... for next 3 days apparently - hope you checked out their Check-In Medium's. Because it was released just at the time when I decided to purchase.

Definitely contemplating for husband and 25 year old best friend -- as early holiday gifts Feel like they will love it. Midnight black carry-on plus for my husband ( for his frequent business trip ) and Rose Quartz for my BFF.

Would like to add you on my instagram. DM when you get this message.

Hey Laruen sweetheart! Just got email notification and I am so thrilled you took my review seriously as I wasn't kidding. It's early morning here in Berlin, staying at the hotel adion kempinski :smile: Such a classy hotel, Wonder if you ever been here? And yes I've traveled down here with Monos luggage and holding up quite well. Still pristine quality after quick magic eraser wipes. This is pretty much the 5th city last 5 weeks of travel and just having a blast so far.
I got your DM and just added you on my instagram! Gta head out for breakfast ciao!

Having had both bags I can tell you the Monos Carry-On is far superior. The away looks and feels cheap. The wheels and handle are poorly designed and clearly mass produced. The Monos feels so much more substantial. It feels like a luxury good, the wheels just float across the floor. If you want to put it in handbag terms it’s like comparing Kate Spade to Chanel. I know people praise Away’s customer service but I honestly felt poorly treated by them and after reading about their workplace culture I almost can’t blame the poor girl on the other end of the phone for being so dismissive. If you looking to buy a new bag I would 100% suggest Monos. The only issue with monos is that you may have to wait a while to actually receive the bag you order.

Hi Ladies I know this is old but what is a good color for the monos bag. I am 48 :smile: wasnt sure if rose gold was too young for me or not.
I got the champagne one and it is sleek and classy (the hybrid model). All their colors seem pretty neutral to me. Who can honestly was a bit of a drawback.
My precious suitcase was a dark teal with copper trim.