Avril Lavigne

She's faker than Paris, Britney, and all the other Hollywood girls. At least they know what their act is supposed to be. Avril changes hers every time a new CD comes out. She has no style of her own.

Her old mall punk act annoyed me too. When I first heard Complicated, I imagined her to look like a country singer. Definitely thumbs down for Avril Lavigne.

I don't hate or dislike Avril Lavigne, because I do not really know her. Still, from the very beginning of her career, when she was proclaimed as being the anti-Britney, I knew that hers was a fake image, just as fake as Britney's, if not more. There have been numerous times when Avril Lavigne contradicted herself in terms of that said image, thus making it obvious that her attitude is just an act (I won't say fraud).

I think all these girls are products of what their management wants them to be and what will "sell" at the time. Almost all the entertainers can be accused of "changing" themselves at one time or another....Britney, Aguilera, etc.

Sorry if this seems a little mean, but for those of you that think she seems fake, I don't think you have gotten the entertainment business at all or have a rather "immature" / naive view on how we are as people in the world and especially how music and public image corresponds with our private selves. This has nothing to do with whether you like her music, style or her public pesona at all, but the part of her being "fake".

I'm not a fan of avril's music in general. She had some ok songs, but I never gotten into her albums.

When she first started out with the hit complicated, she was never really a punk artist in the historical sense of the word. Yes, the song had more elguitars than the slightly rnb-ish pop of christina aguilera and the pure swedish produced pop of britney spears(which had none) , but avril's music was from the beginning packaged as pop. Her image was maybe more "badass"and she made that mainstream, but just as trends change and we no longer wear puy hair the 80s way, this happens all the time. How something looses credibility (or becomes too forced) just because it spawns a mainstream trend is beyond me especially when the artist is packaged as a pop (ular) artist to begin with.

As for her not staying true to her initial image? Well, being a pop artist your role is to entertain first and foremost. That being said, these celebrities are just ike us in the way that they want to try new things and that they CHANGE as a person. Her working for Chanel, one of the famous fashion houses, with the above in mind, is it really that surprising, and in what way is she really betraying herself? She's obiously interested in fashion and style and that goes very well with working for one of the biggest companies providing "style" to the public.

I don't understand why singers in particular always have to be faced with accusations of not being "real" when people gladly accept actors in roles they have nothing in common with. It's not that different. If Angelina Jolie can portray a crazy person in Girl interrupted and do a really good and convincing job, why cannot a married avril be mad about her former boyfriend similarly? (I'm not saying she does, but that is beside the point and judging from her popularity she does). In the end both the mainstream actress and the pop songstress do a job, work keeping people entertained.

Another interesting note is that she's probably one of the most famous western artists really nailing the "japanese" style with the blend of cute and pop rock, reflected by her strong album sales. THe best damn thing was the fourth most sold album in 2007 selling 848,912 copies. The second most selling western artist was Linkin park at 27th with 362,773 copies sold.

Her image is just as convoluted as the pop tarts that she is supposed to be the antithesis to. She's no different than the Britneys or Christinas of the world. They are all products. She just comes in a different packaging.

I dont like her at all but I :heart: some of her newer songs! In the picture with the pink dress, she looks like she has so much eye makeup on its weighing her eyelids down! I remember reading in a magazine that since she became married, she "realized she was being immature and has grown up." Please. And I AGREE about her and Chanel. Not a good idea!

With all the changes she's made in her image...I just chalk it up to experimenting, growing up and whatever her stylist wants to do this time.

I really don't care for her music...

i like her.... :shrugs: Im sure if any girl was offered a job by chanel, they would take it..... People change their looks all the time, that doesnt mean it changes who the person actually is. *shrugs* I think she has talent.....

I really can't name an artist who isn't manufactured in some way these days in mainstream music. Alicia Keys is probably as close as it gets seeing that she actually makes most of her own music and performs them (piano, awesome singing voice and all). Her lyrics are also meaningful most of the time. She also seems to be pretty intelligent when seen in interviews and the like. However, I think she still sold out just a little but I still have faith in her.

But to keep on topic, I was never interested in Avril the day I noticed her because yes, she is very annoying among other things. In her debut days, she would constantly make comments like how she didn't care about what people thought of her and she's being her own person blah blah blah. That's fine, whatever Avril, but redundancy makes us question you more and plus it just gets tiresome.

As for singing, she won some contest back in the day to sing with Shania Twain. My conclusion is that her contestants were probably tone deaf or mute altogether. Avril's voice is annoying as heck. She shouldn't be a singer. She should just focus on being a co-song writer. But I even question those skills. A lot of the time in the mainstream music industry, the label wants to present the artist as a song-writer and not just a singer because it gives the artist more recognition and respect. To do so, the company sets up meetings so that the 'artist' can co-write songs with an actual composer. However, most of the track has already been completed and all the 'artist' has to do is add a verse or two of lyrics on top of the beat and melody which has already been taken care of. That gets them the co-writer title. Of course this is not the case for all artists, but some.

And she has an annoying lisp. That's all I tend to hear when I'm forced to hear her songs in public places.

I don't care if she's experimenting with images or what not, that's her problem. The only thing that doesn't sit well with me is her need to talk about other girls (Britney, Xtina) in her interviews. Britney or Xtina do not talk about her in their interviews, yet a lot of Avril's interviews have at least a comment or two about Britney or Xtina. WHY? Why the need to bring others down? That to me is not cool and rather shady.