Avoiding Pushy SAs/Walking straight past them to work with someone else: Do you feel

Jun 9, 2011
I’m going to answer with a big NO but I thought I’d see what you ladies and gents were feeling. There’s a particular SA in one department store who drives me nuts; I’ve bought from her in the past (under serious pressure from her), and it got to the point where I started avoiding the dept store just so I wouldn’t have to deal with her…which stunk, because I really like this store’s selection of bags. Every time I would walk in, she’d follow me from designer section to section, flattering me and asking me about my husband, my job, my (actual) weight loss, etc. It was pure b.s., ‘scuse my language – it was clear she didn’t care about me, or my husband, or anything except making a sale, and she refused to pick up on any signs that I was becoming increasingly distant (civil, but aloof) towards her. It got to the point where I’d sweep in nervously, take a look at new bags, and then leave after she tried starting a "fake" conversation w/me.

I got over this feeling of awkwardness. I wanted to browse and shop in that darn department store and occasionally purchase something and I wasn’t going to let this chick stop me. I walked in once, purposely asked to speak to another SA, and bought from that other SA. The pushy SA looked mad as hell but I did it anyway and walked out and then felt a little bad about it. That was in December.

Then yesterday, I wanted a Balenciaga. I spoke with an incredible, brand new SA on the phone from the same dept store, she sent me pictures on my cell, and I went in and bought a bag from her. Pushy SA Lady #1 was on me like pollen the second I walked in with my husband, and I just simply smiled and asked to speak with the woman from the phone calls. Pushy Lady #1 complimented me on my weight loss (again), said the same thing about hubs (when he’s claimed that he has gained weight), etc. etc. She glared at me the whole time I chatted (for an hour) with the cool new SA and bought my bag from her. The experience was awesome and I pretended the entire time that I didn’t know Pushy SA #1 existed. :graucho:

Thanks for reading this…I guess I’m just wondering: do you folks feel badly about doing this sort of thing? I used to, but now I don’t, because it’s my money, and I want the sale to go to someone whom I can relate to and who obviously cares about which particular style I buy based on expressed interests/needs/etc, and I’m tired of dealing with pushy SAs like this woman. I’m also wondering why this particular SA chooses not to get the hint and leave me alone. It’s really something, actually. :shrugs:

Anyway, rant over. I don’t even know if this thread has a point. But thanks for reading this whole darn thing. I don’t know; common sense would tell me if I were an SA that certain customers don’t gel with certain SAs, and I’d get the hint and back off. You’d think after two purchases with other SAs, she’d get the point. It just makes me think about the pressure behind making sales, the nature of the whole business, everything. I was in retail a long time, and I “got” when someone wanted to work with someone else or with me. Ah, well. At least I know I’ve lost weight. LOL. :amuse:

Tbh no. I don't like it when people are pushy and put pressure on me when I shop. These aren't necessities, they're luxuries and people like that take the luxury away.

I would continue to ignore, but be polite if needed. I would insist on working with the SA you prefer, and give praise to management on your favorite SA's professionalism. If she keeps approaching you, just be firm and say you are looking for your SA.

I dislike pushy people and I chose my SA to work with based on their professionalism and service, not how many times they fake compliment and push an item. I like to take my time, and pushy SAs don't get a sale from me.

Tbh no. I don't like it when people are pushy and put pressure on me when I shop. These aren't necessities, they're luxuries and people like that take the luxury away.

I would continue to ignore, but be polite if needed. I would insist on working with the SA you prefer, and give praise to management on your favorite SA's professionalism. If she keeps approaching you, just be firm and say you are looking for your SA.

I dislike pushy people and I chose my SA to work with based on their professionalism and service, not how many times they fake compliment and push an item. I like to take my time, and pushy SAs don't get a sale from me.
Amen! Great response. Thank you! :smile:

I´ve had two such SA experiences, one almost as pushy as SA NR 1 above (which is unusual where I live, since people like to keep their distance and leave you to mind their business unless you ask specifically for help) - needless to say, she was like that to everybody and didn´t last long in that boutique. Meanwhile, I stopped going there and only called when I was interested in something, then went in with my mind already 80% made up - so not much chance for SA to do her spiel.

In the instance of my favourite preloved shop, there was also a SA who always tried to put together a complete preloved outfit to go with whatever item the client was interested in... she had a good eye and was clearly passionate about her job, but she couldn´t grok that preloved customers can usually only afford one or two pieces at a time and that she was wasting their time as well as hers. Anyway, I was lucky to run into her colleague (who is much nicer) in the pharmacy down the street, said I really preferred her laid-back style, and enquired discreetly when Pushy SA had a day off - and that´s the day I dropped in, looked around, and purchased at leisure. No frustration, and no hurt feelings anymore!

I once walked into a NM handbag dept and two associates were arguing over a customer and whose commission it should have been. One woman was clearly the instigator who stole the customer from the other. I cleared my throat and announced my presence. I then then told them it was terribly unprofessional and I refuse to buy from anyone who carries on like that in front of a customer. To this day, I won't buy from the lady who I know stole the customer from the other.

I can only guess it works on some people.....I used to sell RE and it was the same in that profession. Ah....commission sales can bring out the worst in people.

omg....I HATE when I walk into a store and get slammed by a SA...Please dont get me wrong, I know this is their job and what they are told to do....but I find it extremely distracting to the point that I dont even want to walk in the store...I was in Nord the other day, and a SA from the other end of the dept was saying soemthing to me.....I ignored her because she was so far away from me...then I hear her say, "hello".....sort of sarcastic.....I picked up the $370 jacket and brought to another dept for another SA to ring up....totally obnoxious...and please dont say hello to me from another part of the dept...

I'm all about sales/bargains and know prices and suggested retail prices of almost everything I'm interested in. So when an SA tries to oversell me, I just walk away and come back later or head online. I hate being "oversold" things. It actually deters me from heading to a store if I know a pushy SA is there waiting to pounce.

I find that bags/shoes SAs are worse. But I tend to deal with pleasant designer clothing SAs- they're more chill and helpful.

I can't stand pushy sa's I also shut down when I am pressured and usually walk out. Don't follow me around and start phony convos with me you will run me out faster than you know. I get that if you are working in commission if you don't sell you don't make any money. I'm generally a pretty solitary shopper other than occasionally shopping with my dad.

This happened to me yesterday. I had sometime to kill before a meeting and went into a Saks that I rarely go in to. This SA followed me like a shawdow, first she complemented my bag and then I asked if they carried Celine (which I knew they didn't because the only saks near me that does is in Boca) hoping she would leave me alone, she didn't. I went over to cartier to look at the Love bracelets and she followed me, finally I went to the dior store to look and was trying on a diorissimo with a wonderful SA who even said he'll call me before the increase, and when I left she was waiting outside of dior for me.
At the Bal Harbor Saks theres a SA in the handbag department who is the worst. I went in to make a return and she wouldn't make it until I made a purchase with her that was equal to what I was returning. Which was absurd and every time I am at that Saks she tries to sell me something ridiculous. I never shop there anymore.

I used to work with a girl like this! It was in commissions too. She had the highest sales but also the highest returns. So towards the end of a selling pay period, she'd up the pressure. Then she'd get the big check, then after the first week of the new period, she'd be hit with thousands and thousands of returns. She ended up being fired because her % was so bad.

I went into Nordstroms the other day and a woman actually went up to a male SA that was helping me by saying "I was helping her! I showed her how to change this handle on a bag! She's my customer." I just said "really? that is rude. he was helping me not you" but she was so involved in arguing for the sale that she didn't hear me.

She did apologize to me and him by saying she was "only" trying to tell him that she was showing me that the straps can be adjusted on a handbag.

Right. Poor save lady.