Avoid Cartilage for your rhinoplasty!

As far as I'm aware for the tip the only option is using ear cartilage and septum. You cannot put an artificial implant for the tip because that is a high infection area when using something artificial. For the tip you only need a small piece so its not a problem. Mine was done using septum and ive gotten good projection. My problem is the bridge is damaged from the cartilage causing bumps and protruding the skin. And my nostrils have become uneven due to the open rhinoplasty and internal scarring.
Wont all tip surgeries require open insertion? I'm thinking of elongating my upturned nose, what are my best options, I wish to avoid excess scaring or uneve nostrils. Thanks

cartilage implants sound soooo promising but I think we need to know if there are people around here who have had cartilage implants for 10 years or more without experiencing any major problems, because as of now, I only know one person who has it but hers is just 1.5 years old

Wont all tip surgeries require open insertion? I'm thinking of elongating my upturned nose, what are my best options, I wish to avoid excess scaring or uneve nostrils. Thanks
no not all tipplasties require open rhinoplasty. It depends on the individual case and whether the surgeon is trained in closed rhinoplasty.

cartilage implants sound soooo promising but I think we need to know if there are people around here who have had cartilage implants for 10 years or more without experiencing any major problems, because as of now, I only know one person who has it but hers is just 1.5 years old
i believe cartilage when done well will have no risk of complications further down the track. Unfortunately the problem with cartilage is that the aesthetic complications are common and immediate. As in,should you experience the unevenness, asymmetry, bumps or warping which are the potential issues common with the use of cartilage, you will notice it the moment you remove the cast. Well....warping occurs later on. But if you have had it for over a year and no such issues then ure pretty much safe to go. Either way its too risky and too invasive imo

Reactions: Yumigumi
i believe cartilage when done well will have no risk of complications further down the track. Unfortunately the problem with cartilage is that the aesthetic complications are common and immediate. As in,should you experience the unevenness, asymmetry, bumps or warping which are the potential issues common with the use of cartilage, you will notice it the moment you remove the cast. Well....warping occurs later on. But if you have had it for over a year and no such issues then ure pretty much safe to go. Either way its too risky and too invasive imo

thanks K for the info

i'm thinking my (horror) of a nose will need L shaped silicon (thinking super soft), alar, osteo and cartilage for tip - i also have a short nose

I believe ur in korea now for surgery - GOOD LUCK :blossom:

thanks K for the info

i'm thinking my (horror) of a nose will need L shaped silicon (thinking super soft), alar, osteo and cartilage for tip - i also have a short nose

I believe ur in korea now for surgery - GOOD LUCK :blossom:
stay away from L shape. Even if it is ultra soft. Im not even sure if they manufacture it in L shape. L shape is very high risk of complications. Cartilage is FINE for the tip as only a very small piece is used. Also there is no artificial option for the tip area which doesn't pose high risk of complications.

Last edited:
K Couture,

I think it depends on your type of skin. I personally know a doctor on the East Coast who is amazing with cartilage grafting; he has done a lot of work with people I know and they look amazing with absolutely no side effects. He does it all through closed, too. The only reason this was not an option for me was because of the thickness of my skin -- it would give me absolutely no effect (in fact, I have a huge silicone implant, and it's still a tiny bit more subtle than I'd like).

There is a poster on this board who had rib through VIP, and she looks amazing too, in my opinion -- 6 mm of a height increase with no asymmetry, etc.

I have also had friends who used silicone whose skin were so thin (one used regular, the other used the ultra-soft) and their implants extruded. Likewise, I have family members who used silicone and didn't have problems for decades because they had thick skin like me AND the implant was placed properly.

I don't know anyone who has used Goretex, but I've heard of really bad inflammation/infections.

I think it really depends on the person's anatomy and tolerance and history of infections.
Hello, May I know the name/website of the doctor? I live on the east coast and really wish to check him (I assumed) out, does he do asian nose? like northern asian nose with really thin thin skin? I really love that he uses close-rihno. Thank you

stay away from L shape. Even if it is ultra soft. Im not even sure if they manufacture it in L shape. L shape is very high risk of complications. Cartilage is FINE for the tip as only a very small piece is used. Also there is no artificial option for the tip area which doesn't pose high risk of complications.
Hi K Couture,

Do you have any knowledge regarding ultra soft vs. regular nose implant? I've consulted with a surgeon in the US and he doesn't recommend ultra soft implant like many of the forumers have suggested here because it does not stabilize and have much higher chance of shifting. I would like to get another point of view on this and you seem very knowledgeable.

Also, do you have any info about chin implant? How long do they last, any complication etc.

Thanks!:smile:

I've had the following implants in my nose: Silicone, Goretex, Diced Ear Cartilage and Ultra Soft silicone.

Movement of the implant depends on shape, structure and placement. The method for using ultra soft silicone is one whereby the implant is tightly sealed under the periosteum. above the bone. This prevents any movement and also protects from any extrusion, even tho extrusion is very unlikely with ultra soft silicone due to its structure.

In contrast, the harder silicone cannot be adequately protected by the periosteum as it places too much pressure and over time will end up thinning your tissue. Goretex is good but with a caveat, that is should it not turn out as expected, a revision will end up causing damage to your nose because your tissue grows into the pores. That is what happened with me on my most recent surgery. I had to have further excise my already thin tissue, causing even more damage to my nose. Luckily i had an extremely skilled surgeon who protected my nose using dermis and fascia.

Chin implants are permanent. Ive had both silicone and hydroxyappatite. Complications are your typical infections and deviation etc that can occur with any implants. For my experience, the implant placement from under the chin is alot more accurate and the scar is not visible after 2 shots of kenacort. My first chin implant with silicone caused me alot of discomfort due not only to bad placement of the implant but also the implant used on me was by no means a proper one. It was instead one that was carved out from a block of raw silicone (dodgey thai surgery). My current implant is using hyroxyappatite, feels natural like ive got nothing in there and gives good shape and augmentation. Its done by using hyroxy granules moulded with my blood into a putty and then fused with my bone structure. Only problem with this method is that as far as i am aware, using hydroxy for specifically the chin area is not easy and only Bryan Mendelson, the surgeon who pioneered the use of hydroxyappatite granules for facial contouring and implantation is capable of doing it with excellent results.

Does anyone know if silicone, goretex, and ultra soft silicone can be permanent?

I read somewhere (perhaps on this forum or another) that if you get an artificial implant, you WILL need a revision sometime in your lifetime, since it will almost 100% need to be replaced. (Whether that's from infection, extrusion, or some other issue, I'm not sure.) For that reason, I've been scared of artificial implants, since I'm hoping to not have to go through a nose job more than once.

Is this indeed the case?

Reactions: sallylee0212
So i did a count and since i started using this forum late last year, i have had 7 people contact me about a rhinoplasty revision. All of whom have used cartilage, either rib, diced rib or diced ear cartilage. So far no one has contacted me regarding a revision for silicone.

I am advising you all to avoid use any form of self harvested cartilage for your rhinoplasty. Unless your nose structure cannot handle the silicone for whatever reason then avoid using cartilage at all costs. From my own personal experience and that of others, results from cartilage is generally not comparable to that of an artificial implant. Unevenness, asymmetry of the bridge not being centered, uneven nostrils from internal scarring due to having to do the procedure via open rhinoplasty, bumps on the bridge are the aesthetic side effects from using cartilage and it is more common than you may think. Cartilage is not the be all end all of nose surgey that so many believe.
I agree with you.
I had consultations with some american and french surgeons, none of them recommends rib cartilage! They say that it's too invasive and it's not worth it. They said that septal or ear cartilage is good enough to do the job.

I've recently read your thread about your revision rhinoplasty at Dream. You told dr Park that your surgeon used scalp for your tip, is it right? Could you please tell me if it's too complicating to get a revision, because me too I had a scalp incision for my tip :sad:

Let me tell you my situation.
I had my second rhinoplasty 10 years ago, when i was Young, shy and I wasn't wise enough to do any reasearch. I trusted my surgeon, so during the consultation, i didn't even ask what she would do with my nose!
That's why 10 minutes before the operation, she told me that she would make an incision on my head to get a scalp for the tip, I didn't understand what she would do with it but I let her do it. Now I think that it was for my tip, but the result came out sooo bad: I now have an upturned nose, due to the fact the the silicon implant is too high compared to my original bridge. The silicon implant is obviously slanted to the left. The worst part is the tip, which wasn't augmented, so from the profile view my nose looks sooo ugly. I'm so upset :sad:
I also read that you had osteotomy, is it because of your wide nasal bone? Some Korean surgeons recommended me osteotomy to correct my slanted implant, but i'm not sure if it could help. French surgeons told me that I just need to have my silicon implant replaced. They said that I would't have deviation if the silicon is well placed in a Pocket on the top of my nose???
Do you think that open rhino could help us avoid the deviation? I had close rhino.

Reactions: Yumigumi