Avoid Cartilage for your rhinoplasty!

K Couture

O.G.
Dec 3, 2013
So i did a count and since i started using this forum late last year, i have had 7 people contact me about a rhinoplasty revision. All of whom have used cartilage, either rib, diced rib or diced ear cartilage. So far no one has contacted me regarding a revision for silicone.

I am advising you all to avoid use any form of self harvested cartilage for your rhinoplasty. Unless your nose structure cannot handle the silicone for whatever reason then avoid using cartilage at all costs. From my own personal experience and that of others, results from cartilage is generally not comparable to that of an artificial implant. Unevenness, asymmetry of the bridge not being centered, uneven nostrils from internal scarring due to having to do the procedure via open rhinoplasty, bumps on the bridge are the aesthetic side effects from using cartilage and it is more common than you may think. Cartilage is not the be all end all of nose surgey that so many believe.

As far as I'm aware for the tip the only option is using ear cartilage and septum. You cannot put an artificial implant for the tip because that is a high infection area when using something artificial. For the tip you only need a small piece so its not a problem. Mine was done using septum and ive gotten good projection. My problem is the bridge is damaged from the cartilage causing bumps and protruding the skin. And my nostrils have become uneven due to the open rhinoplasty and internal scarring.

I feel that the general trend is to use a non-L shaped silicone implant for the bridge and cartilage if needed for the tip.
I have seen sad scars from rib cartilage so septal or ear seems safer. Also, anyone have a silicone implant long-term? Have you experienced any rejection or displacement of the implant?

with regards to the trend it depends on what country. Western surgeons tend to almost always advocate for the use of cartilage citing that it is better, more natural etc. I know that this is far from the truth from my own situation and that of others. On the other hand Asian surgeons tend to prefer the use of silicone because of its effectiveness and how long it has been used in the industry.

I do understand the notion that using one's own material can be comforting. But it is incredibly difficult to pull off a nosejob with the same pleasing aesthetic and ease as that of a silicone implant when using cartilage. I think many surgeons who advocate for cartilage do not acknowledge that in this respect, their skill is limited. As what Bryan Mendelson, 2008's president of the ISAPS told me, he said very few surgeons should actually be performing the cartilage graft because of the high level of skill and precision required. He even ackowledged to me that he himself had stopped using cartilage and rather referring his patients to other surgeons who are far more proficient at the method than himself.

Reactions: catelet
aestheticdream,

2 close friends of mine had silicon implants for bridge more than 20 years ago. I imagine they had the hard silicon type as K mentioned before since it was done so long ago. Neither had any issue over he years. I feel they themselves have forgotten the fact that they have implants in them.

Reactions: Yumigumi
im not sure about the ultra soft silicone but back when i had hard silicone the only thing that i couldnt do was the "pig nose" look lol. As in pushing your nose upwards so it looks like a pig haha. No loss there

Hi all,

I need some help in which is the best clinic in Korea to get rhinoplasty corrective surgery... The tip was protruding. The whole situation made my nose looked very short and the nostrils can be seen from the front view, like a pig nose. And yes after two corrective surgery with silicone implants.. and yes there was infection at the tip :sad:

you seem to have showed up on the forum all of a sudden and made 9 short posts on the forum in the past few mins asking about the same thing......that being o & young. This post explaining your situation is also very similar to what another forum member recently described in the Asian Nose 3 thread.

due to those reasons i have my reservations and will refrain from commenting any further.

Hi all,

I need some help in which is the best clinic in Korea to get rhinoplasty corrective surgery... The tip was protruding. The whole situation made my nose looked very short and the nostrils can be seen from the front view, like a pig nose. And yes after two corrective surgery with silicone implants.. and yes there was infection at the tip :sad:
I agree with K Couture. Doublezz, I know you might be very unsure and probably panic now because there are so many clinics. but please take your time reading through the forum - Im speaking at your own benefit. If you dont have time, read the latest posts in the last 6 months or so in the popular threads such as Best PS Clinic in Kr, Asian Nose 3... Plastic Surgery is something that should not be rushed and certainly you should not make a decision when you're not fully informed. I have been following the thread for a year and only active posting things in the last few months, because I know I shouldnt post small questions like "can you help me, which clinic is the best" etc since those questions crowds up the forum fast, plus even if you get an answer it maybe a one-man view and possibly of promoters from bad clinics. No one except yourself should decide which one is best and you can only make that informed choice by reading many forumers' experiences over the year. Since this is your revision pS, it is even more important to take your time and research in great details because you dont want to do second/third revision and more.

Reactions: tvxqgirl
Hi MaiQ,

You and k couture are right. Was in the moment and got caught up with all the info gotten here :smile: thanks for calming me down
Doublezz - I can share with you my research if you are short of time, pm me :smile:
I work in bank so I know time is precious and sometimes we just cannot read 600 pages in a month without giving up our life together. Lucky I've started early.

K Couture,

I think it depends on your type of skin. I personally know a doctor on the East Coast who is amazing with cartilage grafting; he has done a lot of work with people I know and they look amazing with absolutely no side effects. He does it all through closed, too. The only reason this was not an option for me was because of the thickness of my skin -- it would give me absolutely no effect (in fact, I have a huge silicone implant, and it's still a tiny bit more subtle than I'd like).

There is a poster on this board who had rib through VIP, and she looks amazing too, in my opinion -- 6 mm of a height increase with no asymmetry, etc.

I have also had friends who used silicone whose skin were so thin (one used regular, the other used the ultra-soft) and their implants extruded. Likewise, I have family members who used silicone and didn't have problems for decades because they had thick skin like me AND the implant was placed properly.

I don't know anyone who has used Goretex, but I've heard of really bad inflammation/infections.

I think it really depends on the person's anatomy and tolerance and history of infections.

our experiences are very different as i do not know a single person who has been botched by silicone but many who have been botched by cartilage.

I agree tho that it comes down to anatomy, tolerance and history of infections is something to consider. However the cartilage method is also far more difficult a technique than the use of an artificial implant. While silicone is a more straightforward technique that more surgeons can perform well as opposed to the cartilage grft. I will have to disagree about VIP as they do not have good track record of rhinoplasty using cartilage. There's been too many unsatisfied forum members who experience the common side effects of cartilage at VIP who have made posts about their experience.

i was actually discussing the issue of cartilage with another patient who was badly botched by cartilage and why so many surgeons still use it even tho they are clearly not skilled enough to pull it off. Our conclusion is that those surgeons are not willing to admit to their peers and their patients that they are unable to perform adequately a technique that is now considered mainstream. Just like Mendelson said, the cartilage graft is a technique very few surgeons should be performing.

Also how did the ultra soft protrude? From which area of the nose and do you know which technique was used for her procedure?