Availability of Kelly's or Bolides?

pseub

Bonne vivante
O.G.
Oct 24, 2005
OK, so I keep seeing Kelly's and they still make my heart beat faster. Are they easier to acquire than Birkins, especially if you want a specific color? I really want a red with gold hardware, or a gold with gold hardware. I'm also thinking a Bolide would be a very practical everyday bag, and I like the understated style.

We're going to be in Paris in October; should I wait and take a shot there or start cultivating a relationship with an SA here?

I was in Paris last year about September and there seemed to be quite a few bolides on the shelves (in various colours) so think you should be able to pick up one of those quite easily. Never saw as many Kelly's (only two) and both were being purchased by ladies who had several orange bags already. You could ask though...

Paris is a lovely city (I'd love to go back). Even window shopping is an experience...:drool:

The kellys and bolides are much easier to get than the birkins. What color are you looking for ?? If it is a regular color, it should be fairly easy. If however you are looking for a specific size, exotic and color/hardware, it may prove to be just as elusive as a birkin.

If I were to get a Kelly, I'd want red with gold hardware (just like the one Margieb has) or gold with gold hardware.

For a Bolide, I'd love to get either gold, dark brown or anis green with gold hardware.

I'm not interested in exotics. They're lovely, but leather suits me better. The gold hardware seems to be quite rare in the US. Everything I've seen in the NY and BH boutiques has silver.

I love Birkins, but for an everyday bag I was looking for something a little more "under the radar" which is why I'm gravitating toward a Kelly or Bolide. I was reading on another thread that Kelly's are a pain to get in and out of, so despite my Kelly crush, the Bolide may be more practical for me.

I've seen Bolides in almost all bit bigger H stores in Europe; Paris, Milan, Munich, Hamburg, Rome, Amsterdam... I have to say that most of them have been with silver hw.
These stores have often also some Kellys on their shelves. You can find gold hw quite easily, last time I visited Hamburg they had about 4 Kellys with gold hardware! I loved the noisette / gold hw combo..
If I'd be you, I would wait for the trip to Paris. I keep my gingers crossed hoping that you'll find your dream bag!

My two favorite H bags are the Kelly and the Bolide so you are speaking right to me pseub. The bolide is my standard everyday bag year round (I have three) and they have not proven to be too difficult to find, though the gold hardware is more rare but certainly not impossible to locate.

If you have the time you may wish to stop by an Hermes boutique near you and if they are not busy ask to try on some different sizes in these two styles. This way you have a better understanding of what size will suit you best. While there you can inquire about leather color and hardware availability. You may be pleasantly surprised what a good SA can locate for you rather quickly; it's worked that way for me a few times.

Best of luck on the hunt. And of course enjoy your trip to Paris, I'm still saving up for my family's trip.

Thanks for your responses!

LaurieAnn, thanks! I just got back from the SCP boutique, and she had a Fonce Marron 31 bolide with gold h/w that I tried on and now will have dreams about! It was the Fjiord(sp?) leather which the SA said was most durable. She said that when I'm ready to buy she can call around to the other stores to see what's available with gold h/w. She also mentioned that prices are going up July 1. :sad: So I may not wait until Paris, and have now decided to sell some bags to help fund the Bolide.

Thanks for your responses!

LaurieAnn, thanks! I just got back from the SCP boutique, and she had a Fonce Marron 31 bolide with gold h/w that I tried on and now will have dreams about! It was the Fjiord(sp?) leather which the SA said was most durable. She said that when I'm ready to buy she can call around to the other stores to see what's available with gold h/w. She also mentioned that prices are going up July 1. :sad: So I may not wait until Paris, and have now decided to sell some bags to help fund the Bolide.

Are you serious?? I inquired about a price increase and they said it was still not for sure yet. OMG.:sad::cursing::cursing::sad: