Travel Autumn in New England (help!)

Florasun

O.G.
May 29, 2007
Hi All -
I am planning a trip to Boston at the end of Sept, and want to take a few extra days and drive through New England. I've always wanted to see the foliage and the Maine coast.
DH and I have an itenerary planned and we are going to drive a big loop that goes to Lexington, Woodstock, Fort Ticonderoga, Ben and Jerry's, Pinkhams Notch, Bar Harbor, and Salem.
We haven't booked hotels yet (yikes!).
Where would you suggest staying near Woodstock, Vermont?
Where would you suggest staying near Pinkhams Notch in New Hampshire?
Is there anything interesting to stop and see between Boston and Woodstock?
Any other "can't miss" attactions we should stop and see?

TIA!:heart:

purly

ALL THE BAGS!
O.G.
Sep 30, 2006
Austin, TX
Well the Old Man on the Mountain fell down due to erosion, but the Kangamangus highway is still really gorgeous when the leaves have changed. Rent a convertible for sure.

There is a good beach area in Rye/Portsmouth area, which has a ton of good seafood places.

I haven't stayed in Woodstock, but just in case you're thinking that's where Woodstock of '69 took place, it actually happened in Bethel, NY -- it's now become something of a touristy place for old hippies to come visit.

Salem is a ton of fun. Give yourselves a night to walk around the bars if you have the time. I think there is a tour there, but I've never been on it. Take time to read some of the signs around the town, and don't spend all your money on useless psychic knickknacks.

If you stop in Portland, ME, you should eat at Fore St restaurant. Their menu changes every day and they only use fresh produce. Their old stove is amazing. One of the best restaurants in America.

Florasun

O.G.
May 29, 2007
Purly - thanks for the info!
LOL about Woodstock '69. We're more interested in seeing covered bridges than old hippies and a big field. I'll probably spend all my $ shopping in Boston, not on psychic knickknacks in Salem (unless they will help me get better bargains on purses ;)

purly

ALL THE BAGS!
O.G.
Sep 30, 2006
Austin, TX
Purly - thanks for the info!
LOL about Woodstock '69. We're more interested in seeing covered bridges than old hippies and a big field. I'll probably spend all my $ shopping in Boston, not on psychic knickknacks in Salem (unless they will help me get better bargains on purses ;)
I know, right? People do it though. It's amazing how much money gets wasted there.

YSL fille

Sep 1, 2007
Brooklyn
hi florasun - i dont know if this is on your route, but my bf and i stayed at a wonderful little b&b / maple sugar farm called shearer hill farm in west halifax VT. it's cozy, very modest and the owners were so wonderful and sweet. we went in the early spring to help tap the trees for sap, but i imagine in the fall it's breathtaking. and the breakfast was so good... baked apples with french vanilla ice cream and cinnamon and tons of french toast.