Automatic Watch Advice (Movado & Cartier)

chicsylvie

Feb 6, 2015
I'm looking to get a classic automatic watch, something that will last for many years, and had a few general questions. I have my eye on the Movado Red Label automatic watch with a black alligator wrist strap, and the Ballon Bleu de Cartier. The Movado is around $1700, while the Cartier is $5600.

Is there much of difference between the mechanics of these watches? Or is aesthetics/band the only factor that accounts for the price difference?

thewildraven

Feb 20, 2016
Both movements have their origins with a company called ETA , a lot of luxury watch makers buy the movements from ETA and then customise them or leave them as is for their own watches.
However Rolex makes its own in house movements as do a couple of others.
It appears likely from a quick google search that Movado use an uncustomised ETA movement while Cartier customise an ETA movement

Movado ......Automatic, ETA 2824-2 calibre, 25 rubies, rotor with red Movado “M” chevron
Ballon Bleu. .....Cartier Caliber 049. Personalized, based on ETA 2892-A2. Swiss made automatic mechanical self winding three hands movement, date. 21 jewels. ± 42 hours of power reserve

Hope this points you in the right direction, I'm no expert but hopefully it will give you a basis to continue your research.
My personal opinion is that if I am paying thousands for a watch by a particular manufacturer then I want their own in house movement as the movement is what takes it from being a piece of jewellery into a fabulous timepiece.