Authenticity Opinions are just that...

Smoothoprter

Mon for short
O.G.
Mar 28, 2006
There is an auction on eBay, the seller states they are a proud tPF member, I don't know everyone on tPF so I have no idea who the seller could be, but I'm afraid this kind advertising could lead to bad things for those of us who volunteer our time.

The subtitle to the listing reads:

AUTHENTICATED BY TPF EXC COND HOLO CARD CARE BOOK DUST

edited: to remove the link - don't want to bring shame to anyone...

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure it's against tPF rules for sellers to post items in the authentication threads that they intend to sell. It if isn't, it should be.

We try to be very careful about the opinions we provide, and we do not get paid to authenticate. I think sellers who advertise that something has been authenticated on tPF could put tPF at risk, and the people who offer their authenticity opinions at risk as well.

I'm pretty sure it's against tPF rules for sellers to post items in the authentication threads that they intend to sell. It if isn't, it should be.

We try to be very careful about the opinions we provide, and we do not get paid to authenticate. I think sellers who advertise that something has been authenticated on tPF could put tPF at risk, and the people who offer their authenticity opinions at risk as well.

I totally agree! We can't allow this to happen! :nogood:

Wow Mon. What an eye opener. I have never seen that bag, and would not have given it a green light with those pictures (I doubt any of us would).

Last edited:
Wow, this is a whole new gray area, isn't it? I'm afraid that it could lead to new rules stating that tPF can't be mentioned on ebay at all. I know that there have been several cases where tPF members have been ebay scammers or that a seller outright lied about their tPF membership. As it has already been noted, ANYONE can say they are a tPF member. I just also want to stress that yes, an authenticity opinion is just that- an opinion; and I also want to stress that if you are looking to purchase a bag on ebay, please have it authenticated in the appropriate thread FIRST. Even if the seller claims they are a tPF member or that a tPF member (or mypoupette or Caroldiva) authenticated it already.

Also, if the seller had that bag authenticated here and got the green light, then those certainly weren't the photos used because that H/S is indistinguishable.

I just did this search before you posted this, Mon. That's how I found the listing in question.

I have seen sellers on eBay state they are memebers of tPF which leads someone to believe the listing is authentic. I was almost fooled however, when I tried to find the tPF member using their eBay user name, I soon realized this was impossible and could be a red flag. Hopefully, other eBayers will do the same.