Authenticate4U.com experiences?

Bratty1919

Authenticator
O.G.
Sep 9, 2011
On eBay, I mostly sell Prada bags, but lately I've been trying to expand into other kinds of items. I was told by several that authenticate4u was the best way to go, since they have different expert for each brand. When I first used them, response was reasonably fast: 3-5 days to get an authentication. However, I have had issues lately. On 5/26, I sent 6 or 7 requests in, along with fees, for some sunglasses. 6/3, I sent a follow-up email (since all I had gotten back was the auto-reply). To date, I have heard nothing. I am rather PO'd at this point, since the SNAD deadlines for some of the items have now passed, should they turn out to be fake. Ideas? TIA!

That's very strange. I have sent them two Chanel jackets to get it authenticated and I got a reply the next day. In fact, I got a reply from them about two days ago. Did you want me to ask them if they received your request yet and to have them email you?

On eBay, I mostly sell Prada bags, but lately I've been trying to expand into other kinds of items. I was told by several that authenticate4u was the best way to go, since they have different expert for each brand. When I first used them, response was reasonably fast: 3-5 days to get an authentication. However, I have had issues lately. On 5/26, I sent 6 or 7 requests in, along with fees, for some sunglasses. 6/3, I sent a follow-up email (since all I had gotten back was the auto-reply). To date, I have heard nothing. I am rather PO'd at this point, since the SNAD deadlines for some of the items have now passed, should they turn out to be fake. Ideas? TIA!

Another question:
Is there another service that is more reliable for non-purse items? Thanks!

I don't know about the lack of email responses, but I do see from their website that they don't list authenticating glasses as one of their services. I know that Etinceler Authentications doesn't offer authentication for glasses. Perhaps this is the issue? But you should still be hearing back from them, and if they indeed do not authenticate glasses, should send you a refund promptly. Since it's been since 5/26, you really should have heard something by now. I'd definitely send another follow-up email and ask if they even authenticate glasses.

The OP has been contacted, and in fact her Evaluations were sent to her - and clearly she has not received these. That is outwith AFU's control, and they are unaware of any issue until a client contacts them. These Evaluations have been resent today. There were, in fact 3 pairs of sunnies, and 1 previous pair which were determined inconclusive and that pair OP is aware of.

Therefore 4 items - not 5 or 6.

As, in the past, requests have been made to this client for additional photos, which have taken a week or in other cases longer to be received, it seems there is issue with communication - and as mentioned, if items are not received, we are unaware of any problem until it is brought to our attention.

The 3 pairs are authentic, and therefore there is no issue in terms of deadline for any possible Claim.

We did initially ask clients to confirm receipt of documents, or use 'return receipt' but most clients don't bother - they just hit the 'no' button - so it is terrificly difficult to know if something isn't received, but what is odd that with this particular instance we have had communication issue in the past.

I hope that clears things up. and if someone chooses to remove this response, it is not against tPF rules, as one is allowed to defend one's listings etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: Got2bauthentic
The OP has been contacted, and in fact her Evaluations were sent to her - and clearly she has not received these. That is outwith AFU's control, and they are unaware of any issue until a client contacts them. These Evaluations have been resent today. There were, in fact 3 pairs of sunnies, and 1 previous pair which were determined inconclusive and that pair OP is aware of.

Therefore 4 items - not 5 or 6.

As, in the past, requests have been made to this client for additional photos, which have taken a week or in other cases longer to be received, it seems there is issue with communication - and as mentioned, if items are not received, we are unaware of any problem until it is brought to our attention.

The 3 pairs are authentic, and therefore there is no issue in terms of deadline for any possible Claim.

I was very frustrated and rather worried and tired when I posted- I must have included the items which I had to ask about more than once back in April. At that time, I was told "We have had - from memory - around a half dozen clients who have not received documents, and we have had our email system checked completely, and there was, at one point an issue - however, it has now been addressed. "

We did initially ask clients to confirm receipt of documents, or use 'return receipt' but most clients don't bother - they just hit the 'no' button - so it is terrificly difficult to know if something isn't received, but what is odd that with this particular instance we have had communication issue in the past.

As stated in my initial post, I only got the auto resposes (interesting that they came through just fine); on 6/3 I sent the following message, Subject "Sunglasses" : "Hello,
Just hoping for an update on the several requests for authentication of some sunglasses?" Not sure how much clearer I could've been- and that was 9 days before I posted here.
Additionally, the email address in question is one which I use for university emails, so I have sent and received hundreds of emails using it which have attachments. Never had any issues with anyone else being able to send emails to this address other than a4u. Also used it for inquiries to two other authentication services- their emails come through just fine. Lastly, when you sent the emails to my other address, two of them initially came w/o attachments.

I hope that clears things up. and if someone chooses to remove this response, it is not against tPF rules, as one is allowed to defend one's listings etc.

-Just trying to give my side of the story here.

Bratty, did you check your junk mail/ trash folder? When there are communications issues like this most of the time it's because the recipient's service provider or email client flags an address as being either a threat or spam. Usually there's no warning of this and if you don't regularly check your junk folders important communications just disappear.

Bratty, did you check your junk mail/ trash folder? When there are communications issues like this most of the time it's because the recipient's service provider or email client flags an address as being either a threat or spam. Usually there's no warning of this and if you don't regularly check your junk folders important communications just disappear.
I checked the spam folder- no such luck.

ETA- I wanted to see if maybe they had been deleted from spam after a certain period of time. It's been a while since the spam folder was emptied- there are emails in it from as far back as 5/11. So that's not it either.

Never had a problem with AFU and this does NOT sound like a customary and usual occurrence with them. Sounds like your work email has some problems.

Since posting here have you tried to reach them directly if there are any additional questions? I also know that if you send in items for authentication, be sure to pay for all the items you are requesting information on. It's easy to ask for authentication on let's say 2 items and send pictures of 3 items. Just be sure everything on your side is clear to make sure communications go smoothly.

I'd still recommend AFU without any reservations whatsoever. For me they have some of the best experts.

Never had a problem with AFU and this does NOT sound like a customary and usual occurrence with them. Sounds like your work email has some problems.

Since posting here have you tried to reach them directly if there are any additional questions? I also know that if you send in items for authentication, be sure to pay for all the items you are requesting information on. It's easy to ask for authentication on let's say 2 items and send pictures of 3 items. Just be sure everything on your side is clear to make sure communications go smoothly.

I'd still recommend AFU without any reservations whatsoever. For me they have some of the best experts.

I was reached by them after I posted here.

You might want to ask the sysadmin about it. Sometimes they block whole domains when some activity from that domain causes it to be flagged. I mean like whole European countries and/or service providers, etc. Those blocks may be automatically triggered and they have set expirations depending on server's settings so it wouldn't be odd that they weren't going through for a while but are now back to normal.

Can I point out that when the documents were re-sent yesterday - they were sent to two email addresses - and attachments were on ALL of the mails.

We were advised that 'no attachments' had been received on firstly one and then another. This was checked and our Sent Box clearly showed the email having been sent with attachment - (paperclip) showing clearly - and if anyone would like to see our folders, please do let me know, as I'm more than happy to do that.

There are some University emails which definitely have issues with some attachments.

The bottomline is that we did provide the documents initially and they were not received - this has now been addressed, and the documents are now in hand. However, as mentioned there was an issue with their receipt yesterday and I cannot give any reason for that - as the mails were sent with PDF attachments yet upon arrival the attachments were not there.

We are always very aware that dealing with clients via internet is difficult, but we do - of course - have our telephone number available on our documents - and so our full contact details are available to clients and if there is an issue we are happy to speak personally with them by phone. Our telephone number is also shown on our 'Automated Response' so AFU is definitely there for our clients, and we do take all comments 'on board' as without our clients, we wouldn't be here. OP has confirmed that she has received the documents, and she was also provided with 2 Free of Charge Evaluations as a 'gesture of goodwill'.

Shop around for authentication services :graucho:

Shop around for authentication services :graucho:

They don't need to ... AFU is one of the best.

However if you're shopping around, don't ever use an authentication service that hides the ownership of the website. That's a BIG red flag.

Also make sure that the authenticators have retail or manufacturing experience with high end designer goods --- just saying "I've bought LV (or Chanel or whatever) for 5 year" ... does NOT make someone an authenticator.

Make sure to avoid authenticators that cannot provide any references that include past work history that is associated with the high end designer goods. For instance, if someone has been a paper goods sales representative for the last 10 years, but suddenly decides they are an expert, that's NOT sufficient to make them a trusted authenticator.

Also, I'd ask here and perhaps on other discussion boards and get suggestions from people who have used authenticators. If it's someone that no one has ever used or heard of, then avoid them.

I could go on, but I thought these would be good suggestions for anyone who is looking for an authenticator.