AUTHENTICATE this COACH

Status
Not open for further replies.
The strap on the black one looks like a replacement. I don't have any photos of the Basic Bag sides or strap mounts but the rest of the bag isn't showing any red flags. What year was the tan one made?

Hard to say on the British Tan, here is the creed patch:
IMG_3728.jpg

My original thought was that they had replaced the strap as well, but the details on the side are so different. The metal rings on the side of the black bag are significantly smaller and thinner than the rings on the British Tan one.

Please authenticate:
Comments: I believe I received a fake black Basic Bag in the mail today. I have shot comparison shots with my British Tan Basic Bag I had authenticated on here. Right out of the box I had concerns. The hardware clips are too small and feel cheap, the metal loop on the purse for the strap to clip onto is smaller, stitching is different on the side and the strap is 4" shorter than the strap on my British Tan Basic Bag. The strap also feels cheap. This was purchase on Etsy, seller guarantees authentic or will arrange for a refund.

IMG_3963.jpg

IMG_3964.jpg

IMG_3965.jpg

IMG_3966.jpg

IMG_3967.jpg

I would appreciate your opinions before I contact the seller. Thanks

I found a very old catalog from 1981 showing the same strap mounting AND the same dog-leash clip as the one on the black bag. I also found another tPF member selling a VERY old Basic Bag that looks like one of the earliest to have a serial number - I think the creeds showing the small "C" with a circle that's the copyright emblem were the first creed stamps used. Take a look at the details on her Basic Bag which is probably from the mid-1970s and which also shows the same clip and shorter leather piece on the sides of the bag where the strap rings are mounted:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-COA...277?pt=US_CSA_WH_Handbags&hash=item2ebd960d6d

It looks like a few changes were made over the years, which isn't surprising. Here's a close-up of the clip and mounting from Coach's 1981 catalog, compare it to the others - oh, and that seller lists the strap drop as 14 inches which would be about a 30-inch overall length, so it would be shorter than the newer versions which had shoulder straps of either 36 or 44 inches. Pics in order are:
1976 with old-style clip, thinner D-rings and shorter strap ring tabs
1981, same as 1976
1982, same as 1976
1986, new style Dog-leash clip, the same style Coach is still using. Thicker D-rings
1989, same as 1986 plus you can just make out the longer leather strap ring tabs

So sometime between 1982 and 1985 the strap mounting design and the dog leash clip style were both changed. Your bag is perfectly genuine although the strap has probably been replaced.

Do you understand now why we tell people to ONLY compare bags that are the same style AND made in the same plant, month and year?

Attachments

• 9455_1976-Basic bag-Zippered Clutch.jpg
    9455_1976-Basic bag-Zippered Clutch.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 1,617
  • 9455_1981-Basic bag.jpg
    9455_1981-Basic bag.jpg
    390.5 KB · Views: 1,906
  • 9455_1982-Basic bag.jpg
    9455_1982-Basic bag.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 2,098
  • 9455_1986-Basic bag_new-clip.jpg
    9455_1986-Basic bag_new-clip.jpg
    246.8 KB · Views: 2,060
  • 9455_1989-Basic bag.jpg
    9455_1989-Basic bag.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 1,769
Last edited:
I found a very old catalog from 1981 showing the same strap mounting AND the same dog-leash clip as the one on the black bag. I also found another tPF member selling a VERY old Basic Bag that looks like one of the earliest to have a serial number - I think the creeds showing the small "C" with a circle that's the copyright emblem were the first creed stamps used. Take a look at the details on her Basic Bag which is probably from the mid-1970s and which also shows the same clip and shorter leather piece on the sides of the bag where the strap rings are mounted:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-COA...277?pt=US_CSA_WH_Handbags&hash=item2ebd960d6d

It looks like a few changes were made over the years, which isn't surprising. Here's a close-up of the clip and mounting from Coach's 1981 catalog, compare it to the others - oh, and that seller lists the strap drop as 14 inches which would be about a 30-inch overall length, so it would be shorter than the newer versions which had shoulder straps of either 36 or 44 inches. Pics in order are:
1976 with old-style clip, thinner D-rings and shorter strap ring tabs
1981, same as 1976
1982, same as 1976
1986, new style Dog-leash clip, the same style Coach is still using. Thicker D-rings
1989, same as 1986 plus you can just make out the longer leather strap ring tabs

So sometime between 1982 and 1985 the strap mounting design and the dog leash clip style were both changed. Your bag is perfectly genuine although the strap has probably been replaced.

And here are the same details plus the creed of the one being sold by the tPF member, mid-1970s or maybe earlier:

Attachments

• 9455_1976-or-before-Basic bag-Zippered Clutch-sm-a.jpg
    9455_1976-or-before-Basic bag-Zippered Clutch-sm-a.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 1,625
  • 9455_1976-or-before-Basic bag-Zippered Clutch-d-sm.jpg
    9455_1976-or-before-Basic bag-Zippered Clutch-d-sm.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 1,656
Do you understand now why we tell people to ONLY compare bags that are the same style AND made in the same plant, month and year?

That does make sense. Thank you for looking this all up for me, and yes the details look the same as the older Basic Bags you show. Now I am wondering if the strap actually is genuine. It might be coated with something gross like shoe polish that could change the leather feel. I think my perception of what Coach hardware should feel like is from the bags I have come in contact with, which are probably newer than this bag. The older bags I have don't have hardware like this, just buckles. Well, yay, the bag is genuine :biggrin: Thank you for your time and help!

I need your help once again. Calling DemRam......

I know you own this lovely satchel - I believe it's the Madison Satchel. I found this lovely bag on eBay and a man had it listed as black, it's truly Olive Green. Well since it was new I snatched it, but now I want to be sure it's authentic-I believe so. Thank you in advance and as always - You Rock!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/76058330@N03/

Nice one! It's actually the Broadway Satchel which is style 9891. Mine has no shoulder strap, but it works great as a hand held bag.

:smile:

My friend just bought this bag off eBay, and I was checking it out and the Creed looks odd to me...I want to make sure she didn't purchase a fake.

NWOT Coach Shoulder Bag Pewter/Silver Metallic

# 110937989409

Seller: love2read247

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAP.dll...Kzgnz6Ysi%2FJWwpdJ1j8%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Thank you!

She DID purchase a fake. In fact that's the second one I've seen tonight with the same always-fake serial number. "DEJ-" is NEVER a valid Coach serial prefix, and style 9816 belongs to a leather Duffle like the one pictured below. The creed patch is also unevenly cut and very badly sewn in.

The number is on the Fakes List:
http://forum.purseblog.com/coach-sh...enticity-questions-94198-37.html#post18503288

Tell her to contact the seller and insist on a full refund, refer the seller to this post and the Fakes List if necessary.

Attachments

• 9816 -SLIM DUFFLE MEDIUM 2000.jpg
    9816 -SLIM DUFFLE MEDIUM 2000.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 1,653
Does this Coach bag seem authentic to you I would hate to get cheated out of anything. This Coach say Comag usa pat 5722126. It style Coach Madison leather laserr lace bone color. The style is 19625. The coach creed starts with A. I have included a picture not sure if you can tell by the picture. Please advise.

Hyacinth said:
She DID purchase a fake. In fact that's the second one I've seen tonight with the same always-fake serial number. "DEJ-" is NEVER a valid Coach serial prefix, and style 9816 belongs to a leather Duffle like the one pictured below. The creed patch is also unevenly cut and very badly sewn in.

http://forum.purseblog.com/coach-shopping/answers-to-authenticity-questions-94198-37.html#post18503288

Tell her to contact the seller and insist on a full refund, refer the seller to this post and the Fakes List if necessary.

Thank you so much! I thought so...yes, I saw more than the Creed that seemed off, but I am not the expert here! ;)
I will let her know...thank you again! You rock Hyacinth!

Hyacinth said:

http://forum.purseblog.com/coach-shopping/answers-to-authenticity-questions-94198-37.html#post18503288

Since I am still learning, if you don't mind, I want to point out what I saw wrong with the bag to see if I am getting it right...
On the front of the bag the stamped Coach logo with 1941 seemed off...bad stitching, lining was off, no hangtag, funky hardware, bad Creed - crooked letters, wording of cowhide and natural full grain leather, crooked lettering, crooked stitching...am I getting carried away? TIA!

Status
Not open for further replies.