Authenticate This COACH - **see first post for format**

IMPORTANT READ-ME

Please post authenticity questions related to COACH in this thread. No PMs please.
For further information, please refer to the first post on page 1 of this thread.

Please follow the following requests:
  • Before you submit a request for authentication, please search this thread to make sure that the item has not previously been authenticated by searching the seller ID and/or item number. This is not a thread to ask general questions about COACH, please refer to our main Coach forum for such information.
  • Note that authenticators have the right to refuse any requests. This is a free service, but it is imperative that you help our authenticators by using the following format:
  • FOR ITEMS LISTED ONLINE:
    Item:
    Listing number:
    Seller and site where listed
    Link:
    Comments:

• FOR ITEMS NOT LISTED ONLINE:
    Item:
    Where purchased or how obtained
    Comments:
BASIC PICTURES REQUIRED (but more may be requested): If necessary pictures are in the listing, it's not necessary to upload and duplicate them.
  • Front of item
  • Back of item
  • Full clear and legible creed text and serial number
  • Made in tags (when available)
  • Measurements
  • For bags with turnlock closures, show pictures of back of female side of turnlock
  • For bags with magnetic snaps, show pictures of the male part of the snap so that the numbers and letters on it can be read
  • If applicable, search interior of bag and/or pockets for small white tag with production information and include a picture of that.
Thank you and be safe!

Hi There! I am Susan B from Bougainvillea Gallery and I am glad to find out sooner than later that I might of been passing off a fake. And I am glad to learn more on how to authenticate Grandma Lil's purses. I am bummed that that red purse was not authentic. She said she bought all her bags in NYC where she lived and worked, and they were authentic, but I guess even in the 70s and 80s and 90s buyers could get fooled, or maybe someone gave it to her as gift and they all believed it was authentic back in the day before the internet helped with this kind of exposure. Going forward, How do I best authenticate and price the purses I have acquired from her? Thanks so much!

Please read posts 1 and 2 of this thread and the instructions for posting the information and photos we need to see. Mention briefly in each post that these items were your grandmother's and there's no link available, but be sure to include the photos mentioned in those first 2 posts.

Almost every Coach style has been faked, but it's much more likely to happen with the newer styles, which in this case means anything made after about 1990 which is when the fakes market for Coach items really took off. Your Gram wasn't the only Coach lover to get stuck with a fake, but at least I hope she enjoyed her genuine Coaches. NYC has always been the heart of the fakes-selling market in the US especially the Canal Street area so it's not surprising that a bad apple ended up in the barrel. Let's hope it's the only one.

We can't give advice on pricing, it's against Forum rules. We suggest that once you have the item name and style number, that you check a major selling site like Ebay for examples of the same style number that have been sold, and the selling prices. Make allowances for differences in condition between the Ebay items and the bag you're selling. If you're already selling online even if it's on Etsy or another site you should have an idea how to search Ebay for similar items, if not we can give you a few suggestions.

Reactions: Bales25
I just bought this vintage briefcase. Why is the series of numbers rather odd and not in the usual series of Coach creeds? Thx for checking it.

https://merc.li/NZvBFF8Hb
It's authentic. The bag was made before 1994 when Coach was using all numeric serial numbers. When they stamped this one they made a mistake of having a number in the middle where there should be a dash.

Reactions: daimlerz
Kind authenticators - I hope you are all well and enjoying the weekend.

When you have time, I'd appreciate if you could give me your thoughts on this bag. I purchased it in a lot from Goodwill, and it feels different from what I'm used to. The leather is supple and pliable, but seems quite thin. The female part of the turnlock seems different (rounder, not as oblong,) and the strap looks odd to me - both the grommets and the fact that it's finished on both sides, but has the turned-over edge.

I've been wrong before so wanted to run it past the experts!

Dimensions: 12 (L) x 4 (W) x 9 (H)

IMG_1373.JPGIMG_1367.JPGIMG_1368.JPGIMG_1370.JPGIMG_1371.JPGIMG_1375.JPGIMG_1376.JPGIMG_1377.JPGIMG_1378.JPG

I'm glad, I was afraid I was too late.
She had $48 on it and I was only willing to lose $30 if it was fake because its a nice bag and I still would have used it. She took $30 and I’m so happy its real. Wasnt sure if you guys would be authenticating on the 4th. Glad I took the chance! My husband and daughter are laughing at me because it’s the first Coach I saw in the wild

Hi There! I am Susan B from Bougainvillea Gallery and I am glad to find out sooner than later that I might of been passing off a fake. And I am glad to learn more on how to authenticate Grandma Lil's purses. I am bummed that that red purse was not authentic. She said she bought all her bags in NYC where she lived and worked, and they were authentic, but I guess even in the 70s and 80s and 90s buyers could get fooled, or maybe someone gave it to her as gift and they all believed it was authentic back in the day before the internet helped with this kind of exposure. Going forward, How do I best authenticate and price the purses I have acquired from her? Thanks so much!
I just want to thank you for your honesty and humility. It's so rare for a seller with a fake to do the right thing and end a listing or not complete it. It's even rarer for such a seller to be willing to come here to eat crow publicly.

Thank you!

Kind authenticators - I hope you are all well and enjoying the weekend.

When you have time, I'd appreciate if you could give me your thoughts on this bag. I purchased it in a lot from Goodwill, and it feels different from what I'm used to. The leather is supple and pliable, but seems quite thin. The female part of the turnlock seems different (rounder, not as oblong,) and the strap looks odd to me - both the grommets and the fact that it's finished on both sides, but has the turned-over edge.

I've been wrong before so wanted to run it past the experts!

Dimensions: 12 (L) x 4 (W) x 9 (H)

View attachment 4778582View attachment 4778584View attachment 4778585View attachment 4778586View attachment 4778587View attachment 4778588View attachment 4778589View attachment 4778590View attachment 4778591
It's authentic, made in 2001.

Reactions: CR Graham