Authenticate This COACH - **see first post for format**

IMPORTANT READ-ME

Please post authenticity questions related to COACH in this thread. No PMs please.
For further information, please refer to the first post on page 1 of this thread.

Please follow the following requests:
  • Before you submit a request for authentication, please search this thread to make sure that the item has not previously been authenticated by searching the seller ID and/or item number. This is not a thread to ask general questions about COACH, please refer to our main Coach forum for such information.
  • Note that authenticators have the right to refuse any requests. This is a free service, but it is imperative that you help our authenticators by using the following format:
  • FOR ITEMS LISTED ONLINE:
    Item:
    Listing number:
    Seller and site where listed
    Link:
    Comments:

• FOR ITEMS NOT LISTED ONLINE:
    Item:
    Where purchased or how obtained
    Comments:
BASIC PICTURES REQUIRED (but more may be requested): If necessary pictures are in the listing, it's not necessary to upload and duplicate them.
  • Front of item
  • Back of item
  • Full clear and legible creed text and serial number
  • Made in tags (when available)
  • Measurements
  • For bags with turnlock closures, show pictures of back of female side of turnlock
  • For bags with magnetic snaps, show pictures of the male part of the snap so that the numbers and letters on it can be read
  • If applicable, search interior of bag and/or pockets for small white tag with production information and include a picture of that.
Thank you and be safe!

It's true with exceptions. The letter I wasn't supposed to be used for the month code. Sometimes mistakes were made. Occasionally an I or an N were used. Occasionally the plant mixed up the digits of the prefix so the month code wasn't the first digit. Occasionally bags were made with mistakes in the style number. There were several bags made in 2004 that were supposed to have "04" as the year code but had just "4" instead.

Having this information correct doesn't mean the bag is authentic. There are many other things to consider.
Thank you so much, I appreciate you taking the time to reply and explain those extra details to me. I only collect bags from the 90's, so I should have specified that too.

Reactions: whateve
I don't know how old the authenticity guide you read is but what might have been accurate at the time may have changed.

Style numbers now have 5 digits and prior to having 4 digits, there were 3-digit style numbers. (One such example would be a Straw legacy bag, style 105.)

Also, from approximately 2014 through 2016-7, creeds changed completely with production/serial numbers changing to a letter/number combination that didn't have anything to do with the style number but instead, production/serial information was on a hidden tag within the bag with what would be the "month/year/plant-style number" information.

On those bags, the creed would have "RG", "SD," "DK" prefixes followed by a 5-digit number that was NOT a style number but sellers often list those bags as (for example) 20215. (To date, I've never figured out what those suffixes mean!)

Most authenticity guides and "how to spot a fake" blogs are outdated, incomplete and often, just plain wrong.

As @whateve said, a bag having "correct" information doesn't mean that the bag it's on is genuine. Until one becomes proficient in knowing what to look for, it's a good idea to verify authenticity.
Hi there,

I appreciate you taking the time to explain more to me about this process, I find it really interesting. I should have specified I only collect bags from the 90's, so he was telling me this for serial numbers between 1994-1999. I'm not quoting from an authenticity guide or "how to spot a fake" blog. It's someone I know who is also a collector and restores coach bags. He said by no means should the serial number be the only determining factor as to if a bag is fake, its just one piece of the puzzle. There are definitely a lot of other things to consider.

Hi there,

I appreciate you taking the time to explain more to me about this process, I find it really interesting. I should have specified I only collect bags from the 90's, so he was telling me this for serial numbers between 1994-1999. I'm not quoting from an authenticity guide or "how to spot a fake" blog. It's someone I know who is also a collector and restores coach bags. He said by no means should the serial number be the only determining factor as to if a bag is fake, its just one piece of the puzzle. There are definitely a lot of other things to consider.

Sounds like someone we know. :graucho:

IMPORTANT READ-ME

Please post authenticity questions related to COACH in this thread. No PMs please.
For further information, please refer to the first post on page 1 of this thread.

Please follow the following requests:
  • Before you submit a request for authentication, please search this thread to make sure that the item has not previously been authenticated by searching the seller ID and/or item number. This is not a thread to ask general questions about COACH, please refer to our main Coach forum for such information.
  • Note that authenticators have the right to refuse any requests. This is a free service, but it is imperative that you help our authenticators by using the following format:
  • FOR ITEMS LISTED ONLINE:
    Item:
    Listing number:
    Seller and site where listed
    Link:
    Comments:

• FOR ITEMS NOT LISTED ONLINE:
    Item:
    Where purchased or how obtained
    Comments:
BASIC PICTURES REQUIRED (but more may be requested): If necessary pictures are in the listing, it's not necessary to upload and duplicate them.
  • Front of item
  • Back of item
  • Full clear and legible creed text and serial number
  • Made in tags (when available)
  • Measurements
  • For bags with turnlock closures, show pictures of back of female side of turnlock
  • For bags with magnetic snaps, show pictures of the male part of the snap so that the numbers and letters on it can be read
  • If applicable, search interior of bag and/or pockets for small white tag with production information and include a picture of that.
Thank you and be safe!

I am on the fence with this one. I don't typically accept a consignment bag if the creed isn't readable, but this is a nice one. I applied cornstarch to the creed, and it's still pretty "blurry".

Possible 2000 Coach Legacy Zip. Black/nickel.
Approx 10.5" wide, 10" tall, 4.5" deep (includes piping), and adjustable strap drop 14" to 20"
"Creed" HOD-9966

As always, thank you so much for sharing your expertise!

Attachments

• cl7.jpg
    cl7.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 4
  • cl5.jpg
    cl5.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 4
  • cl4.jpg
    cl4.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 5
  • cl3.jpg
    cl3.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 5
  • cl2.jpg
    cl2.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 5
  • cl1.jpg
    cl1.jpg
    315.6 KB · Views: 5
  • cl14.jpg
    cl14.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 5
  • cl13.jpg
    cl13.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 6
  • cl10.jpg
    cl10.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 14
  • cl16.jpg
    cl16.jpg
    337.2 KB · Views: 14
  • cl9.jpg
    cl9.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 13
  • cl8.jpg
    cl8.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 4
I am on the fence with this one. I don't typically accept a consignment bag if the creed isn't readable, but this is a nice one. I applied cornstarch to the creed, and it's still pretty "blurry".

Possible 2000 Coach Legacy Zip. Black/nickel.
Approx 10.5" wide, 10" tall, 4.5" deep (includes piping), and adjustable strap drop 14" to 20"
"Creed" HOD-9966

As always, thank you so much for sharing your expertise!
If picture #4 with the powder on it is the creed on the bag you're asking about, it's fine, made in 2000.

You do need to be diligent with Legacy zips because they're closely faked.

Reactions: Jacynthe
Hi everyone. I picked this up at a thrift store and it’s still in great shape. Saw online the style is the Equestrian Slim Bucket Bag.

Measures ~ 11” x 11” x 3”. Also, any idea what year this was made? Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_4853.jpeg
    IMG_4853.jpeg
    168 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4851.jpeg
    IMG_4851.jpeg
    117.7 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4852.jpeg
    IMG_4852.jpeg
    206.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4849.jpeg
    IMG_4849.jpeg
    62.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4850.jpeg
    IMG_4850.jpeg
    662.3 KB · Views: 8
Hi! Please and thank you for an authentication of this man bag. I think it's a "Sam Crossbody in Sport Leather." 71623. Entrupy COA. The creed image is blurry to the point of useless, however, I'm attaching a pic of the white inner tag.
Link: https://shopgoodwill.com/item/194898005
Item: Authenticated Coach Leather Crossbody Purse Tote A1520-71623
Seller: Shopgoodwill.com, store: Goodwill Industries of West Michigan, Inc.
No measurements given.

Attachments

• Sam Crossbody Creed.jpg
    Sam Crossbody Creed.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 7
  • Sam Crossbody Front.jpg
    Sam Crossbody Front.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 7
  • Sam Crossbody White Tag.jpg
    Sam Crossbody White Tag.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 8
Reactions: katev
Hi! Please and thank you for an authentication of this man bag. I think it's a "Sam Crossbody in Sport Leather." 71623. Entrupy COA. The creed image is blurry to the point of useless, however, I'm attaching a pic of the white inner tag.
Link: https://shopgoodwill.com/item/194898005
Item: Authenticated Coach Leather Crossbody Purse Tote A1520-71623
Seller: Shopgoodwill.com, store: Goodwill Industries of West Michigan, Inc.
No measurements given.
I believe it's fine.