Authentic Tumi - buyer claims fake, eBay sides with them.

Schientist

Schientist
O.G.
Oct 5, 2009
Half vent, half looking for advice.

I had a brand new (definitely authentic) Tumi backpack that I hadn't used and decided to sell. Buyer purchased and paid, I shipped. Buyer received, filed "not as described" with a note saying, "upon further review, does not seem to be authentic Tumi. I inquired directly to Tumi and they do not make this backpack."

I responded immediately to request more information about what made it seem fake, and provided the exact location on the Tumi website where the backpack model could be found. Noted that there is a tracking ID number inside of the bag that Tumi could use to authenticate, in addition to all my very clear photos.

No response. After 3 days, I escalated the case to eBay because the seller hadn't responded, and I did not want to take a return as "defect" because a) it counts against your seller rating and b) then I was for sure on the hook for all costs and fees.

Buyer never seems to have responded, and eBay sided with the buyer. What in the world? They provided NO info that it was fake, and I provided all kinds of info about how it was real. So now I'm on the hook for about $100 in costs between outbound shipping, FVF, and whatever eBay will charge me to have it sent back. How is this seller protection?? The only "plus" is that eBay says they won't mark it against my record in their automated email.

Has anyone had any luck getting at least FVF back? I'm really mad. If it was $10 in shipping and fees, I wouldn't care, but $100 is a LOT.

Out of curiosity, why never escalate? It looked to me like if the buyer escalated, eBay would automatically side with them... not that it helped me to escalate. :sad:
Because the buyer may never have escalated and you could have waited out the case and then called ebay to have them close it since she didn't respond.

Because the buyer may never have escalated and you could have waited out the case and then called ebay to have them close it since she didn't respond.
Oh. Hm. fair point! I feel quite sheepish! Lesson learned I guess. Now I just have to see if they return the bag. I think they probably will. I just hope it's the same bag and still brand new.