authentic Hermes vs counterfeits

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a Hermes newbie - I would really like to be educated about authentic H items so I would appreciate sharing and learning from one another :smile: It is nothing personal and nothing against anyone or any bag.

Oh wow no pythons bags in Cali or just no raw skin? And no lizard in Aussie? I am so glad Im from little boring Canada !

the ladies on the pF are excellent in determining the authenticity of a Hermes bag. when i got my turquoise birkin from a reseller, the mysore leather was so light (i only had togo and fjord to compare) that i was certain i purchased a fake bag. i took tons of pictures and posted them in hopes of getting a definitive answer. luckily, the ladies told me that my bag was real and that really consoled me. i don't really know how i would feel if it ended up being fake. crushed, i suppose but i'd rather know and be embarrassed at home than to be carrying a fake bag around and finding out an alternative way. but that is just me.

As a Hermes newbie - I would really like to be educated about authentic H items so I would appreciate sharing and learning from one another :smile: It is nothing personal and nothing against anyone or any bag.

Oh wow no pythons bags in Cali or just no raw skin? And no lizard in Aussie? I am so glad Im from little boring Canada !

No python bags. :yes:

No ill will, just pointing out my opinion.

For those who say they would want to know, well maybe you do and maybe she would, I PM'ed her and she said thanks for the support and nothing more, Without knowing how she feels, why risk it.but The way I look at these situations is it really going to help or hurt her.

Let's for aurguement 's sake say it is fake, which I am not sold it is, what is she going to do? Confront her in-laws, whom she obviously has a great deal of respect and love for? No, of course not. All this did was bring another person misery.

As for the newbies and those saying it needed to be done for 'the greater good' I say that is what the reference threads are for.

Why am I not 'sold' it's fake: Yes, others agreed with CDL, but only after CDL started it. How easy is it to jump on a bandwagon? Ever heard of 'mob mentality'? That's what happened here. One supposed 'expert' says something and others start picking apart, what before had been oogled over.

That said expert was her defending her bags, because of the same thing. Someone saw a picture of something questionable in her bags and started the ball rolling. Hmmm, think she might learn.

I guess what it boils down to for me, is people (women in particular) can be cruel, malicous things. When 1 says something nasty others are all to willing to jump on the situation and cause others unnecessary pain.

If you are doing a thesis on mob "mentality on the internet", don't you think that your post is demonstrating an extreme position which baits the mentality you are examining? I think that you were sensitive on a level that only goes so far.

If you are doing a thesis on mob "mentality on the internet", don't you think that your post is demonstrating an extreme position which baits the mentality you are examining? I think that you were sensitive on a level that only goes so far.

Yes, partially. To be honest, partially playing devil's advocate, to see people's responses and justifications for inflicting obvious distress to another.

Partially, it is my true feeling.

As for PMing, your not the only one I PM'ed and I did so, because obviuosly some of thing I shared shouldn't be shared on this forum. Including the fact about my thesis. I didn't want that to change people's responses to this particular thread. That's why intially I asked if I was bugging. Please just ignore the PM, if you choose.

As for inquiring minds, I am doing a thesis on mob mentality and ethics on the internet, especially public forms and blogs. I have posted general questions on the general discussions board. If anyone else would like to share there thoughts on this thread, please PM me. Thanks to those who responded to my previous PMs. :smile:

Yes, partially. To be honest, partially playing devil's advocate, to see people's responses and justifications for inflicting obvious distress to another.

Partially, it is my true feeling.

As for PMing, your not the only one I PM'ed and I did so, because obviuosly some of thing I shared shouldn't be shared on this forum. Including the fact about my thesis. I didn't want that to change people's responses to this particular thread. That's why intially I asked if I was bugging. Please just ignore the PM, if you choose.

As for inquiring minds, I am doing a thesis on mob mentality and ethics on the internet, especially public forms and blogs. I have posted general questions on the general discussions board. If anyone else would like to share there thoughts on this thread, please PM me. Thanks to those who responded to my previous PMs. :smile:

I don't really think its mob mentality in this case. Ever been somewhere and somebody made a comment you were thinking in your head but were afraid to say? I think that's just what happened here.

Maybe that thread should have been moved to the Authenticate This area instead of being closed since the issue that arose was authenticity.

I don't think anyone wants to embarass anybody else here and I'm sorry that it happened to a member of the tPF. However, even if CDL initially put the red flag up, some members who are truly knowledgeable in Hermes did think the same too. I don't think they did it to jump the bandwagon, they are very well informed about H and are around the products enough to make the distinction.

Baiting or "mob mentality" can't seem to be helped when threads on the subject of counterfeiting comes up... time and time again responses become extremely heated and people become divided within a very short time when the topic comes up.

People who hate fakes have their views, and people who do not have a problem with fakes have their views too. Either way, every one at some level is baited, you know? :shrugs: So it's a sad cycle...

I respect the moderators' decision to close the other thread. It started as a happy thread that turned 180 degrees. I respect msbroberts' preservation of her privacy as well.

I am a self confessed newbie & addict to Hermes, and I have to admit, I peruse the reference library to get any info, ideas, suggestions, etc on Hermes handbags. While I do not have any Hermes items at this moment, I hope to acquire one/some in the near future. I love reading the threads in the Hermes subforum & have learned so much from hermesgroupie, Grands Fonds, Baggs, to name a few. Since I AM a newbie, what I don't agree on is why questions of authenticity should be handled privately, esp if it is posted in a public forum. Granted MSR did not post that thread to ask for authenticity but isn't one of the key purposes of Purse Forum is to educate & inform members about fakes. Like someone said earlier, handling matters privately about authenticity, including all details of what makes an Hermes bag fake leaves some of us that are not knowledgable about Hermes bags in the dark. While it may have hurt her feelings & ruined her day, a big part of this forum is to question authenticity whether it was asked for or not. One of the rules of the "Your Bag Showcase" is as I quote
  • Do not post fake bags. This showcase functions not only as eye candy for many, but also as a reference. Misleading members with faux bags is not acceptable.
  • Should the suspicion arise that your collection thread contains fakes, the thread will be removed in part or as a whole.
I don't see why this shouldnt apply to the other posts as well since many of us use other members items as a reference for authenticity. If that thread is to be closed, I also move to remove the picture if there is a question raised about authenticity whether by the person who posted the thread or someone else.

We can reduce the number of lurkers/ counterfeiters that peruse our threads by exchanging info privately but that would be at the expense of informing genuine honest members out there that really want to know more about the product.

For the msbroberts' thread, I think the mods were right to close it, as it was probably distressing our fellow member to see her new pride and joy being picked apart by inquiring minds. Indeed, a repost in the Authenticate This! might have been appropriate but equally humiliating.

However, I feel the proper course of action would have been to PM one of the mods or the more knowledgeable members, get some info then perhaps contact her directly without embarassing her.
I am sure that msbroberts is enough of an adult and a lady to request a thread taken down if the bag indeed turns out to be fake, so there is no need for excess "vigilante" attitudes in public (or in private).
We're all adults here and can impart information without sounding condescending, rude or humiliating a victim: let's not forget that if msbroberts' bag is fake, she and her in-laws are victims who were taken in and that we should lend her our moral support at this distressing time.

That being said, while I enjoy the educative nature of this forum, I stick around for the camaraderie and hardcore shopping :gaucho:

Status
Not open for further replies.