Australia's NEXT TOP MODEL Announces the Wrong Winner on Live TV

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!

1. Online Dish: 'Australia's Next Top Model' Host Announces Wrong Winner!
    And the winner isn't, is more like it.

Model Kelsey Martinovich was on cloud nine after host Sarah Murdoch announced that the 19-year-old had strutted to victory. She was not only the winner she would walk away with a Harpers Bazaar cover shoot, a $25,000 campaign with Levis, a car, $20,000 in cash and a trip to New York City.

Bust shortly after the runner up, Amanda Ware, soaked in her disappointment, host Murdoch turned white as a ghost and looked like she was going to throw up.

"Oh my God, I don't know what to say right now," Murdoch said, in front of a crowd of 2,000 people at Sydney's Luna Park.

"I'm feeling a bit sick about this. I'm so sorry about this, oh my God. I don't know what to say. This is a complete accident, I'm so sorry. It's Amanda... it was read to me wrong."

"This is what happens when you have live TV folks, I'm so sorry, this is insane."

Talk about an epic reality show fail.

Martinovich handled the news with extreme grace and poise. The show ended up giving her a trip to New York and $25,000.

2. http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/showtracker/2010/09/wrong-winner-crowned-on-australias-next-top-model-.html

Can you say, 'Oops'? Wrong winner crowned on 'Australia's Next Top Model'

Here's at least one reason why the embarrassing mix-up on "Australia's Next Top Model" could never happen here: the crowning of "America's Next Top Model" doesn't air live. (Insert giant sigh of relief from the CW network here.)

Sarah Murdoch, a supermodel herself and wife of Rupert Murdoch progeny Lachlan, announced the wrong winner on live TV at the end of Australia's version of the long-running CW series. What followed was a brief two-minute reign of Kelsey Martinovich, who apparently was neck-and-neck with her closest competitor, Amanda Ware. Audience shrieking and celebrating ensued.

But after a gracious Martinovich said her thank-yous, Murdoch realized her gaffe, had a mini-meltdown, apologized profusely and named Ware the rightful winner. (Murdoch said there had been a miscommunication with her producers).

There was no hair pulling or dress ripping and, in fact, Martinovich was the first to console Murdoch about her "honest mistake." She ended up with $25,000 and a trip to New York for the snafu.

Check out the clip below to see how it unfolded.

3. How embarrassing and that poor girl!! How could they have possibly said the wrong name into her ear piece? That would be like Ryan Seacrest announcing the runner-up as the winner on AI and 5 minutes later, taking back and admitting he said the wrong name. Can you imagine that happening?

I give her a lot of credit for accepting it so graciously!!!

4. WOW. that's why they should read it from an envelope and choose the winner IN ADVANCE of the actual live show!!! that was mortifying! ryan seacrest would never do this because on AI the producers tell him the winner/who's going home before the show even starts.

5. it really sucks.

6. http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/b203279_next_top_model_host_explains_her.html

Next Top Model Host Explains Her Broadcast Blunder

Just days after screwing up the announcement of the winner during the Australia's Next Top Model finale, host Sarah Murdoch is speaking out about the catwalk catastrophe.

"The last thing that had been communicated to me through my earpiece was Kelsey [Martinovich] 1, Amanda [Ware] 2," Murdoch told the Aussie news show A Current Affair. "We had this great idea that we wouldn't use a card, that we would have it all communicated to me through my earpiece."

So much for great ideas…

MORE: Next Top Model's Epic Fail

Unfortunately, when it came time to actually make the big reveal, Murdoch says she heard nothing but silence coming from the other end.

"So I went with what I was last told. It was a genuine miscommunication. As far as I knew, it was the right call."

As for speculation that this was nothing more than a publicity stunt, Murdoch said she wouldn't wish such an embarrassment on her "worst enemy."

"I don't know if I love live TV so much anymore," she added.

Um. Speak for yourself.