Aussie Members - Please help - customs duties!

1. Over at PurseBlog, we started a new series called Closet Confessionals in which we examine how readers and TPFers afford their bag addictions. Read about it in this intro article and submit your own confessional here. We are looking forward to hearing from you!
    Dismiss Notice
  1. Does anyone know the rules and how much you need to pay if you buy a second hand chloe bag on eBay? Im about to buy one that will cost me about 1100 Australian + post. Any help would be appreciated! :yes:

2. is it from overseas?? how much is it without post?? (you have to pay tax if the item is over $1000 not inc postage)

3. Its coming from the UK. And it is 1100 aud not including post. From my calculations I would need to pay about $160 for gst and customs duty. I guess I will have to factor that into the price?

4. You need to take into account postage when working out the GST bit. Assuming the postage cost was $50, your customs duty and GST will be as follows:

Bag $1100*5%=$55 (customs duty)

Then to work out GST:

$1100 + $55 (customs duty) + $50 (postage cost) = $1205*10%
    = $120.5

Your total customs duty + GST would be $175.50

You will recieve a bill for this.

Your courier may also levy clearance charges against you to clear the imports.

5. Thanks for that tiffany. I take it the value of the bag is the amount declared by the sender on the package? If I worked her down on her price by a US$50, and it was then just less than $999AUD, would I pay any of this?

6. You shouldn't have to pay any tax if the price of the item, not including postage, is less than AUD$1000. Remember that currency exchange changes daily (possibly even hourly). USD$750 could be AUD$990 one day and AUD$1000+ the next.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice