Auctiva - hacked?

starrymaz

*starry*
O.G.
Jan 8, 2007
Today I was looking at some auctions on ebay that were using Auctiva. When I tried to click on the pictures to view the larger pics, it went to a page that said:

Reported Attack Site!

This web site at www.auctiva.com has been reported as an attack site and has been blocked based on your security preferences.

Attack sites try to install programs that steal private information, use your computer to attack others, or damage your system.

Some attack sites intentionally distribute harmful software, but many are compromised without the knowledge or permission of their owners.

So then I Googled "Auctiva" and right underneath the results for Auctiva, it said "This site may harm your computer."

http://www.google.com/support/webse...Q&sa=X&oi=malwarewarninglink&resnum=1&ct=help

Anyone know what's going on? I was afraid to click on the link to Auctiva for fear that it may be hacked.

I just found the same thing - I did a little exploration and found this on the Auctiva community board:

Hi Community,

As many of you may have already noticed, we are receiving more reports that some users are receiving warnings from their antivirus software stating the Auctiva website may be a malicious site. Our engineering team is in the process of working on this problem and we will get it resolved as soon as possible. The Auctiva website may be slower than usual as a result of the emergency work we are doing.

I will post further updates on this situation to the following thread as additional information becomes available. Thanks for understanding.

-Mike

^^^^^^ The same thing happened to me today. I also did not click on the link to Auctiva, but thought this very strange. Thanks for the update.

Last edited:
I received the attack report this morning while I was trying to list some items. When I checked the information on the "attack report" I got the following info:

Safe Browsing
Diagnostic page for auctiva.com

What is the current listing status for auctiva.com?
Site is listed as suspicious - visiting this web site may harm your computer.

Part of this site was listed for suspicious activity 2 time(s) over the past 90 days.

What happened when Google visited this site?
Of the 45 pages we tested on the site over the past 90 days, 5 page(s) resulted in malicious software being downloaded and installed without user consent. The last time Google visited this site was on 2009-02-21, and the last time suspicious content was found on this site was on 2009-02-21.
Malicious software includes 6 scripting exploit(s), 6 trojan(s). Successful infection resulted in an average of 10 new processes on the target machine.

Malicious software is hosted on 2 domain(s), including luckffxi.com/, auctlva.com/.

1 domain(s) appear to be functioning as intermediaries for distributing malware to visitors of this site, including me9x.cn/.

This site was hosted on 3 network(s) including AS16509 (AMAZON), AS174 (COGENT), AS14744 (INTERNAP).

Has this site acted as an intermediary resulting in further distribution of malware?
Over the past 90 days, auctiva.com did not appear to function as an intermediary for the infection of any sites.

Has this site hosted malware?
No, this site has not hosted malicious software over the past 90 days.

How did this happen?
In some cases, third parties can add malicious code to legitimate sites, which would cause us to show the warning message.

I'm hoping it will be worked out soon, because I'm new to Auctiva and was really looking forward to checking it out!

i yesterday got the message on the website, thought maybe false alert, and ignored it.

but then after using auctiva.com, i got a virus! :tdown:

How awful! :sad: I haven't clicked on any Auctiva links yet and will continue to hold off until they fix this.

Ugh, I hope they fix this soon, I do all my listing through them since they have free templates and unlimited pics!

Yeah, I hope they fix this soon too since I have some stuff I want to list.

Yeah, me too. This is not a good thing and they are not being upfront about it.

I agree that they are not being upfront about this. I wonder about exactly what is going on with them.

Last edited:
I was on the website yesterday, did not get a virus. They are posting about the problem in their community boards, but you actually have to go onto their site to read the boards, so it's kind of catch-22. Today their servers are so slow I can't even get past the warning. (Apparently they have been taking their servers down in groups, so the remaining servers have to handle more traffic and get slower.)