Auctions for Authentic Chanel Boy Bag and Balenciaga First Cancelled for "Trademark Violation"

labrat1996

O.G.
Aug 26, 2010
I have been an eBay member since 1997 and was a Powerseller many years ago (with 100% feedback). I stopped selling on eBay after they started to allow refunds six months after the sale and felt that I didn't need the money or the aggravation. Then my purse room got too full and I decided I kind of missed the excitement of auction selling. I listed a 2005 Z Tag Bordeaux Balenciaga First Bag that was well used, but had amazing leather and offered it at $24.99 with free shipping and I spent hours taking pictures making sure to get clear images of the silver tag, inside leather tag, the brass bales, the notched grommets and the damage on the handles. I thought that someone who couldn't afford a Balenciaga usually would love the opportunity to own one just to see what the deal was about the 2005 leather. I also listed a Velvet and Satin Chanel Small Boy Bag that was a sample bag from a photo shoot. It was clearly marked as such and was one of a kind, and had an ASK handwritten tag sewn into the interior for reference from Chanel for verification since there was no hologram or card. It had a dust bag and front flat protector as well. It had Reuthenium hardware. It was from the same year as my Chanel Small Dallas Boy Bag and my Chanel Boy WOC with short chain (2014). Like the Balenciaga Bag, I had purchased it on eBay from a 100% feedback Powerseller. I had many messages from eBayers, about the Chanel Bag, but one member in particular was dead set that because there wasn't a hologram or card, it was a fake and only worth $300. I just told her that then I would keep the bag forever then if that was the case. I wanted to tell her that when I was first collecting handbags, I had purchased a Prada bag with a perfect interior tag and perfect matching authentication plastic card and when the logo hardware and leather didn't feel right to me I had my suspicions confirmed here that it was a fake bag. I also wanted to tell her that Google was her friend, but didn't want to "feed the troll" so I just tried to keep it light. Many days later, 10 minutes before my Chanel Bag auction was to end (and the bids were very good and several hundred above what I paid for the bag), the auctions for the Chanel Bag AND the Balenciaga bag were cancelled for "Trademark Violation". I sold the Chanel Bag to another collector already (eBay missed out on about $200 of fees) but the Balenciaga Bag has me perplexed. The Chanel buyer is paying for the certificate, so I am going to send that to eBay, but since I was only offering the Balenciaga for $24.99 with free shipping, I don't really want to pay for an authentification. What should I do with that Bag? any suggestions? Also - If I want to sell the bags I bought from Real Deal Collection without receipts (my 2005 Teal doesn't have a store receipt) should I have to get a letter of authenticity before I sell again? I know they are authentic, but if I get another ding I get suspended. So upset!

Last edited:
I sold the Chanel Bag to another collector already (eBay missed out on about $200 of fees) but the Balenciaga Bag has me perplexed. The Chanel buyer is paying for the certificate, so I am going to send that to eBay
Please clarify. Are you saying you sold the Chanel bag "off ebay?" If the listing was removed prior to the end of the listing, how did you already sell it?

As for the bags, now that they're removed, I don't think the Chanel buyer should pay for the authentication. It's my opinion that you should pay. Since you've already saved (by your own words) $200 on ebay fees, the < $10 it will cost to reassure her is a small price to pay. The buyer shouldn't have to pay for the authentication of a removed listing.

I'd do the same for the Balenciaga.

The sad thing is I have spent hundreds of hours in the past 6 years learning about how to authenticate the purses of designers I admire and yet buyers who have a tinge of knowledge from something they have read have the power to deny me the right to sell on eBay. How is that right?

This happened a while ago, but I was just too upset to talk about it. The buyer got the bag for $400 less than the bid at 10 minutes left to go (and we all know that means as bids go up quite a bit the last few seconds), but we already had a relationship bagwise (as a lot of us do on Purseforum) and it is much easier for her to authenticate the bag in person in Beverly Hills than it is for me in Kansas City. She got a great deal and I am glad because she is going to give the bag to her niece. I would have consigned it otherwise. I wasn't looking to make money. Just wanted the bag to go to a worthy home.

Ok - since I am being attacked I thought I would show some pictures. Let me know if there is something else you want to see.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 235
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 248
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 247
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 288
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    108.9 KB · Views: 280
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    188.3 KB · Views: 274
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    131.4 KB · Views: 271
This happened a while ago, but I was just too upset to talk about it. The buyer got the bag for $400 less than the bid at 10 minutes left to go (and we all know that means as bids go up quite a bit the last few seconds), but we already had a relationship bagwise (as a lot of us do on Purseforum) and it is much easier for her to authenticate the bag in person in Beverly Hills than it is for me in Kansas City. She got a great deal and I am glad because she is going to give the bag to her niece. I would have consigned it otherwise. I wasn't looking to make money. Just wanted the bag to go to a worthy home.
Understand that I'm sorry if you had authentic items removed. That's always painful.

BUT......
What you've said makes no sense. In order to save $200 on ebay's FVF, you sold the Chanel bag for $400 less than the bid amount at the time? So not only were you cheating ebay of its rightfully earned commission but you cost yourself $400 by selling to "a worthy home."

I don't know about you, but when I sell, once I get my money, I don't care what kind of home it goes to. (It's not like I'm selling my puppy! It's a purse and I want the best price I can get.)

Although this is a bit different from other transactions that go south after buyers and sellers take their sales and purchases off-site, it's yet another example of the karma that happens when you try to beat the system.

And since the bag was sold "off-ebay," getting that ding off your account is going to be impossible.

You don't understand. I WANTED to sell the purse on eBay, but they cancelled my auction with 10 minutes left due to "Trademark Infringement". I did not want the auction to end on either purse. I would have made much more money even with eBay fees figured in. At the 10 minute mark when they cancelled the auction, I would have been at least $200 ahead of what I ended up with and as we all know, auctions go up quite a bit in the last few minutes. I figure the cancellation of the auction cost me at least $400 or more (probably a LOT more). I wasn't trying to avoid the FVF. They did that when they cancelled my auction, which is just what ticks me off so much, because eBay cost me ALOT of money. I was so upset, I just went with my contacts and sold the purse to someone who I thought deserved it for being nice and offered a reasonable amount. Sometimes being nice counts. I can't believe you all are being so hurtful at me for trying to find a good resolution to eBay's Nazi tactics. I just want a nice home for my purses. What is so wrong with that? When did Purseforum get so mean? I have been here since 2010. What has happened to you all?

Reactions: acrowcounted
I think someone reported the Chanel. Being a sample bag, it is impossible to prove it is authentic. I have a brand name bag that was made pre-production to be used in an ad campaign. Even though I have documentation, it wouldn't pass an authentication so I can't sell it on ebay.

I think once ebay removed the Chanel, they removed the Bal in an overabundance of caution. It's possible it wasn't even reported. The low price might have been a warning flag to them. If I were you, since you don't want to make much money on the Bal, I'd list it somewhere else. I'd probably price it a little higher, like around $100 and take best offers.

Once you get the authentication proof of the Chanel, you can appeal the ding on your account with ebay. When you see if that is successful, you can ask why they removed the Bal. Maybe you'll get someone at ebay who will help.

Are you planning on selling many more bags? Has ebay put restrictions on your account? If you aren't, I don't think it is that important to get ebay to remove the dings.

Reactions: BeenBurned
You don't understand. I WANTED to sell the purse on eBay, but they cancelled my auction with 10 minutes left due to "Trademark Infringement". I did not want the auction to end on either purse. I would have made much more money even with eBay fees figured in. At the 10 minute mark when they cancelled the auction, I would have been at least $200 ahead of what I ended up with and as we all know, auctions go up quite a bit in the last few minutes. I figure the cancellation of the auction cost me at least $400 or more (probably a LOT more). I wasn't trying to avoid the FVF. They did that when they cancelled my auction, which is just what ticks me off so much, because eBay cost me ALOT of money. I was so upset, I just went with my contacts and sold the purse to someone who I thought deserved it for being nice and offered a reasonable amount. Sometimes being nice counts. I can't believe you all are being so hurtful at me for trying to find a good resolution to eBay's Nazi tactics. I just want a nice home for my purses. What is so wrong with that? When did Purseforum get so mean? I have been here since 2010. What has happened to you all?
I realize you're upset. It's upsetting to have listings removed from ebay and even more upsetting when the items are authentic. But pointing out what seems to be mistakes made on your part is not being mean.

In your OP, you stated, "Many days later, 10 minutes before my Chanel Bag auction was to end (and the bids were very good and several hundred above what I paid for the bag), the auctions for the Chanel Bag AND the Balenciaga bag were cancelled for "Trademark Violation". I sold the Chanel Bag to another collector already (eBay missed out on about $200 of fees) but the Balenciaga Bag has me perplexed. The Chanel buyer is paying for the certificate." I am inferring (possibly incorrectly??) that you "already sold" it off ebay. You said that but is that not what you mean?

If you read the ebay forum, there have been hundreds of discussions where many members with different opinions post their own feelings. Just because they disagree with each other doesn't mean that they're being "mean."

If you have dings on your accounts, do as @whateve suggested and get those dings removed.