Auction won, how to respond to postage cost change?

Jun 16, 2008
Hi everyone,

Feeling a bit annoyed right now.
I messaged a seller, who was selling a bath and body products set of a well known brand, to ask how much postage would be to my country. They replied and specified an amount of $25 which seemed fair as it was international shipping and the products would weight a fair bit.

The auction proceeded to go on and I WON at a VERY low price which I was very pleased about. The seller sent me an invoice with a shipping rate of $40. I immediately asked they send me an invoice with the shipping rate as specified previously ($25). They did as I asked and I paid on the day I won the auction.

I didn't hear anything but now...3 days later...they have emailed me again saying the cheapest possible postage rate will be $34. I am obviously unhappy about this and don't want to pay an extra $9 - but I want to know the best way to reply....I believe they specified $25, I paid this, and that is consequently what I should pay. I have a feeling they are regretting that the auction price ended so low and now they are trying to recoup some extra by charging me higher postage.

This doesn't seem fair to me. What are my options???

I would reply that they quoted you a price knowing that you were interested in the item. If they miscalculated the postage, it is their fault - and you should not have to pay the difference. If they continue to press you for more funds, I would report them to ebay - they are not allowed to do that.

maybe they thought that $25 would be enough but when they double checked, the seller realised he/she needed more? nobody likes to be screwed on shipping. :nogood:

did she want to charge you more AFTER you paid??

oh, i just read that you DID just pay $25. haha

then I don't think it's fair for a seller to charge MORE for shipping after it's already been paid for. It was their mistake. Not yours.

Thank you everyone for your opinions and the information that this is a wrong and breach of ebay's rules for which I can report the seller. I have replied back in a similar fashion to what Jennie's Aunt suggested....so now I am waiting to see their response. If they won't accept it is their responsibility to wear the cost of miscalculated postage and I don't get my item that I have paid for (they put the $25 quoted postage cost in the invoice i paid!!)...then i will report them!

This has happened to me where I was selling an item, estimated weight, buyer paid for shipping, and then it cost a few dollars more (you would be surprised as to how much tape adds to the weight of the package!). I eat that cost, because there is no way I would ask for more shipping fees once buyer has paid. If you were quoted $25 and paid that, the seller should not be charging you more...I would report them for shipping fee violation.

This has happened to me where I was selling an item, estimated weight, buyer paid for shipping, and then it cost a few dollars more (you would be surprised as to how much tape adds to the weight of the package!). I eat that cost, because there is no way I would ask for more shipping fees once buyer has paid. If you were quoted $25 and paid that, the seller should not be charging you more...I would report them for shipping fee violation.

Totally agreed! I've undercharged on postage several times and never once have I ever asked a buyer to bear the extra cost. :shocked: In situations where I've over-estimated on postage however, I have always refunded the difference - and many buyers are surprised by the gesture - but appreciate it nevertheless! :flowers:

Thank you everyone for your opinions and the information that this is a wrong and breach of ebay's rules for which I can report the seller. I have replied back in a similar fashion to what Jennie's Aunt suggested....so now I am waiting to see their response. If they won't accept it is their responsibility to wear the cost of miscalculated postage and I don't get my item that I have paid for (they put the $25 quoted postage cost in the invoice i paid!!)...then i will report them!

Have you heard anything from the seller yet?

Please keep us posted!