Attempting to train the cats

oggers86

Dec 7, 2008
So I have taken it upon myself to try and train the cats into doing various things, like responding to their names, responding to various commends and maybe even doing a few tricks.

I got myself a clicker and they now come running when I click because they get a treat. I have just started using their names before I click and if they come running they get a click and treat. Its impossible to do in the same room though as they both come running!!

After a few more days of name training I will try get them to respond when I tell them to get down or off, Elise does this already when she is sat somewhere she shouldnt!!!

My friends think im a bit mad training my cats because they think the whole point of having a cat is that they dont need training. Whilst this may be true as a whole, getting them to respond to various commands will most certainly be useful, gives them something to do and is fun for all of us.

Anybody else trained a cat?

I have not but I look forward to hearing about your successes. I've seen things on TV where people have trained their cats to jump through hoops, etc. so I don't think it's super rare to have a trained cat. Besides if you have the time and don't mind the effort then why not try it?

My cats are trained but it was just through osmosis as I never specifically tried to train them. They learned their names organically and come when I call them. They know what "no" and "down" mean. They also know what "Do you want treats?" and "Are you hungry?" means.

As does, 'Who wants their dinner?' around here! Doesn't matter what tone of voice is used, or how quietly you speak....everyone gets down off their cushion/the bed/the sofa and troops forth in one mass......

All I have to say is "All right. all right!" and there's a stampede before the words are all the way out of my mouth.

OP, cats are actually pretty smart and quite capable of learning--I don't think you're silly or wasting time at all for training them. The thing is, though, they can learn what you don't want them to do but that doesn't mean they're not going to do it, if you KWIM. My cats know when they're being bad kitties but that doesn't stop them. Me shouting "No!" or shaking the sprayer bottle threateningly is what stops them.

I'd love to hear how ou do with this. I have clickers but haven't done much work with my cats yet. Its a bit of a pain because they want you to train 1 at a time but I can't easily separate them.

Training cats???? :lolots:

Cats train us, not the other way around

When people ask how many cats I have I gently correct them.........I don't own cats---they own me.

Training cats???? :lolots:

Cats train us, not the other way around

When people ask how many cats I have I gently correct them.........I don't own cats---they own me.

Lol yeh it sound amusing because cats are notorious for being stubborn..

BUT...

Like someone else said TV cats are trained to do stuff and other people have got there cats to do stuff so its definately possible. Now it might not be possible to get them to do everything, they might decide they dont like sitting but would rather hi five or something.

If nothing else its a way to get involved with my cats :smile:

I'd love to hear how ou do with this. I have clickers but haven't done much work with my cats yet. Its a bit of a pain because they want you to train 1 at a time but I can't easily separate them.

Yeh I have a similar problem, when I shut Elsa out she meows and acts like shes been abandoned. Elise isnt too much of a pain when I shut her out.

Ok so tonight i have got elise responding well to sit and elsa responding well to up and down,mostly when a treat is involved but sometimes not. Its a challenge getting elsa to sit and elise to jump.

One word from me ...and they do exactly what they like :Push:

seriously, I try a similar method of command to your name > click > treat and they are pretty good but I think my training leaves a lot to be desired.