At what age is it allowed to get a driving license???

venetiakim

wants to travel away
Oct 9, 2006
OK this may sound weird by the title...
I browsed another thread and a member posted that it was legal to start driving at the age of 14-15?

At what age is it legal in your country?For us it's 18 that's why I'm confused...

provisional license and take lessons whilst 16.
You cannot start to drive a car until your provisional driving licence has been accepted and in your possession. If you are in receipt of the higher rate of disability, you can start to learn how to drive when you reach your 16th Birthday otherwise you will have to wait until your 17th Birthday. <that's odd, what does it mean "in receipt of higher rate disability"?

i think it means if you fall under a specific category of the DDA you will get higher financial support. so they probably assume that you will have more severe problems, therefore need a car more urgently.

Here in Fla, you can get a learner's permit at 15. That will allow you to "learn" while a licensed driver, over the age of 18, is in the car with you. Once you've had your learner's permit for a year and you're over 16 years old, then you can apply for your operators license, which will allow you to operate a vehicle alone.

16 in Canada. But we now have "graduated" licencing... which I don't totally understand b/c it never applied to me when I got my licence. I think it's something like you have to drive w/ an older driver for the first year, and you're not allowed to drive after dark until you've been licenced for a year or more...

Here in Fla, you can get a learner's permit at 15. That will allow you to "learn" while a licensed driver, over the age of 18, is in the car with you. Once you've had your learner's permit for a year and you're over 16 years old, then you can apply for your operators license, which will allow you to operate a vehicle alone.

It was the same in Illinois. :yes:

Also... you can drive on private property w/o a learner's permit, so some people could be practicing before age 15.

i used to practice driving at the age 10, but that was private property. i started learning to drive at 10, and i've known how to drive (learned in a huge red rusty pickup yay chevy) since i was about 11 or 12. practice practice on private property. i got my permit when i was 16 and my lisence when i was 17.