At the end of my rope :(

My 2yo and 1.5yo still pee in the house if I don't watch them. we have to block off rooms because they will go in there even though there is a potty pad and backyard door is open. The key for me is taking them out every hour and giving them lots of treats and praise when they do go pee outside. Other than that you might want to try a belly band. That worked for me when my little one started lifting his leg on everything.

What kind of exercise does your dog get? Sometimes if they don't get enough exercise they become fussy and channel that energy into chewing stuff or being loud.

I also agree w/ everything rainedrop said. I think you should keep him crated and gradually give him more freedom as he does better w/ his potty training.

Routine is my best advice. Up early, go for walk, praise w/ potty break. But this is a walk and not just out to BR.

In the house, eat, play. crate. Out again for 20 minute walk, praise w/ BR. Repeat above. Up once during the night, if need be depending on how long since he was out. I guarantee you this will work, if done consistently.

Have had 6 dogs and raised two puppies for the Blind Society. After one week if things going well, can come out of crate for good, but need to keep up the routine

That's why they say, dogs are creatures of habit. And so far, you've haven't done anything that he's responding to change his habits.

Let us know how things progress, and good luck.

my friend and her husband have one and i know when they first got him, it took them quite awhile to get him fully potty trained. lots of hard work and getting up during the night. luckily her husband wasn't working a full time job at the time and was working in retail so his schedule was pretty all over the place but he was usually home when she wasn't.

i do know that they ALWAYS give him a treat when he goes outside. If he doesn't go, then no treat. Their daschund is 4 years old i think and they still do this. and i think they would walk him almost everyday.

their daschund also does a 'potty dance' when he needs to go really bad. He runs around in circles really fast - it's kinda funny. but that's something to look for, perhaps your's is giving you some sort of sign that he's about ready to go and you can catch on to that.

I don't have any advice to offer but my DD had a daschund for a week (gave back to owner) and she had issues w/training...we then read that daschunds are quite strong-willed and difficult to train...good luck...I hope you find what will work for you. They are just adorable dogs!

OK, ladies, it's been a week and he holds his pee because I give him real bacon pieces (tiny, tiny ones, not strips) as a reward. Now, he waits until 7:30 in the morning with no accidents and then pees like crazy in the yard - usually he only makes it as far as the sidewalk, but that's simple to hose down and he IS trying. He watches me to make sure I am watching him and then I praise him like a lunatic and he runs to the fridge for his bacon. One thing that was a major change was that we stopped crating him. He now sleeps exclusively on his doggy sofa. He hated that crate. I still have a gate up between the kitchen and the living areas and he is allowed in the living area only if we are there to monitor him. In one week he has had 1 accident and I blame my husband for not responding to him quickly enough. Oh, I also make sure to leave the mini blinds on the back door down, so he jumps up and "clangs" them to let us know he wants out. When we get some funds together we are getting a storm door and will install a dog door at the bottom so he can have access during the day without us needing to open the door constantly, or without us having to leave the door open for 10 minutes at a time in this Texas heat.

Dachshunds: so cute, but a complete P.I.T.A.

I've been following this but didn't post because I'm terrible at house-training puppies. Honestly it was one of the reasons we decided to adopt older dogs from rescue.

Good for you, adapting his environment to help it along. It sounds like he is getting the concept. Some breeds are more stubborn than others (Boxers, for one) and obviously Doxies have a mind of their own.

Congratulations on your progress so far and good luck in the future!

I have a doxie too, about 6 months, he poops almost every time he comes back into the house from being taken outside. He will not go outside if the grass is wet, or cold, or if anything is going on to distract him (cars driving, kids playing, etc), he also will not potty while going for walks. He will, however, wake me everyday at 7 a.m. to be taken outside, thats the only time, and he gets treats and praise. I don't get it, maybe the breed is stubborn... he is well mannered, nice to people and other animals, he will also do lots of tricks, but cannot get this potty thing down.
My mom has a doxie too, she rescued it a few years old, it was real mean, and had never been outside in her life. My mom successfully potty trained her by putting bells on the door low enough for her to ring with her nose. Now the dog has a great way of communicating when its time and doesn't miss a beat! I have yet to try this, but I sure will asap and I will let you know the results!

OK, ladies, it's been a week and he holds his pee because I give him real bacon pieces (tiny, tiny ones, not strips) as a reward. Now, he waits until 7:30 in the morning with no accidents and then pees like crazy in the yard - usually he only makes it as far as the sidewalk, but that's simple to hose down and he IS trying. He watches me to make sure I am watching him and then I praise him like a lunatic and he runs to the fridge for his bacon. One thing that was a major change was that we stopped crating him. He now sleeps exclusively on his doggy sofa. He hated that crate. I still have a gate up between the kitchen and the living areas and he is allowed in the living area only if we are there to monitor him. In one week he has had 1 accident and I blame my husband for not responding to him quickly enough. Oh, I also make sure to leave the mini blinds on the back door down, so he jumps up and "clangs" them to let us know he wants out. When we get some funds together we are getting a storm door and will install a dog door at the bottom so he can have access during the day without us needing to open the door constantly, or without us having to leave the door open for 10 minutes at a time in this Texas heat.

I'm so glad it's working out for you! :yahoo: It sounds like night and day reading this post now and your original one.

congrats! ur being a good mommy and its really paying off for you. best of luck! my bf's family had a doxie, and although he was super stubborn in the training part of it, once he got it, he got it and never had any accidents.

I have a 9 y/o JRT...I've posted about him before. Firstly, he nips...secondly, he pees. Marks his territory in my livingroom. He has 7 1/2 acres to roam, SAME shedule every day, constantly outside. He's sneaky, so I can never catch him. The little bastard has driven us crazy for 9 years. We have tried trainers to no avail. I've given up...just have all the furniture/rugs professionally cleaned twice a year. LOL!