Assuage me please - did I pick a good size kelly bag?

stephanie1

Aug 13, 2006
I am pondering the size of my new kelly bag. Its a 32cm. I wasnt having much luck turning up a 28 in gold and have been waiting a long time, so when I found the 32, I bought it. My husband, whose taste I trust more than my own, loves this size (he loves the bag) and feels it looks great on me (I am 5'7", 105 lbs). I do have to say, it does look very modern. While it is certainly convenient (you can definitely put all your gear in it), I still question whether I should have held out for a 28. Does anyone have both sizes and can you make a comparison, or have an opinion about the size question? Frankly I had the same hesitation with the 31 cm bolide that I recently bought (I thought I would prefer a 27) but after a couple weeks I was so glad I had gone with the larger one.

This is strictly my own opinion but I'm a fan of sellier 28cm. I'm 5 ft 8 in and for the longest time I weigh around 115 lb. Retourne (souple) 28cm looks small on me, while sellier (rigide) 28cm look just right. Retourne (souple) 32cm also works fine on me whereas sellier (rigide) 32cm looks boxy on me. Nonetheless, I prefer to pick rigide 28cm over souple 32cm because I prefer a dressier looking bag. However, this is purely personal preference as many people pull off souple 32cm beautifully.:yes: Congratulations on your new acquisition. Kelly is definitely my favorite H bag~

As for Bolide, I'm definitely for Bolide 31cm all the way. It's the right size for Bolide (ideally it'd be nice if they have Bolide in 29cm). I feel that 27cm is definitely too small for my height and 31cm looks just right (the dome shape makes it look smaller than it really is). I think you made the right choice in getting the 31cm Bolide.

^ Steph, I prefer the 32cm in Retourne Kellys. I just like the proportions better and I'm four inches shorter than you. I've tried on both 28c, and 32cm and the 32cm is for me in retourne. But in sellier, I love the 28cm and the 32cm seems too large on me.
PLEASE post a pic!! We'd love to see you modeling it. I'm sure it's gorgeous.

Also, regarding the Bolide, I think you made the right choice. The 27cm is darling but I think of it more of a party/evening/event bag than an everyday bag. Especially for someone of your height.

I debated for the longest time between the 28cm and 32cm (I am 5-2) in retourne. I decided to go with the 32cm and am glad that I did in this combination (togo/retourne). It's a great everyday bag. I think the 28cm would have been too small to use as an everyday bag for me. I am also going to get a smaller Kelly, 28/25 cm box at some stage.....

I like both. I'm 5'6" and have a sellier 32cm Kelly. I find it works on me. Having said that my next Kelly will be a 28 sellier, but only because I like a little variety in my collection, and I feel at my height, both sizes work well.

stephanie do you have a pic of yourself carrying the bag?
grace kelly carried kelly bags that were definitely on the larger side. yet ironically, "modern" is the perfect word to describe how a bigger bag looks. smaller can be more ladylike/formal/conservative. how would you describe your style?

stephanie do you have a pic of yourself carrying the bag?
grace kelly carried kelly bags that were definitely on the larger side. yet ironically, "modern" is the perfect word to describe how a bigger bag looks. smaller can be more ladylike/formal/conservative. how would you describe your style?

I really appreciate you guys weighing in....HiHeels, I would describe my style as more modern, minimalist and informal - My hair is short, I wear a lot of JilSander to work, and on weekends, I tend to wear jeans (JBrand suits me well) and layered tanks or tshirts. I have a feeling that my husband liked the larger, retourne kelly bag on me because, while elegant, it seems less formalistic. ....I do have to say, I really like the bag, I always go through this self doubt after a big orange box comes home with me....when I got my gold togo birkin several years ago, at first I wasnt sure if I liked the color (go figure!) and a few days later it hit me that the color was what I loved about it. (Its still my favorite bag)
When I get back home I will take pictures and try to post.

I have a 32 in souple in the kelly and love it! It's not too big - the 32 rigid feels larger...I also had a 28 rigid and it was too small - not sure how a 28 in souple would have felt - but overall I love the 32! ANd you're taller lol!

Stephanie, you're the only one who can determine if the bags you choose are the right size, I feel.

And, it's hard to know if your size Kelly is going to "work" for you until you use it. So, I would say wear it, and enjoy it. I am almost 5'5" and have both the 28 and 32 Kellys in Retourne. I feel the 28 is a little on the small side and the 32 just a little large, but, of the two, I prefer the 32, although my 32s are heavier than my 28's.

And like your husband, mine really likes the Kelly style on me:smile:

I think the 32 is the perfect Kelly size. The 28 would work more as an evening bag, I think. And the Bolide would be best in a 31. And yes, you're taller than me, too!

I think you should listen to you husband. He loves the bag on you. He sees the total picture when he looks at you and he has great taste. No need to second guess yourself on this. Gold in a retourne Kelly 32cm is an everyday bag that is perfect for simple tailored clothes that don't "wear you" and aren't fussy. When the day comes that you want a dressier bag, get a 28cm sellier. You can still wear it with your look. I dress the same way and I wear all of the above. I'm sure you look great!