Aspinal of London vs. Smythson of Bond St.

blackpearl

May 24, 2008
Can anybody compare these two for me? Is Smythson so much better than Aspinal :confused1: as the price difference would suggest. I am thinking of treating myself to a travel wallet and/or passport cover.

I could not commit to any one wallet during Smythson Christmas sale so missed it and am a bit more than reluctant to pay full price of 250-350 pounds. I could settle on a passport cover or for about the same amount of money get passport cover and travel wallet (plus two travel tags) from Aspinal. I even found a 10% off code for Aspinal. Travel wallet for me and passport cover for my DS

http://www.aspinaloflondon.com/esho...travel-collection-in-aqua-jewel-calf-and-lime

A friend of mine is going to London next week and could bring it back for me :wlae:.

I have never owned anything by Smythson but am familiar with both brands. At Christmas I bought a cute little Aspinal 'horse-shoe' coin purse for my son, in Cognac colour. It was very high-quality, if a litle small.

I've only ever had writing paper and envelopes from Smythson and have never bought leather goods from them before. I've a feeling they're regarded as being the more prestigious of the two and think there was a run on one of their handbags a year or two ago?:shrugs:

ETA : Yep, just googled it, it was the 'Nancy' bag apparently, and there was a bit of flutter over the 'Maze' bag too.

Last edited:
Can anybody compare these two for me? Is Smythson so much better than Aspinal :confused1: as the price difference would suggest. I am thinking of treating myself to a travel wallet and/or passport cover.

I could not commit to any one wallet during Smythson Christmas sale so missed it and am a bit more than reluctant to pay full price of 250-350 pounds. I could settle on a passport cover or for about the same amount of money get passport cover and travel wallet (plus two travel tags) from Aspinal. I even found a 10% off code for Aspinal. Travel wallet for me and passport cover for my DS

A friend of mine is going to London next week and could bring it back for me :wlae:.

Well over here, Aspinal are sold in select boutiques. They also have a shop in Selfriges. They ship to the US through thier website.

Last edited:
I've got the travel wallet/passport cover/luggage tags from Aspinal and the quality is excellent. I can't speak for Smythsons travel products but I have one of their bags and it too is excellent. I think Smythsons is definitely regarded as being one of the most prestigious shops and Aspinall's isn't quite up there but personally, there is very little difference in quality.

Actually, looking on this thread was the first time I came across the Aspinal brand, but boy am I happy you inspired me, blackpearl! I was looking at the bags, and I really like the barbarella in black or purple patent! I think I might get it.

On the other hand, I also looked through the Smythson online store, and have visited their store a number of times. I have to say, I'm not very impressed. It's all very proper and traditional, which I like, but then I would also want it to have a bit of a twist, like Aspinal. Aspinal all the way, and thanks for introducing me to this fabulous brand!

I was looking at the bags, and I really like the barbarella in black or purple patent! I think I might get it.

Aspinal all the way, and thanks for introducing me to this fabulous brand!

You are welcome, Vikzenne!

If you do buy something from Aspinal website, be sure to take advantage of the 10% off code ASPAF1. HTH!

I've got the travel wallet/passport cover/luggage tags from Aspinal and the quality is excellent. I can't speak for Smythsons travel products but I have one of their bags and it too is excellent. I think Smythsons is definitely regarded as being one of the most prestigious shops and Aspinall's isn't quite up there but personally, there is very little difference in quality.

This is precisely what I was looking for! Thank you, coco13 :tup:. I knew that Smythson was more reputable. I've seen them mentioned in fashion glossies a number of times and have only heard about Aspinal from my friend from London. What I did not know is whether Aspinal products were of good quality or not. Of course, I would expect Smythson products to be of even better quality, they are priced 3x as much. If as you say the quality difference is rather small, I'd rather go with Aspinal. Love their color selection :yes:.

Last edited:
^The colours are fabulous, I have the purple with red suede lining and it really is TDF. Going through customs people often comment on it. If you get it post pictures and let us see what you got. X

I do have some Aspinal accessories - thier accessories vanity case in particular is my faviourite, and it is so ridgid and robust, I could throw it at a wall 1000 times and it not fall apart. I understand what people say by thier high prices as they are a new brand, but it is all about giving them a chance. If you are just dipping your toe in, go for a luggage tag or the patent heart purse.

The local Smythson boutique is offering 20% off both the Nancy and the Maze bags. The SA said it was the first time EVER. I bought a purple Nancy with lizard trim. Gorgeous. I love the unique clasp.

Actually, looking on this thread was the first time I came across the Aspinal brand, but boy am I happy you inspired me, blackpearl! I was looking at the bags, and I really like the barbarella in black or purple patent! I think I might get it.

On the other hand, I also looked through the Smythson online store, and have visited their store a number of times. I have to say, I'm not very impressed. It's all very proper and traditional, which I like, but then I would also want it to have a bit of a twist, like Aspinal. Aspinal all the way, and thanks for introducing me to this fabulous brand!

Hi Vikzenne

Noted that you were interested in getting the barbarella bag?

Did you get it?

Was it durable & did the gold clasp remain in place after frequent use?

I was going thru someone's blog & one comment about Aspinal handbags was that the gold clasp would drop off after a time & the zips would spoil. That person also made a comment about Aspinal handbags being made in Turkey.

I do not know of anyone who has bought an Aspinal handbag, so if you have, could you give your review about your barbarella bag?

I am tempted to buy the handbags but I will want to wait till the post Xmas sale probably on 26 Dec 09. Britain is not doing too well on the economic front so retail could be getting the brunt of it. Hoping to get bigger discounts from Aspinal if that happens. Am interested in the golden snakeskin Mariya bags.

If anyone else has bought an Aspinal handbag, please feedback too. Not referring to wallets or travel bags, only handbags.

Thanks.

Over here Smythson is considered posher but I think that's just because their bags are more £££ and the 'leader of the opposition's' (CONSERVATIVE PARTY) wife carries Smythson bags (she works for the company) - the couple are the example of what it is to be extremely English 'posh'. Her involvement means carrying a Maze etc can be seen as political by a few.

Aspinal are as good IMHO- I'm thinking of buying some luggage though not handbags.