asking for chanel serial number

Aug 9, 2006
is there another reason why someone on ebay might ask for the serial number of a chanel? i'm assuming 99% of the time it would be to authenticate an item. i have a buyer who is asking for serial number and looking at their past transactions, i would never think that they would be interested in a chanel... have you experienced someone 'stealing' your serial number of a chanel? thanks!

TheNordstrom Anniversary Saleis NOW open to ICON card members.Click or tap to shop the Nordstrom sale!
P.S. Don't forget to join the activeNAS 2020 thread.

acrowcounted

Uh oh...
O.G.
Feb 10, 2007
I believe that the serial number tells you the year that the bag was manufactured. I also believe that there are differences in similar bags depending on the year of manufacture. Your buyer could be wanting to know how recently the bag was made and/or qualities specific to date of creation. (For example, black lamb skins of certain years have a maroon lining vs a black lining in other years. Obviously your pictures would show this type of detail but I believe there are other manufacturing differences by date.)

*schmoo*

Jul 27, 2008
If you don't have a photo listed of the serial #, I would be asking you for a photo of it for authentication, not just the numbers.

Ed. but many listings display the serial # so I doubt she's trying to use it for ill gotten gains