Asking about 22kt gold...

Immi

Aug 7, 2009
This might sound stupid, but...
Recently a relative gave me a 22kt gold bracelet. It's lovely, so I don't like the idea of putting it in my jewellery box and getting it out only a few days a year for special occasions. But I heard that 22/24kt gold is less durable than 18kt, and I don't want to damage it. Do any of you ladies have jewellery like this that you wear often/every day? It's not a bangle, it's made of chain links. I don't know if I should keep it for special occasions or wear it whenever I want to. If you think I'm going to end up ruining my bracelet please tell me! :smile:
Thank you in advance for your replies.

^ Thanks! People where I live seem to wear 14-19kt mostly. I guess that should give me a hint... I don't want to ruin it but also don't want it to stay in its box for months on end. :biggrin:

I love gold jewellery and I wear only 24kt, everyday. It shows scratches easier therefore I have to polish more often, but the shine, the tone and the temperature (feels warmer) is worth to take care a bit more.

Its very common for middle eastern and asian women to wear 22 or 24 kt gold on a regular basis. It holds up really well, I've had pieces that I've worn for years and they are just fine. Even if there is damage, its fairly easy and cheap to get it fixed. Wear it and enjoy it :smile:

Thanks ladolcevita. That's really interesting. It's not common at all where I live- although people wear gold often, it's a lower kt so the colour is different. I love the colour of 22/24kt. The clasps on this jewellery seem to be different too, it's a hook closure that you have to bend to open and close, I'm concerned about that too, but I'm just going to do as you said and enjoy it. :biggrin:

22 karat gold contains 91.7% gold. Lesser the karat of gold, more is it alloyed with other metal.

This is the reason behind lesser karat gold being more durable and stronger than the higher ones. And lesser karat gold also tarnish quickly and also cause allergic reactions to the skin.