Ask Charles!

Ya know, I don't mean to be a drag, and I've met Charles and think he's great, so it's not about him. But we have a forum of 200,000 women here from a plethora of backgrounds and with an enormous amount of knowledge and expertise in a vast array of different topics, including those that aren't traditionally female-centric. In fact, the beauty of a board like this is the ability to get a variety of feedback. So I hope that no one here thinks Charles' maleness gives him some kind of magical ability to answer questions more accurately than some of the incredibly smart, savvy women we have here.

I know this is in good fun, and I don't want to be a party pooper, but I'm not really comfortable with assumptions that underpin this sort of stuff. There's nothing inherently deficient in being a female that means we can't be knowledgeable about cars or lawn care.

Again, no offense to Charles and no offense to Bagnshoo for starting the thread, but it makes me uncomfortable and I wouldn't feel right not saying something.

Totally understood, and I don't think anyone feels that way...at least I don't. It's all in fun and interesting to boot...no chauvinism required, male or female!!;)

Charles, do you use shaving cream when you shave? My husband recently shaved off the mustache he has had for almost 20 years and before this, he never used shaving cream. He would just shave in the shower after getting his face all hot and steamy. He always said there was no need for shaving cream but now that he shaved off the mustache and needs to be more clean shaven, i think he should use it. Do you use shaving cream and do you think it is necessary?

Last edited:
Who is that in your signature picture?

Wondered this for forever, haha. I love his glasses!

Wha??

You don't know who he is?? Shameful!
That is the late, great Harry Caray. He was the color man for the Chicago Cubs, one of the all time greatest baseball teams EVER, and one of the greatest men of all time!! I'm pretty sure he was drunk for ever game he announced.

wow, this could be the start of a big thread.

charles, which car wax do you use lol

Currently, I use Meguiars. Not sure on the specific formula as it came with their clay bar I bought. If you want some good stuff, check out Detailers Domain or Griots Garage. Car detailing is a religion to some people. It's crazy!

Charles, do you use shaving cream when you shave? My husband recently shaved off the mustache he has had for almost 20 years and before this, he never used shaving cream. He would just shave in the shower after getting his face all hot and steamy. He always said there was no need for shaving cream but now that he shaved off the mustache and needs to be more clean shaven, i think he should use it. Do you use shaving cream and do you think it is necessary?

It depends. If he has soft facial hair and resilient skin, then it probably won't matter too much. Also, the steam from the shower helps. However, in the long run, I'd try to get him to use it as it can only help as far as moisturizing the skin. I really like C.O. Bigelow's cream. I think you can get it at Bath and Body Works now....comes in a green metal tube. I have rather coarse hair and need something thick. Gels don't work for me and the Bigelow stuff really coats the hair and cools my face. It also stays on my face a bit after each stroke, so when I'm done, I don't have to use any more when I do a final once over to make sure I didn't miss any spots.

How does it feel to have 200,000 women hang on your every word with nearly religious zeal? I used to post on some very male-centric forums and they were positively vile to most of the females most of the time (TITS OR GTFO HURR HURR), it's interesting that the opposite situation gets such a response.

(Before anyone gets butthurt, I am aware that the thread is all in good fun - it's something I have been curious about for a very long time.)

Do they squeal when you first brake...after the car's been sitting for a bit? It could be rust, but I know we get a lot of rain down south and I've seen rust on my rotors, but have never really heard any squealing. Also, why would it be the rears only? Also, make sure that the rear parking brake is fully disengaged. It might be something like that.

Nope, they start squealing after I hit maybe 50mph, sometimes it keeps squealing for miles, sometimes it stops and starts, and sometimes it won't make noise for a couple days and then start doing it again. The first time it happened about a month ago, I was listening to the radio pretty loud, and I could have sworn it was part of the song. It sounds like a very high pitched note, almost a whistling or singing, one pitch sustained, and it's very loud. My client-pseudo-mechanic surmised that it could be some sensor vibrating against the rotor. Whatever that means. He was riding in the car with me for a hearing a couple hours away, so he had lots of time to hear and attempt to diagnose it!

And I know it's not the emergency brake. Because I kind of did that one time (different car), and something started smoking! So I'm very conscious of the emergency brake. I'm going to get it checked out of course (as soon as I have 5 spare hours to sit there and wait), but I wanted some info before I go, because I am so suspicious of mechanics! I understand nothing about what they're doing, so I have no idea whether I'm being scammed or overcharged.

How does it feel to have 200,000 women hang on your every word with nearly religious zeal? I used to post on some very male-centric forums and they were positively vile to most of the females most of the time (TITS OR GTFO HURR HURR), it's interesting that the opposite situation gets such a response.

Evidently you've not seen some of the responses I get in the Relationship forums ;)

Nope, they start squealing after I hit maybe 50mph, sometimes it keeps squealing for miles, sometimes it stops and starts, and sometimes it won't make noise for a couple days and then start doing it again. The first time it happened about a month ago, I was listening to the radio pretty loud, and I could have sworn it was part of the song. It sounds like a very high pitched note, almost a whistling or singing, one pitch sustained, and it's very loud. My client-pseudo-mechanic surmised that it could be some sensor vibrating against the rotor. Whatever that means. He was riding in the car with me for a hearing a couple hours away, so he had lots of time to hear and attempt to diagnose it!

And I know it's not the emergency brake. Because I kind of did that one time (different car), and something started smoking! So I'm very conscious of the emergency brake. I'm going to get it checked out of course (as soon as I have 5 spare hours to sit there and wait), but I wanted some info before I go, because I am so suspicious of mechanics! I understand nothing about what they're doing, so I have no idea whether I'm being scammed or overcharged.

Well, if you only have 9K miles on it...isn't it covered under warranty? Take it in and have them fix it. But yeah, from what you say, it doesn't sound like rust is the problem, as it would more than likely only happen when you first start driving the car then stop after the rust was worn off. It could be something as simple as a loose pad retaining clip. I can't really tell without hearing it or taking a look.

(Before anyone gets butthurt, I am aware that the thread is all in good fun - it's something I have been curious about for a very long time.)

:lol: I wouldn't call it religious zeal at all! The guy knows some stuff. My daddy is gone now and my DH pretty much only knows music so its nice to have a "big brother" of sorts to answer some questions I would have normally asked my dad. I feel the same about dbtbandit and PrinceAbdullah. Love having the guys here. Its nice. (but I was and still am a tomboy so maybe that helps the equation...)

I'm the one with the car (van) that wants to stall after starting. It is a 2001 Ford Windstar (a grocery-getter), so I am guessing it is not old enough to have the carbeurator issues. And it doesn't seem to depend on the temperature outside or in the engine, as it tends to be a little slow each time it is started, but then it seems fine once it has been driven even just a couple of miles.

This morning, it even hesitated (VERY slightly, just barely enough to notice the difference) to start, but once it was running and I drove about 3 miles, it idled fine. I got to school, left the engine running, put it in park and got the kids out of the vehicle to go to summer school and it never coughed or hesitated or threatened to stall. So it only happens when I first start it.

We're in the market for a new vehicle, but I'd rather wait and get one I WANT instead of being forced into it because my current one died! So if I can keep it running for a few more months it would be great.

Charles, my hubby used to ride motorcycles when he was young (I used to ride with him, but after we got older and started having baby after baby, he forsook them and we never thought about them again, or so I THOUGHT!!! Well, for the
past few years (when he turned about 44 or so 6+ years ago), he's recently got into them again. He built an awesome KZ900 and loved it. I HATED it, because he spent so darn much money on it, but more than that, I HATED it, because I'm SCARED he was gonna get killed. He sold it in 2007 and bought a 2007 Triumph Cafe Racer (After my STUPID AZZ encouraged him to get a newer bike because he was all pouty and missed his KZ900 and was madly in love with it. He's rebuilt it and put all kinds of stuff on it (a Slippery Sam and lots of other stuff). He's added all kinds of expensive doo-dads and it
looks super sharp, and he says it's just a hobby and he rides safe and it's not a superbike, yada yada yada....
Here's the problem. I HATE HIM RIDING A MOTORCYCLE--I'M SCARED HE'S GONNA GET KILLED ON IT!!!! He's been riding for YEARS and YEARS. When he restarted his motorcylce addiction, I mean hobby, he took a riding course and ace both parts of the test. My fear is NOT him riding like a manaic, but someone accidently killing him.

What can I do to get him to forsake this expensive and SCARY "hobby"?????? Nothing I've tried works, he says he's NOT selling it and not to worry. We're an older couple with very young kids and I HATE him riding--I think we have way to much to lose in the name of fun, feeling young again and hobby and all that other BS!

I can't WAIT to hear your reply!

Last edited:
I'm the one with the car (van) that wants to stall after starting. It is a 2001 Ford Windstar (a grocery-getter), so I am guessing it is not old enough to have the carbeurator issues. And it doesn't seem to depend on the temperature outside or in the engine, as it tends to be a little slow each time it is started, but then it seems fine once it has been driven even just a couple of miles.

This morning, it even hesitated (VERY slightly, just barely enough to notice the difference) to start, but once it was running and I drove about 3 miles, it idled fine. I got to school, left the engine running, put it in park and got the kids out of the vehicle to go to summer school and it never coughed or hesitated or threatened to stall. So it only happens when I first start it.

We're in the market for a new vehicle, but I'd rather wait and get one I WANT instead of being forced into it because my current one died! So if I can keep it running for a few more months it would be great.

The thing with cars it that the majority of the time, it can be lots of stuff, so I could be completely off when I suggest something...just sayin.

For yours...if it's just on warm up it could be something like a secondary air injection pump being faulty. Typically, the pump is used upon initial start up to help the catalytic converter to warm up to proper operating temps faster. Usually, on cold starts, your car should idle a bit higher. Once it's warmed up a bit, the idle will fall back to the regular 700-900 rpms. Did it used to do that?
It could be a MAF (mass air flow meter) issue too. There are different fuel/timing maps when the car is cold and the MAF might be sending incorrect data.
Try this...do you have a Pep Boys or AutoZone in the area? I'm pretty sure they pull ECU codes for free. Check and see if you're throwing codes and report back.

Charles, my hubby used to ride motorcycles when he was young (I used to ride with him, but after we got older and started having baby after baby, he forsook them and we never thought about them again, or so I THOUGHT!!! Well, for the
past few years (when he turned about 44 or so 6+ years ago), he's recently got into them again. He built an awesome KZ900 and loved it. I HATED it, because he spent so darn much money on it, but more than that, I HATED it, because I'm SCARED he was gonna get killed. He sold it in 2007 and bought a 2007 Triumph Cafe Racer (After my STUPID AZZ encouraged him to get a newer bike because he was all pouty and missed his KZ900 and was madly in love with it. He's rebuilt it and put all kinds of stuff on it (a Slippery Sam and lots of other stuff). He's added all kinds of expensive doo-dads and it
looks super sharp, and he says it's just a hobby and he rides safe and it's not a superbike, yada yada yada....
Here's the problem. I HATE HIM RIDING A MOTORCYCLE--I'M SCARED HE'S GONNA GET KILLED ON IT!!!! He's been riding for YEARS and YEARS. When he restarted his motorcylce addiction, I mean hobby, he took a riding course and ace both parts of the test. My fear is NOT him riding like a manaic, but someone accidently killing him.

What can I do to get him to forsake this expensive and SCARY "hobby"?????? Nothing I've tried works, he says he's NOT selling it and not to worry. We're an older couple with very young kids and I HATE him riding--I think we have way to much to lose in the name of fun, feeling young again and hobby and all that other BS!

I can't WAIT to hear your reply!

Well, considering I'm currently in the process of building a hardtail Harley Sportster, you might be asking the wrong guy.
Motorcycles are a way of life...a lifestyle for some people. It's in their blood, and it sounds like that's the case with your husband. If so, there's really not much you can do. If it makes you feel better, typically, most injuries are from crotch rockets with younger jack a$$ riders, not more mature men who take precautions by anticipating the actions of other drivers. Basically, it's like this. Most accidents are from two reasons: Dumb a$$es zipping in and out of traffic, doing high speed, and highly dangerous things. Or, "normal" riders who get hit by other drivers not paying attention. It seems he's not in the first group, and as long as he's proactively riding and expecting cars to not see him, he should be fine. Most of the time, you'll be able to tell when someone doesn't see you and you act accordingly. Of course, there are exceptions, but there are exceptions to everything in life, and something could happen to him while working on the house. I'd say just try your best to be supportive. There's probably nothing you can say that will get him out of the saddle.

If it makes you feel better, I have a son and a gf, and I wouldn't give up riding for them...I'd rather die riding then die of a heart attack. Ya know?

Last edited:
Well, considering I'm currently in the process of building a hardtail Harley Sportster, you might be asking the wrong guy.
Motorcycles are a way of life...a lifestyle for some people. It's in their blood, and it sounds like that's the case with your husband. If so, there's really not much you can do. If it makes you feel better, typically, most injuries are from crotch rockets with younger jack a$$ riders, not more mature men who take precautions by anticipating the actions of other drivers. Basically, it's like this. Most accidents are from two reasons: Dumb a$$es zipping in and out of traffic, doing high speed, and highly dangerous things. Or, "normal" riders who get hit by other drivers not paying attention. It seems he's not in the first group, and as long as he's proactively riding and expecting cars to not see him, he should be fine. Most of the time, you'll be able to tell when someone doesn't see you and you act accordingly. Of course, there are exceptions, but there are exceptions to everything in life, and something could happen to him while working on the house. I'd say just try your best to be supportive. There's probably nothing you can say that will get him out of the saddle.

If it makes you feel better, I have a son and a gf, and I wouldn't give up riding for them...I'd rather die riding then die of a heart attack. Ya know?

Hey Charles Muchas Gracias for your reply! I think my hubby would rather die riding or something "adventurous" like that than a heart attack too. I hope you're having fun building your Harley Hardtail and when it's done (or if you have another bike), RIDE SAFE. (That what the motorcycle dudes and gals always say to each other :supacool:

Last edited: