Ask Charles!

Sure, but not typically on newer cars. Tell me about the car. Has anything recently happened to the car? Are you sure it was a backfire? has it happened a lot?

its a much older Isuzu SUV I have been begging my husband to get rid of. Its only happened this one time and I wasn't sure if it was our car or one passing by but it sure sounded close! It was recently serviced too.

What do you mean you can't login? What error does it give you, or does it just keep going to the login page after you attempt to login? What kind of browser? Did you set it to allow cookies?

it says my password is incorrect! but when I log in using my Mac no problem...on both systems I use Firefox. Both systems allow cookies too....I do have AVG virus protection on the PC - maybe I need to change settings in there?

i'm not charles, but i'm the poor-man's charles.

I'm not any better than anyone here...including you. Feel free to help out. I know a little about a lot of things, so I def don't have extensive, specific knowledge about every topic. I'm sure there are things that you could talk about that would have my head spinning.

I think this is a cool thread, sometimes you just need a man's perspective on things. personally, I knew the answer to all the car questions, but, there are things i would like to ask a man's point of view on, i don't see anything wrong with this thread!

OK, Charles, here's one for you, when in a mens locker room, do you ever sneak a oeek at the guy next to you just to see how you measure up?

Honestly, no, and not cause I'm trying to be all manly and say guys are gross and checking out another guy's package is gay, etc. I just don't want to make anyone else, nor me, feel awkward, so for me, the easiest way to avoid that is to keep the eyes forward and eye level. ;)
Besides, I've seen stats on the average lengths of male penises and know where I stand.

What is the best (and cheapest) spyware/adware program???
I like Adaware by Lavasoft (free) & Spybot search n destroy (free).

What she said. However, I don't use either, or any spyware program. I use Firefox as my browser, and it pretty much informs me anytime something is trying to be installed from a webpage. I think both AVG and Avast virus programs offer a spyware protection too. Both are free.

what would you do if someone bought you a Mac?

Well, I'd hope that anyone that's willing to drop at least 1K on me would know me well enough. However, if I won it or my mom got it for me, I'd tell the truth. I appreciate the gift, but I'd rather use a PC. Then we could spend some quality time shopping for a PC replacement and with the extra cash I'd save, we could hit up Mortons or Ruth's Chris. :smile:

its a much older Isuzu SUV I have been begging my husband to get rid of. Its only happened this one time and I wasn't sure if it was our car or one passing by but it sure sounded close! It was recently serviced too.

A Trooper? I think all their other models are EFI. For now, I'd just be aware of how the SUV is running. If it seems ok, don't worry about it. If it happens again, let me know.

it says my password is incorrect! but when I log in using my Mac no problem...on both systems I use Firefox. Both systems allow cookies too....I do have AVG virus protection on the PC - maybe I need to change settings in there?

Do you store your passwords in Firefox? Maybe it's overwriting it somehow. There's an option to erase all passwords in FF. It's in the FF Options>Security tab. Try that.

Last edited:
A Trooper? I think all their other models are EFI. For now, I'd just be aware of how the SUV is running. If it seems ok, don't worry about it. If it happens again, let me know.

yup its a Trooper. he's been eyeing the Volvo XC90s (a 2006 in particular - he refuses to buy a brand new car - tight as a drum Scotsman) so I'm trying to get him to let go of the Troop.

Do you store your passwords in Firefox? Maybe it's overwriting it somehow. There's an option to erase all passwords in FF. It's in the FF Options>Security tab. Try that.

will do. thanks!

it was all created in fun. and I know there are many here with a plethora of knowledge. Charles just seems to know a lot about cars and plumbing and what not and he seems to enjoy sharing his knowledge so thats why I created it. But as you see, a couple of members answered questions too and thats what its really all about. Getting answers to everyday things, not manyly things necessarily. He doesn't have to participate if he doesn't want to. There have been times he has answered household "mr. fixit" questions and I try to remember what thread something was in and can't. It would just be nice to find all things wondered in one big thread thats all. And the bottom line is its all for fun. We need more laughter in TPF sometimes as opposed to drama. But go ahead and close it if you want to.

Charles is pretty good with the relationship answers, too.

I have a car question! Charles, you say you "know a little about a lot of things", but I think you're selling yourself short. At least you sound like you know what you're talking about, which makes for a really good Jeopardy contestant:smile:

Ok, so my car is a 2008 and I've had it for about a year and a half. I have to park outside and live in the midwest (as in 8 months of cold weather). My rear brakes recently started sporadically making this high pitched squealing noise, and I only have 9k miles on the car! The dealer says I have rust on the rotors (?) from parking outside that needs to be ground off. I have a client who's the son of a mechanic, and he said it's not necessary to get the brakes serviced, that the rust will just fall off after time and driving it. Who's right? And should this really be happening after only 9k miles? The brakes on my last car lasted 60K miles! Thanks for your advice!

Charles is pretty good with the relationship answers, too.

Well, we gotta give it him sometimes you know.

No meds as in Zantac...stuff like that? I'm assuming you've tried Tums. Tums is technically a med, but it's Calcium Carbonate and almost 100% safe. Gives you Calcium too...which women need. If you don't want to take that or it doesn't work, try vinegar or some sort. Whatever you can stomach, I've heard both Balsamic or Apple cider. The vinegar neutralizes the acid in your stomach. If you can't handle taking a couple of shots, mix it in some water.

Apple cider huh? What about just regular apple slices? I hate tums. I will try the cider and see what's up ;)

I have a car question! Charles, you say you "know a little about a lot of things", but I think you're selling yourself short. At least you sound like you know what you're talking about, which makes for a really good Jeopardy contestant:smile:

Ok, so my car is a 2008 and I've had it for about a year and a half. I have to park outside and live in the midwest (as in 8 months of cold weather). My rear brakes recently started sporadically making this high pitched squealing noise, and I only have 9k miles on the car! The dealer says I have rust on the rotors (?) from parking outside that needs to be ground off. I have a client who's the son of a mechanic, and he said it's not necessary to get the brakes serviced, that the rust will just fall off after time and driving it. Who's right? And should this really be happening after only 9k miles? The brakes on my last car lasted 60K miles! Thanks for your advice!

Do they squeal when you first brake...after the car's been sitting for a bit? It could be rust, but I know we get a lot of rain down south and I've seen rust on my rotors, but have never really heard any squealing. Also, why would it be the rears only? Also, make sure that the rear parking brake is fully disengaged. It might be something like that.

Apple cider huh? What about just regular apple slices? I hate tums. I will try the cider and see what's up

I doubt apple slices would help. You mainly want the vinegar, as it's a bit less acidic on the ph scale (stomach acid is 1, vinegar is 3ish. Which makes me wonder why water wouldn't be better as it's a 7) and therefore will help neutralize the acid a bit. You could always try a spoonful of lime (the mineral, not fruit). It's ph is 12. ;)

Last edited:
I doubt apple slices would help. You mainly want the vinegar, as it's a bit less acidic on the ph scale (stomach acid is 1, vinegar is 3ish. Which makes me wonder why water wouldn't be better as it's a 7) and therefore will help neutralize the acid a bit. You could always try a spoonful of lime (the mineral, not fruit). It's ph is 12. ;)

holy crap charles. do you have a phd? I am always amazed at what you know....

I'm not THAT smart. Like I said, I know a little about a lot of things, and I do Google stuff for specifics. For example, I knew lime was a base, but I didn't know where it fell on the ph scale.