Asians & Oriental Prints?

cathe_kim

Aug 27, 2014
Hi! I'm not sure if I did the right thing by starting this thread. I was initially debating if I should post on the Asians & Hermes thread but didn't think it was appropriate. Mods - please move/remove if inappropriate:

I was recently gifted the Parures de Samouraïs shawl 140. It's the Samurai armor with tassels on the bottom corner (https://www.hermes.com/us/en/product/parures-de-samourais-shawl-140-H243071Sv03/) and is beautiful and gorgeous! The only thing is I feel like it has that "oriental factor". I'm Asian so I tend to stay away from oriental prints when it comes to clothes or accessories unless it's a traditional gown (for example a hanbok) or from that country. I haven't been able to wear it out yet as I feel awkward and maybe I'm just being self-conscious or paranoid? I haven't seen any of my Asian friends rock it yet nor have I seen them in oriental prints in general. I haven't been able to find many celebs from my country from a google search who rock it either. DH thinks I'm being self-conscious and no one will exactly know what print it is when I style it and to just enjoy (which I agree).

I guess what I'm trying to ask here is - am I being weird and awkward about the print? What are your thoughts?

Don't think you need to feel self conscious in anyway. Most people will just notice the pretty design and beautiful color. Most probably won't know it's PdS unless you mention it! Enjoy and wear it well!!

Reactions: cathe_kim
Don't think you need to feel self conscious in anyway. Most people will just notice the pretty design and beautiful color. Most probably won't know it's PdS unless you mention it! Enjoy and wear it well!!

Don't be sensitive about wearing something with the oriental design. It is beautiful and I'm Asian and wear this shawl all the time. No one would really notice except the tassels.

Thanks for reassurance! I don't know why I'm so hesitant when it comes to oriental prints. It is so beautiful and I love it! I guess no one will really know what print it is unless I inform them or unfold it in public and hold it up which will be quite a sight!

Wear it if you love it, but I know what you mean. Personally, I had a dress that eventually made me uncomfortable because of this issue, so I can relate. I think the reason why you may be uncomfortable is because the print is not a real Asian pattern, but instead a western interpretation of an Asian pattern. This has some historical and social connotations in decorative and fine arts (orientalism and chinoiserie), which you may be feeling a bit iffy about... but if you love the pattern, aesthetically, you should probably wear it anyway and see if you can grow to be comfortable with it. After all, while it may not be an “authentic” Asian pattern, it is beautiful in its own right. And if you decide not to keep it, well, I hear this scarf is quite sought after :amuse:

Wear it if you love it, but I know what you mean. Personally, I had a dress that eventually made me uncomfortable because of this issue, so I can relate. I think the reason why you may be uncomfortable is because the print is not a real Asian pattern, but instead a western interpretation of an Asian pattern. This has some historical and social connotations in decorative and fine arts (orientalism and chinoiserie), which you may be feeling a bit iffy about... but if you love the pattern, aesthetically, you should probably wear it anyway and see if you can grow to be comfortable with it. After all, while it may not be an “authentic” Asian pattern, it is beautiful in its own right. And if you decide not to keep it, well, I hear this scarf is quite sought after :amuse:
THIS!!! Thanks for explaining why I'm uncomfortable. I really think this hits the nail on the head. :tup:

It's was gifted by my husband's friend so I feel I owe it to her to wear it out in public and just get over it. As you said it is beautiful!

Well, you are not alone. I'm also a Kim and I didn't get that print for the same reason even though it seemed to be very popular here. But it is indeed beautiful and like others said, does not look "oriental" when worn. As long as it looks good on you, wear it proudly. The print has grown on me I might also look into getting one soon.

When my SA suggested Cheval d'Orient when I needed to get china, I cringed saying "I don't want something ORIENTAL!" But fast forward a year later, it became my go to pattern when I need to get plates or cups. I think minuit said it well above. It may not be authentic but it is beautiful in its own right.

Agree.. Wear the scarf & enjoy it.. The colorway you selected is lovely

Hi! I'm not sure if I did the right thing by starting this thread. I was initially debating if I should post on the Asians & Hermes thread but didn't think it was appropriate. Mods - please move/remove if inappropriate:

I was recently gifted the Parures de Samouraïs shawl 140. It's the Samurai armor with tassels on the bottom corner (https://www.hermes.com/us/en/product/parures-de-samourais-shawl-140-H243071Sv03/) and is beautiful and gorgeous! The only thing is I feel like it has that "oriental factor". I'm Asian so I tend to stay away from oriental prints when it comes to clothes or accessories unless it's a traditional gown (for example a hanbok) or from that country. I haven't been able to wear it out yet as I feel awkward and maybe I'm just being self-conscious or paranoid? I haven't seen any of my Asian friends rock it yet nor have I seen them in oriental prints in general. I haven't been able to find many celebs from my country from a google search who rock it either. DH thinks I'm being self-conscious and no one will exactly know what print it is when I style it and to just enjoy (which I agree).

I guess what I'm trying to ask here is - am I being weird and awkward about the print? What are your thoughts?

Thank you for initiating an interesting discussion! I don't think that you are being weird and awkward at all. I struggled with the same discomfort with this print. I thought it was so beautiful, but felt awkward about being a Korean-American wearing a Japanese-French print and wondered whether it might give off a cultural appropriation vibe, make me look like something I'm not, or inadvertently say something about complex historical imperialism.

I've put quite a bit of thought into the idea of cross-culturally inspired aesthetics, food, and art over the years. I swung pretty hard from one end (purism) to another (not caring at all), but settled on a generally accepting perspective based on the understanding that all cultures appropriate from others. All art borrows or steals. There is no culture that doesn't borrow something from another (whether it's an aesthetic, scientific innovation, or ethical concept). To me, as long as the interpretation is not exploitative, dismissive, or fetishistic, I'm no longer uncomfortable with the concept. I remain more sensitive to the appropriation of certain types of things (like significant religious or cultural objects and prints), but see aesthetic interpretations as a way to filter and derive inspiration for new expression. The entire concept is rather beautiful to me now. Why shouldn't people of any culture learn and borrow from other cultures?

I ended up getting the Samourai. I don't regret it at all, but appreciate it for what it is - a beautiful scarf I can wear many different ways. I don't feel awkward wearing it and I don't think that I look like I'm trying to be something I'm not, but you can be the judge of that. I'm attaching some modeling shots of the scarf worn different ways: IMG_20180409_090833.jpg IMG_20180412_095527.jpg IMG_20180412_110605.jpg

Well, you are not alone. I'm also a Kim and I didn't get that print for the same reason even though it seemed to be very popular here. But it is indeed beautiful and like others said, does not look "oriental" when worn. As long as it looks good on you, wear it proudly. The print has grown on me I might also look into getting one soon.

When my SA suggested Cheval d'Orient when I needed to get china, I cringed saying "I don't want something ORIENTAL!" But fast forward a year later, it became my go to pattern when I need to get plates or cups. I think minuit said it well above. It may not be authentic but it is beautiful in its own right.

That was my first thought when I opened the box at home!! I'm so relieved that you ended up liking the Cheval d'Orient pattern! It gives me hope that the Samourai might become a staple in my wardrobe!

Agree.. Wear the scarf & enjoy it.. The colorway you selected is lovely

Thank you!!

Thank you for initiating an interesting discussion! I don't think that you are being weird and awkward at all. I struggled with the same discomfort with this print. I thought it was so beautiful, but felt awkward about being a Korean-American wearing a Japanese-French print and wondered whether it might give off a cultural appropriation vibe, make me look like something I'm not, or inadvertently say something about complex historical imperialism.

I've put quite a bit of thought into the idea of cross-culturally inspired aesthetics, food, and art over the years. I swung pretty hard from one end (purism) to another (not caring at all), but settled on a generally accepting perspective based on the understanding that all cultures appropriate from others. All art borrows or steals. There is no culture that doesn't borrow something from another (whether it's an aesthetic, scientific innovation, or ethical concept). To me, as long as the interpretation is not exploitative, dismissive, or fetishistic, I'm no longer uncomfortable with the concept. I remain more sensitive to the appropriation of certain types of things (like significant religious or cultural objects and prints), but see aesthetic interpretations as a way to filter and derive inspiration for new expression. The entire concept is rather beautiful to me now. Why shouldn't people of any culture learn and borrow from other cultures?

I ended up getting the Samourai. I don't regret it at all, but appreciate it for what it is - a beautiful scarf I can wear many different ways. I don't feel awkward wearing it and I don't think that I look like I'm trying to be something I'm not, but you can be the judge of that. I'm attaching some modeling shots of the scarf worn different ways: View attachment 4037784 View attachment 4037785 View attachment 4037786

I'm pretty good with cross culture but when it's same culture.. I tend to pause but not when it comes to food :smile:. Thinking of the prints as an art is another great way to view/wear it. It changes one's perspective when you put it that way and eases the uncomfortableness.

Btw, such a lovely way you styled your scarf!!! You look amazing!!! Are they all the same scarf?

Reactions: Julide
This is a great topic. First, what a lovely gift! I have found it difficult too with certain designs because of my own ideas. I haven’t decided yet which side I’m on: but I think if you like the scarf wear it. You could also try it someplace where you would not feel so self conscious. I feel some places are better to wear “new” styles than others. Congrats on a beautiful present!!:flowers:

I ended up getting the Samourai. I don't regret it at all, but appreciate it for what it is - a beautiful scarf I can wear many different ways. I don't feel awkward wearing it and I don't think that I look like I'm trying to be something I'm not, but you can be the judge of that. I'm attaching some modeling shots of the scarf worn different ways: View attachment 4037784 View attachment 4037785 View attachment 4037786
Beautifully stated.

I’m Asian as well and 100% understand. It’s the same reason I don’t buy a kimono even though I think my tall blonde friends look amazing floating around in them. And every few years when Chinoiserie comes around as a trend, I avoid.

It can feel like a bad caricature (even though it’s not, especially from H.)

Your shawl is beautiful and if someone gave it to me I would wear it, especially since In this case there are ways to wear and fold it up so it doesn’t scream ‘Asian print’

I hope that you become more comfortable with this gorgeous shawl. I have it in the blue CW and the one you have is on my wish list.
Please share photos if/when you feel comfortable doing so.