Asians & Hermes

Status
Not open for further replies.

PJW5813

Sep 7, 2015
Do you not think that in this über PC world there is something
odd and out of place about the thread 'Asians & Hermes' that almost
headlines the list of all the Hermes topics?
It seems to me that this thread can now be seen as inappropriate and would be better closed.
One might reasonably ask, why not 'Americans & Hermes' or 'Indians & Hermes' or 'Africans & Hermes' or 'Australians & Hermes'?

Perhaps we should have an open discussion about it in the Hermes forum?

It was originally opened by IFFAH March 2006 and has been one of our most popular threads, open to everyone. We could close it, rename it, unsticky it or 'X'?

Just putting this out there (because I can predict the future ;) ). I think those that enjoy posting on it as a special interest thread may feel upset by closing it and could be seen as 'privileged' interference. This is why I think we need a discussion or poll before any drastic action.

Screen shot 2019-04-10 at 15.57.58.png

Reactions: bisousx
Do you not think that in this über PC world there is something
odd and out of place about the thread 'Asians & Hermes' that almost
headlines the list of all the Hermes topics?
It seems to me that this thread can now be seen as inappropriate and would be better closed.
One might reasonably ask, why not 'Americans & Hermes' or 'Indians & Hermes' or 'Africans & Hermes' or 'Australians & Hermes'?

The thread was started 13 years ago by an Asian member who realized that a lot of other Asian members shared a common passion of Hermes, so it became their hangout and sparked a lot of other discussion and discovery of other Asian celebrities who were seen out wearing their H bags and accessories. It was later pinned due to its popularity and high activity.

There is nothing derogatory or inappropriate about the thread or its contents, so I don't see why it should have to be closed or unpinned.

There certainly is nothing derogatory about the thread.

However I am disappointed that you cannot see how an ethnically defined thread could be viewed as inappropriate in 2019.

The Hermes in Action thread is a perfectly suitable platform for everyone to post pictures of themselves wearing Hermes.

As an Asian-Canadian, it's one of the few Hermes threads I'm frequently in. Especially for fashion tips since my personal style and body type is much closer to the stereotypical Asian than Hollywood physique; which makes gleaning fashion advice from Western sources a little more difficult to integrate into my own wardrobe. I enjoy the thread, and don't personally find it offensive to be put into the "Asian box"; and that's speaking as someone whose parents are from two different Asian countries and who's lived/living in 3 continents... I'm Asian, I look Asian and nothing about living and working in Canada or Australia will ever change that about me.

Honestly, if anyone wanted to start an "X and Hermes" thread, they should feel free to do so.

@PJW5813 The "Hermes in Action" thread is more for members of the forum to post their own photos, the "Asians and Hermes" is more of a collection of celebrity styles type thread.

If one does a PF search of "Asians" in "Titles" of threads, there are numerous threads dedicated to Asians--cosmetic surgery, clothes, on and on. There is also a thread title something like "Best color lipstick for African Americans", others about "Italian bla bla bla", "French bla bla bla". How about "Hermes in Singapore"? Skin whitening products for Asians?

The lengths to which some people go to claim being "offended" at something is rather bizarre.

Let's say Hermes or Gucci or Dior opened a factory to manufacture bags in, oh, let's see..... Cambodia or Nigeria, Guatemala, Bolivia, Egypt, Bangladesh, Laos, Iceland, Slovenia, Romania, Malaysia, Lithuania, Ukraine or Vietnam.

Don't tell me for one second the chronically offended would be clamoring to buy Birkins, Marmonts, etc if they were made outside of France or Italy. I mean, if we're supposed to be just one great big happy glob of people with zero distinctions living on big globs of land masses with zero distinctions, then who cares where anybody is from, or where anything is manufactured? From all the threads complaining about how the stitching and quality of Chanel and LV's have become crap anyway then why do we hold up France and Italy as the be-all-end-alls of high fashion?

I love ethnic threads about fashion, bags, food, travel, films, books etc. Differences are fascinating and should be celebrated, not stripped of their unique characteristics, histories and cultures. Now it's MY turn to BE OFFENDED and say that I don't want a world in where everybody just might as well be thrown into a giant Vitamix and be repackaged assembly line fashion with zero distinctions.

I mean, if we're supposed to be just one great big happy glob of people with zero distinctions living on big globs of land masses with zero distinctions, then who cares where anybody is from, or where anything is manufactured? .

A pile of straw man arguments. Nobody said anything like your characterization.

It's a legit topic, whether for here or the Hermes forum. Is it germane to the visual storytelling of a mainstream-product fashion thread--not a sociological dissertation, or coverage of indigenous or culturally specific styles--that the individuals are labeled as Asian, gay, Jewish, Latinx, etc? Would people want to see more LGBTQ and Hermes, Jews and Hermes, etc. threads? Does this do respectful and interesting storytelling, or is it reflexive laziness that lumps people anthropologically?

Last edited:
A pile of straw man arguments. Nobody said anything like your characterization.

It's a legit topic, whether for here or the Hermes forum. Is it germane to the visual storytelling of a mainstream-product fashion thread--not a sociological dissertation, or coverage of indigenous or culturally specific styles--that the individuals are labeled as Asian, gay, Jewish, Latinx, etc? Would people want to see more LGBTQ and Hermes, Jews and Hermes, etc. threads? Does this do respectful and interesting storytelling, or is it reflexive laziness that lumps people anthropologically?

If someone from the LGBTQ community wants to start a thread sharing how they love and wear Hermès, I would be all for it. There’s a difference between someone NOT from the community starting a thread talking about a minority group vs people in that community wanting to share a common interest in Hermès. As long as everything is done respectfully, I don’t see how that can be in any ways deemed offensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.